You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ahwai82

Colorado very weak or i angle wrong?

24 comments in this topic

[LYNMF]
991 posts
11,625 battles

everytime i stay angle and they angle but these amagi and NC will take 10K+ off me

i stay at a angle, how should i say the back 2 turrets in not position to fire, is it not enough angle they can pen super structure too easily?

please enlighten me my masters to git gud

[LNA]
1,666 posts
10,474 battles

Colorado armor is all or nothing , meaning anything that dont touch either the belt or the citadel armor will over pen or pen , you will need to bait the enemy to shoot your well angled belt rather than your bow.

15 inches + gun will have no problem penning you from any angles due to the nothing part cover most of the spot. Dont let them shoot your bow , aft and try so that the shoot go into the armored belt.

Colorado struggle vs tier 8+ as they can handily overmatch the bow and citadel you ( Nagato can do this too ) so never ever go bow on until North Carolina.

Dont show your 2 back turrets unless u are sure no shots can connect you during the next 20 sec ( turn back , reangle)

That said , Colorado is slow , so try side scraping against an island and minimize fighting within 12km , stay near 14-15km.

Showing about 20-30 degree of angle against incoming shots are your best bet. You can do nothing against shots that go into the superstructure , so angle so that the conning tower to cover the incoming shot

Super Tester
7,571 posts
8,001 battles

You will get penned by 203 to 406 and 410 mm guns from any angle. But as long as you don't show your broadside, it's not the end of the day. You can repair most of the incoming damage if you live long enough.

313 posts
10,074 battles

in colorado, u must master in controlling distance from enemy fleet, 17km - 14km,

and wiggle with your TIGHT turning radius, so tight that you don't think colorado is a BB

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,569 battles

only thing angleing does for you is reduce your profile in the colorado, nothing else you can do about it since 406+ shells will over match you regardless

[LYNMF]
991 posts
11,625 battles

still sucks facing t8 and T9 all the time, no matter what angle keep taking huge damage and get sunked

even sail together with my team high tier everyone target me..sigh

worst still everytime there is a cyclone and at 8km become easy meat for these t8 t9

very rough everytime i see im the lowest tier bb

353 posts
5,015 battles

think of it this way... if they can cit you, you can cit them too.
that said recently there is too much tier up problem, probably all the T6 are stuck inside ops newport defense

[LYNMF]
991 posts
11,625 battles
On 13/06/2017 at 3:34 PM, cplbao said:

think of it this way... if they can cit you, you can cit them too.
that said recently there is too much tier up problem, probably all the T6 are stuck inside ops newport defense

everyone bow on now, only chance is when they angled towards other ships but very rarely find oppurtunity like this

i have been up tiered for a long time not only recently lol sometimes its fun sometimes downright frustrating

4 hours ago, LordTyphoon said:

You definitely angled wrong. 

I miss playing the Colorado... 

so how to angled correctly against t8 t9?

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

even if you angle right, she was softer than Nagato

the key would be the Heal

Colorado heal is much more potent.

so effective tanking in Colorado require player to be mindfull when they must stop attracting/exert aggresion to recover and heal up

it can be very difficult to utilize

[LNA]
1,666 posts
10,474 battles
3 hours ago, ahwai82 said:

everyone bow on now, only chance is when they angled towards other ships but very rarely find oppurtunity like this

i have been up tiered for a long time not only recently lol sometimes its fun sometimes downright frustrating

There is no way to angled against 16 inches as the shells will likely hit softer areas than the protected ones.

Against anything smaller than 16 you can angle yourself to provide immunity but the shells had to hit the armoured area ( conning tower , turret face , main belt ) , anything else will pen , thats how soft you are.

Colorado is slow , so your first task is to find somewhere to hide within 12-15km away from the enemy that allow you to back off and heal in peace !!

Dont provoke confrontation just for some damage , if you are bottom of the food chain , w8 till enemy bb have fired then open fire yourself.

Your nbr 1 enemy is HE spamming cruisers , kill them first 

Get Concealment Expert , US BB has reasonable camo factor , it will help you disengage when things get too hot

IF you spawn too far away from protection or nowhere to hide make sure never to open fire first , you dont want to be focused b4 you get into a good location

[LYNMF]
991 posts
11,625 battles

the last few days i focus on playing only colorado and result is sailing in, doing good damage and carry a little in some match..i hit them hard i ran then i come back again

even in T9 match i did 49K to a iowa before i go down but no shame in that im 2 tiers lower but at least i don't go down doing nothing

sadly i have NC now and i started to love colorado towards the end, but it stays in my port forever

and yea, much much better than nagato and gneisenau.....personal preference

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

okay here is the catch.. angling is one thing and being bow on is another.. sometimes I did that as well thought I was angled but I was being bow on