You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
xscore

The fun and the unfun - some advice

7 comments in this topic

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

After taking a short break for WoWS to adjust my schedule during summer break internship, I finally got back to playing this game.  Of course as a skrub with only 5000 games as someone who know many other players and am involved in the giving feedback on this game, I decided to re-start playing with a fresh perspective.  No longer do I feel pressured to win, but instead I just play in divisions nowadays to have fun with other players (in various different ways).  Here are some observations.

1. World of Warships is not a game to be taken seriously, as QnA implies.  Ships are balanced based on how they perform with respect to other ships, and buffed or nerfed if the devs feel like they are under or outperforming their peers too much (by how much, and by what metric we don't know).  WG communication has also stated that CVs such as Saipan are "fine".  You can infer how seriously they take game balancing from that.

2. Winning in this game is mainly about knowing what to do in each situation (as a player).  Carrying solo games is mainly about how well you can coordinate with your team, on top of knowing what to do as a solo player.  Div carrying is mainly about ship selection, followed by solo game sense + div coordination.

3. Taking this game less seriously and just trying to do the most in each match (which is quite fun cos being alive = can do things = potential to have fun) is the best way to both increase enjoyment and increase win rate.  Just play another game if you find matches unenjoyable.

4. Poor CV players, especially in high tiers are the most un-fun part of this game.  Doubly so if your AS/Balanced CV cannot even control the air over a strike loadout.

5. Fishing teams are fun to face against, if you are in a div of skilled players.  Otherwise having one (or multiple) of them in your team or the enemy team usually ends up in a steamroll, netting you little xp either way.  Of course you can afford to aggro more if your fishing team is winning for you (if that is your definition of fun), or play more proactively knowing that said players in fishing div can cover you.  But most of the time you get less xp and credits if they are on your team, and get steamrolled if they are on the enemy team.

6.  Being bottom tier while your top tier players feed can go both ways.  It can either be very un-fun, if you happen to be in tiers 5-7, and lack the survivability and DPM against higher tier survivors in the enemy team (you can only farm damage).  Or it could be very fun if you manage to get some "High impact (insert ship class here) play" and carry the team while bottom tier.

7. There are many situations with "no counterplay", or "very little counterplay at best" in this game.  Instances such as "radar cruiser Haven south spawn domination" or "Saipan who knows how to abuse strafe exit mechanics", or "Gearing Mino Hak", or "Belfast", or "Black, Balti, MO", or "Triple Black".  These mechanics are fun if you are the one abusing them, but very un-fun otherwise.  Of course WG has shown itself willing to change their maps over time, so maybe this will improve with time.

8. IJN DDs are more often than not driven by noobs who either torp at second line or YOLO into cap and die.  Very few players know how to ride the fine line between being close enough to torp while far enough to react to enemy DDs.

N. If there is anything else please feel free to add.

tl:dr don't take this game seriously, just div and have fun.  If you find yourself carrying to hard or losing too hard just play another game.

Edited by xscore

[LNA]
1,658 posts
10,425 battles

Too tired of fishing divisions and not fond of divisioning myself cause i have to w8 division mate to finish to continue playing.

However WG should take steps to lessen division impact on the battle , it is not fun for cv to play with a Haku + Mino+Mino combo or the triple smoke + radar abusing.

It is up to the point of no countering and no way to win, they have too much power.

Super Tester
1,296 posts
9,726 battles

Hopefully, the upcoming new PVE mode should allow most players to enjoy themselves casually, especially with more than 3+ players. :great:

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

8. IJN DDs are more often than not driven by noobs who either torp at second line or YOLO into cap and die. 

Oh dear, i hope I'm not one.   :ohmy:

Although I probably am. :(

317 posts
6,856 battles

8. IJN DDs are more often than not driven by noobs who either torp at second line or YOLO into cap and die.  Very few players know how to ride the fine line between being close enough to torp while far enough to react to enemy DDs.

IMO newer players prefer IJN DD because of the range of the torps, but don't really know how to position themselves properly. Trying to predict the direction of a ship that is located 10km away is a gamble in itself as the targeted ship only has to slow up as they engage someone else or turn a way so those torps are for nothing.

A DD on a cap with half a fleet incoming to attack and then the friendly pops smoke and blocks line of sight, rendering his own protection useless and dies almost straight away.

But to add to your points: Communication is a real issue also. The only time people seem to actually speak English is when they are either dead, or loosing. If people have the vocabulary to complain or "call people out", then they have the ability to communicate in the most basic form of English. And for those who don't understand Korean, Japanese etc, use your mini map and try to understand their actions and follow if "you" think your not risking your ship. 

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

well some guy in NA/EU said once, SEA server players have communicated each others but not coordinated :ohmy:

Asia server players cares only about saving own arse or farming own damage.