You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Moggytwo

Inter-class imbalance and how it is affecting the game

35 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,759 battles

To begin this discussion, I want to share some stats. These are the one week battles played stats for SEA, EU and NA as of 31 May.

Tier 10:

SEA, Tier 10 DD: 22227 24.2% CA/CL: 30200 32.9% BB: 38410 41.9% CV: 874 1.0% Total: 91711

NA, Tier 10 DD: 27467 30.1% CA/CL: 27561 30.3% BB: 34124 37.5% CV: 1955 2.1% Total: 91107

EU, Tier 10 DD: 67066 27.3% CA/CL: 71977 29.3% BB: 99075 40.4% CV: 7388 3.0% Total: 245506

Tier 7:

SEA, Tier 7 DD: 42472 21.1% CA/CL: 73026 36.3% BB: 69729 34.7% CV: 15942 7.9% Total: 201169

NA, Tier 7 DD: 49601 19.5% CA/CL: 87798 34.5% BB: 102619 40.3% CV: 14389 5.7% Total: 254407

EU, Tier 7 DD: 86377 18.5% CA/CL: 159755 34.2% BB: 187547 40.1% CV: 34008 7.2% Total: 467687

Now the thing that is immediately apparent when you look at these stats is that the DD population is very low, while the BB population is very high. It is less so at high tiers, and it differs a little by server, but that is quite clearly the trend.

Now I have a couple of questions based on this:

• Is this what WG want in terms of inter-class balance?

• What has caused this to be the case?

• What effect does this have on the game as a whole?

Let's start with the first question - 'Is this what WG want in terms of inter-class balance?'

I would suggest that's unlikely. However given that they haven't really made any effort to change it recently then perhaps they are comfortable with this balance? I remember back in CBT or OBT they said they wanted the balance to be around 25% DD's, 40% CA/CL's, 25% BB's and 10% CV's. This could well have changed but if they are still targeting this sort of balance then they have massively missed the mark. They also have said recently that there are too many BB's but no changes have been forthcoming to actually back up this comment.

Now the second question - 'What has caused this to be the case?'

Well I would argue it has to do with the relative power of each class. People want to play a class they do well in, and I would argue from personal experience that it is easier for a player of low-average skill to do well in a BB than the other classes. Don't take that as a personal attack, and I know there are plenty of thoroughly talented players that prefer BB's, but they are without a doubt more forgiving of mistakes than CA/CL's and DD's. For CA/CL's the classic trope of being deleted while broadside does happen, but if you play them well it's a rarity and they are highly capable ships, especially at high tier. This is reflected in the representation stats above.

As for DD's, I believe the reason they have dropped markedly in rep is due to the inconsistency of play for even the best players, and how vulnerable they are, especially now they are spotted much more than they used to be since 0.6.3. In terms of percentage of damage taken, a regular pen to a DD is roughly equivalent to a citadel on a cruiser, while an overpen is roughly equivalent to a reg pen. It's much easier to get reg pens on DD's than it is citadels on cruisers, while there is no overpen damage equivalent, which means DD's are taking much more damage than other ships when they are hit. It is also remarkably easy to hit a DD with a few shells out of a salvo when in the BB's optimum 12-13km range. I believe DD's actually get a little more survivable at high tiers (and thus their rep increases) because of the camping meta which pushes the BB's and CA/CL's out of their optimum range, making it harder to score consistent damage on DD's.

And the last question - 'What effect does this have on the game as a whole?'

Well this is a difficult one. Obviously given DD's main jobs are capping and spotting it means there is less of that. Less DD's mean that each DD lost has a more detrimental effect on your team than if there were more DD's. If you have one DD per team and you lose yours early (which is incredibly common given how much more damage they take now), then your team is at a massive disadvantage, and your team will generally move back, take more damage and do less damage due to the spotting difference, and often rapidly be at a cap disadvantage. Now what does this add up to? More steamrolls. People have been complaining about this recently, and I believe this is the reason why. There is no way of getting objective data on steamrolls now versus pre-0.6.3, but there is quite clearly an obvious line of reason that can be drawn here.

Now I would argue this lack of DD's is bad for all, even those of you who actively dislike having to deal with DD's. The game is designed around having DD's out there doing their job, and when they aren't then you are generally not going to be enjoying your game as you get pushed back, outcapped, and find it hard to locate targets while your team is pummeled. It doesn't matter what class you are in, this doesn't make for an enjoyable game.

So is this just the game we are getting going forward? Will WG do something to rebalance class representation, or is this something they are happy with? I honestly think this is the largest problem in the game right now, and is dramatically reducing the enjoyment factor for everyone over what the game could be.

I did post this on reddit earlier today, but I was interested in seeing the opinions of local players as well.

1,333 posts
8,823 battles

people prefer BB over DD, that's mainly why

Not to mention we are in the midst of the Bismarck campaign, which favours BBs for the completion of most tasks.

Edited by Thyaliad

294 posts
2,997 battles

I'll be dead honest, I don't play DDs much because I suck on it. I do and I admit it. Doesn't mean I am not trying to learn but being on the front lines in a fragile boat with torps all around, survival chance is a big toss up. Not to mention a US DD's detection range of a sore thumb doesn't really help. I mostly end up in the top 5 slots by xp earned but I die 99% of the time. Now with a BB my survival really goes up. I can engage and disengage as long as I don't over reach and I can do so by taking cover behind islands surviving a bit of punishment. But that doesn't work in DDz. With torps that barely reach 5km with you getting detected at 7, you don't really see yourself doing much but ninja gun fire while the enemy is occupied with someone else. And once they get sick of your pew pew, all guns turn on your puny ass even if a juicy BB is sailing broadside in front of them.

Edited by LonerPrime

1,125 posts

I think that's a 'room for mistake' of BB is relatively higher than other class, especially when play passively

CA ... got citadel by tier 10 BB even if not dead, it can literally put them out of action for whole match

DD ... Ha! when they got spot mean they too close to effectively dodge any shell, and tier 10 CA shell is no joke, 1 salvo 50% HP  gone

CA and DD have extremely narrow 'room for mistake'...

don't know about CV though, this class is balance breaker so... don't mind them 555

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,759 battles

The whole point of the thread is 'why do people prefer BB's over DD's?'

You're effectively saying 'because they do'.

What is it about the game that is making people choose to play BB's more than any other class?  It didn't used to be like this.  It was fairly balanced between classes in the past.  It's steadily got worse over the last year or so, and in the last couple of months it's been absurd.

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

I mostly play DDs for last 5 months and I can say pushing so many Radar is one of the biggest reasons why dds are reducing. Also because of mm imbalance with DD nation and radar distribution is another demotivation. It's not fun when you get chain radar'd. 

Increase in CV pops also reduce DD pops just by there sheer presence. Once you spot torps it stays spotted. Ijn dds are turned useless by CVS. Also at high tier, unicorn CV players go for dds first cause of dds are the threat.

Having inconsistent gameplay is not fun. No wonder people opt for bb or ca more. At least their gameplay is consistent and not totally ruined by mechanics.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

The whole point of the thread is 'why do people prefer BB's over DD's?'

You're effectively saying 'because they do'.

What is it about the game that is making people choose to play BB's more than any other class?  It didn't used to be like this.  It was fairly balanced between classes in the past.  It's steadily got worse over the last year or so, and in the last couple of months it's been absurd.

It has been like this since alpha where the number of BB fairly bigger than DD and Cruiser

Well

Lets talk about psychology rather than logical history

Bigger guns

Bigger ship

More Dakka

Very strong

Intimidating

Man romance

So you still dont get why people prefer BB over DD?

Very dense indeed

Edited by Harpoon01

980 posts
12,617 battles

Imbalance?

Forget inter-class imbalance. 

Bigest imbalance right now is higher-tier DD match ups. 

I love my Tashkent. 

But finding myself the only DD in my team vs 2 Fletchers on the enemy team is NOT fun at all. 

Edited by LordTyphoon

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,759 battles

It has been like this since alpha where the number of BB fairly bigger than DD and Cruiser

Well

Lets talk about psychology rather than logical history

Bigger guns

Bigger ship

More Dakka

Very strong

Intimidating

Man romance

So you still dont get why people prefer BB over DD?

Very dense indeed

No it hasn't been like that since alpha.  Look at tier 7 that I listed the one week stats for in the OP.  SEA server all time tier 7 BB battles - 7.8 million.  All time tier 7 DD battles 7.4 million.  5% difference, so basically negligible.

Now look at the one week stats - 69.7k BB battles vs 42.5k DD battles for SEA server.  A 65% difference. The other servers are worse, where BB's more than double DD numbers at this tier.

It seems that there have been over the life of the game, just as many people who play DD's as BB's.  This has massively changed recently.  Why is that?  Has a large percentage of people suddenly decided they prefer 'intimidating big ships with big guns' or is there perhaps something else at play here...

[LNA]
1,658 posts
10,425 battles

I think that's a 'room for mistake' of BB is relatively higher than other class, especially when play passively

CA ... got citadel by tier 10 BB even if not dead, it can literally put them out of action for whole match

DD ... Ha! when they got spot mean they too close to effectively dodge any shell, and tier 10 CA shell is no joke, 1 salvo 50% HP  gone

CA and DD have extremely narrow 'room for mistake'...

don't know about CV though, this class is balance breaker so... don't mind them 555

U are right for the most parts except for the last one , cv is neither balanced or OP or UP , it consists of 2 extremity and never so so. You either completely outplay him or get outplayed. Add to that extremity is the complete dependant on MM not putting too many AA ship on the list. In tiwr 9 and 10 cv having 2 AA cruisers that go 2 place can and will completely ruin your game experience no matter how good you are. I feel like i don t even need to be in the game if that happen since i am wasting a team slot and cant do jack with aa+ft combo

1,333 posts
8,823 battles

No it hasn't been like that since alpha.  Look at tier 7 that I listed the one week stats for in the OP.  SEA server all time tier 7 BB battles - 7.8 million.  All time tier 7 DD battles 7.4 million.  5% difference, so basically negligible.

Now look at the one week stats - 69.7k BB battles vs 42.5k DD battles for SEA server.  A 65% difference. The other servers are worse, where BB's more than double DD numbers at this tier.

It seems that there have been over the life of the game, just as many people who play DD's as BB's.  This has massively changed recently.  Why is that?  Has a large percentage of people suddenly decided they prefer 'intimidating big ships with big guns' or is there perhaps something else at play here...

As I mentioned earlier, it could be because we are in the middle of the bismarck campaign. A lot of the tasks are best done in BBs. So one week statistics would give you a skewed result.

A better method would be using 1 month stats or even longer to account for such situations. 

[MEGA]
4,562 posts
17,552 battles

also, people are now much more used to the idea of "everyone should shoot DD", including BBs, CAs might go 4k+ damage with their HE, but a well placed BB salvo can take 10k+ off, not to mention all the radars and KM hydro botes out there

1,125 posts

increase Radar range by 100% increase time by another 100%

but I can only show ship on mini-map, not a main screen that can be aim and shoot

plane can't detect DD that slower than 15 knot

once torpedo leave detection range, it turn invisible again

taa-daa!!  DD population boom!

... is okay to dream... right... it's dream:teethhappy:

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

The population of DD is lower than other class other than CV since alpha and has always been like that since

Got bloomed by the Otaku thingy that is Kancolle

And

Got bloomed again when the Russian DD tech tree comes around

And also the event that encourage BB play will of course change the number of other ship players

And vice versa

It has been like that since very long

So idk what you are worried about

There was even a case where 10 player in each team use battleship (arppegio event) AND MOST OF US DONT EVEN SURPRISED

Edited by Harpoon01

455 posts
8,038 battles

I prefer bb over DD because I always load late cos of crap laptop and if I do that in a DD I get 20 reports. And becos of bad network I get DC often and a DC DD is a dead DD. So I don't know why so many people like playing bb despite of being boring and hard to carry in

191 posts
10,626 battles

U are right for the most parts except for the last one , cv is neither balanced or OP or UP , it consists of 2 extremity and never so so. You either completely outplay him or get outplayed. Add to that extremity is the complete dependant on MM not putting too many AA ship on the list. In tiwr 9 and 10 cv having 2 AA cruisers that go 2 place can and will completely ruin your game experience no matter how good you are. I feel like i don t even need to be in the game if that happen since i am wasting a team slot and cant do jack with aa+ft combo

Haha especially the CV-DM-Minotaur div

307 posts
6,412 battles

I have just started playing my Tirpitz after having it in mothballs for about 5 mths.  I generally play DD's in the higher Tiers, but i found it very hard to stay alive long enough .... it is very situational, sometimes i rock and others i don't.  The problem in the higher tiers is that for a DD, your role is limited to just what you mentioned, capping and spotting without being able to get close enough to BB's as they are camping away.  Sure you can go into a knife fight with another DD and it will depend on your support vs their support on who will win.  Generally its smarter to disengage so that you can continue to add value to your team as knife fights between two DD's will leave one sunk and the other completely incapable of doing anything that will risk another shot sinking them.  So in short DD's are leaving in higher tiers .... hell i found it far more fun in my Tirpitz .... sinking a DD with secondaries, basically got within 9kms and tore him to shreds without having to do anything except dodge torps and keep firing at his support ships.   Secondaries on the Higher Tiered ships is all you need to sink a destroyer.   So yer why play DD's to spot and cap?
Edited by Burnt_Out_Koalas

1,386 posts
8,224 battles

IMO there's nothing wrong with high battleship population. A majority of the population were going for battleships when they started this game, they are the big ships with the ultimate brutality after all. The problem IMO is the reward for team support. Players should be encouraged to do team support more instead of simply looking at the damage counter.

Also, there's no clear connection between ship capabilities and popularity. After nerf Shimakaze was considered underpowered compared to other T10 counterparts like Gearing or Khabarovsk. But it has always been a very popular ship with more battles than Gearing and Khaba combined. Many players don't simply play the OP ship type. I played Minotaur a lot recently, despite her being rather not fun in SEA sniping meta. I like the ship's being of advanced technology, and the QF Mark N5's historically being a distinctive and very capable 6" dual purpose.

Edited by _Halcyon

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Wall of text, ok. This looks like it has merit.

Presentation of problems, checked.

Presentation of evidences from current & past, checked.

Presentation of resolution to the problem..... wait.... where is it?

Here I thought you have idea how to solve it. If you want to resolve this issue. Unfortunately, you can't change the community's preference to play the class they're not good at. Especially when the battleships is what players adore the most for its firepower & armor. Other classes requires moderate-level of skills & strategy to play it properly.

If you want the community to encourage to play other classes, they need a good learning materials. Within or outside WG websites & forums.

But in all my honestly & this very common in every game, everybody jumps the gun & play the thing without learning it at all.

Other games similar to this are in the same position as well.

'World of Tanks' to name it safely, as most players go for historical big firepower stuff like Tiger II & Maus.

If you ask me if this is an issue for 1 game. This is norm for most games.

If you want to know my preference. Currently, I'm flexible between battleship & cruiser, rarely (but good) play destroyer, and rarely (as getting supercontainer) play carrier.

Edited by Mingfang47

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,759 battles

IMO there's nothing wrong with high battleship population.

Well that's an interesting assertion.  You need to look at what effect different ship types have on the battle.  CV's I'll ignore since the game is designed to operate without them.

Firstly BB's.  They do very high damage with massive alpha salvos and they have high health pools, thick armour and heals to enable them to take a beating.  To balance this they are easy to hit at range and slow to maneuvre.  They are extremely effective against both destroyers and cruisers.

Next CA/CL's.  They do good damage, usually a bit below the average damage of BB's.  They are the most general purpose class and are effective against everything.  They can burn BB's down slowly, can devastate DD's and are really only vulnerable to BB AP, which can be mostly countered by good positioning.

Lastly DD's.  They have good alpha strikes with torpedoes, but these are very inconsistent, especially compared to the simplicity of landing BB AP shells, the other high alpha strike in the game.  They are able to burn down BB's and CA/CL's very slowly with their guns, but this leaves them very vulnerable.  They are extremely vulnerable to BB's under about 13km and CA/CL's under 11-12km if spotted.  Some are very effective at countering enemy destroyers.  Their main defence lies in their stealth, without this they are very easy to kill.  They are extremely good at capping and spotting given their low detectability.

Now if you have too many CA/CL's it doesn't really effect the game much, unless there are lots of radar ships.  CA/CL's are general purpose, they are effective against everything, without really countering anything.  Adding more isn't going to effect the meta massively.

If you have too many DD's, then this makes it difficult for people to push up without being spotted.  This can promote camping, however DD's will also spot enemy ships and screen for torps for their own team giving you the information to make the best decision on how to advance. It does mean that cap fights are fairly balanced and can swing back and forth numerous times during a battle.  This prolongs battles and makes them close.  I outlined the problem with too few DD's in the OP, but basically it makes it hard for teams that lose their few DD's early to spot or cap, meaning they lose rapidly, and can't fight back effectively.

If you have too many BB's, it discourages everyone from moving up. It encourages the CA/CL's to sit back and try and burn down the BB's rather than moving up to support the caps, since if they get into a poor angle then they can lose a lot of health.  It shortens the life span of DD's massively since it is so easy for a BB to take off huge percentages of DD health with a single salvo.  Excessive BB's make the game campy at some tiers, since they are so effective against anyone advancing.

I personally think the best balance for the game results in 2-4 BB's, 4-6 CA/CL's, 2-4 DD's and 0-1 CV's per team.

A majority of the population were going for battleships when they started this game, they are the big ships with the ultimate brutality after all.

If you look at historical DD vs BB numbers they are very balanced, so this simply isn't true.  In fact, cruisers have always been consistently the most popular class, until very recently.

Also, there's no clear connection between ship capabilities and popularity. After nerf Shimakaze was considered underpowered compared to other T10 counterparts like Gearing or Khabarovsk. But it has always been a very popular ship with more battles than Gearing and Khaba combined. Many players don't simply play the OP ship type. I played Minotaur a lot recently, despite her being rather not fun in SEA sniping meta. I like the ship's being of advanced technology, and the QF Mark N5's historically being a distinctive and very capable 6" dual purpose.

IJN DD's are still the most popular DD type on this server, and the main reason for this is play style.  The run and gun, high danger play style of other DD's is very off putting for someone who isn't very confident in their destroyer abilities, and it's a very comfortable and relatively stress free thing to try and sit back and spam torps without being spotted and hope for a hit.  It's the basic human instinct to hide coming into play.

Beta Tester
404 posts
1,148 battles

Wall of text, ok. This looks like it has merit.

Presentation of problems, checked.

Presentation of evidences from current & past, checked.

Presentation of resolution to the problem..... wait.... where is it?

Here I thought you have idea how to solve it. If you want to resolve this issue. Unfortunately, you can't change the community's preference to play the class they're not good at. Especially when the battleships is what players adore the most for its firepower & armor. Other classes requires moderate-level of skills & strategy to play it properly.

If you want the community to encourage to play other classes, they need a good learning materials. Within or outside WG websites & forums.

But in all my honestly & this very common in every game, everybody jumps the gun & play the thing without learning it at all.

Other games similar to this are in the same position as well.

'World of Tanks' to name it safely, as most players go for historical big firepower stuff like Tiger II & Maus.

If you ask me if this is an issue for 1 game. This is norm for most games.

If you want to know my preference. Currently, I'm flexible between battleship & cruiser, rarely (but good) play destroyer, and rarely (as getting supercontainer) play carrier.

But the population used to be balanced, why are they so imbalanced now?

the answer is simple,

the game now favours the BBs

BB's threats in the pass: CV, DD

Now? CVs are unplayable, DDs have got massive nerfs

BB's threats nowadays: Nothing

As a main DD&BB player, I have noticed that it's now difficult to take out BB by DD

and it's easy to encounter DD in a BB

People prefer the class that is easiest to play

which is now BB

What WG should do is buff CV and DD

then BB population will shrink

1,386 posts
8,224 battles

Well that's an interesting assertion.  You need to look at what effect different ship types have on the battle.  CV's I'll ignore since the game is designed to operate without them.

Firstly BB's.  They do very high damage with massive alpha salvos and they have high health pools, thick armour and heals to enable them to take a beating.  To balance this they are easy to hit at range and slow to maneuvre.  They are extremely effective against both destroyers and cruisers.

Next CA/CL's.  They do good damage, usually a bit below the average damage of BB's.  They are the most general purpose class and are effective against everything.  They can burn BB's down slowly, can devastate DD's and are really only vulnerable to BB AP, which can be mostly countered by good positioning.

Lastly DD's.  They have good alpha strikes with torpedoes, but these are very inconsistent, especially compared to the simplicity of landing BB AP shells, the other high alpha strike in the game.  They are able to burn down BB's and CA/CL's very slowly with their guns, but this leaves them very vulnerable.  They are extremely vulnerable to BB's under about 13km and CA/CL's under 11-12km if spotted.  Some are very effective at countering enemy destroyers.  Their main defence lies in their stealth, without this they are very easy to kill.  They are extremely good at capping and spotting given their low detectability.

Now if you have too many CA/CL's it doesn't really effect the game much, unless there are lots of radar ships.  CA/CL's are general purpose, they are effective against everything, without really countering anything.  Adding more isn't going to effect the meta massively.

If you have too many DD's, then this makes it difficult for people to push up without being spotted.  This can promote camping, however DD's will also spot enemy ships and screen for torps for their own team giving you the information to make the best decision on how to advance. It does mean that cap fights are fairly balanced and can swing back and forth numerous times during a battle.  This prolongs battles and makes them close.  I outlined the problem with too few DD's in the OP, but basically it makes it hard for teams that lose their few DD's early to spot or cap, meaning they lose rapidly, and can't fight back effectively.

If you have too many BB's, it discourages everyone from moving up. It encourages the CA/CL's to sit back and try and burn down the BB's rather than moving up to support the caps, since if they get into a poor angle then they can lose a lot of health.  It shortens the life span of DD's massively since it is so easy for a BB to take off huge percentages of DD health with a single salvo.  Excessive BB's make the game campy at some tiers, since they are so effective against anyone advancing.

I personally think the best balance for the game results in 2-4 BB's, 4-6 CA/CL's, 2-4 DD's and 0-1 CV's per team.

If you look at historical DD vs BB numbers they are very balanced, so this simply isn't true.  In fact, cruisers have always been consistently the most popular class, until very recently.

IJN DD's are still the most popular DD type on this server, and the main reason for this is play style.  The run and gun, high danger play style of other DD's is very off putting for someone who isn't very confident in their destroyer abilities, and it's a very comfortable and relatively stress free thing to try and sit back and spam torps without being spotted and hope for a hit.  It's the basic human instinct to hide coming into play.

Cruisers are actually the most snipe intensive class in high tiers. They don't need very accurate shooting as HE don't really care, they have very good RoF making adjusting aiming position possible. And the fixed HE penetrate make getting close for penetration unnecessary. High tier CA have better effective range than battleships. Some ships even have better shell speed than battleships. RUSHian CL's 152mm/KM 203mm have better shell speed than BB till mid range. RUSHian 180mm/Zao 203mm can go mid-long, and 220mm have the fastest shell speed all range.

Battleships are certainly the best type for doing damage, but they are not good at team support. They lack the concealment for close DD support, can't do AA screen, and can't protect team unlike DD which can smoke and spot torps, and they can't do spotting.

Camping is not something related to a single ship class. With overpopulated BB or CA/RUSHian CL, people are forced to keep range for survival. With overpopulated DD/British CL, there goes excessive smoke. Camping is not solved by reducing the numbers of a particular ship type. People would naturally focus on the ship easiest to hit, and if one ship goes up unsupported it gets easily deleted by concentration. And most people are reluctant to go up as by keeping range, the people with good gunnery skills can maximize their DMG caused/DMG received ratio. With good number of BBs, people can at least shoot at something when sniping, but when there are too many cruisers, they are hard to hit at long range due to maneuverability, but people won't push, they simply snipe and wait for some lucky hits.

Historical numbers? It's not really important as the performance isn't historical. In fact I always consider high tier cruisers too attractive, they can be good at all classes, and they are very relaxing to play. Zao, being a plan only ship with absolutely no historical importance*, has a really large player base. My clan of the same name got almost full by the third day of creation, with no effort of recruitment attempts. Players get Yamato for the cultural significance, the symbol of IJN, the biggest warship in WWII, and the being of an expensive capital ship, and the shocking size of the monster. But players choose Zao simply because it's fun, relaxing, annoys other people and reduces karma counts.

*Zao is based on the performance requirements of the maru-6 type A cruiser. There was no blueprint, and the main battery guns were never planned or produced.(the plan simply called for 12*8" guns, layout and gun performance was not specified. IMO it's most probably the same 8"/50 3rd mk2 guns as previous IJN CA, with 6 twins in layout either similar to a pre reconstruction Furutaka or a Worcester) Most part of the ship was actually a creation by a modern Japanese magazine.

If they simply want safe relaxing game play, why not build Gearing as a torps boat? Gearing's torps had longer range than the 93m3 or F3, and had better concealment. Gearing also have better smoke. AFAIK many people play Shimakaze because the Shimakaze Kan-Colle figure was cute.

Edited by _Halcyon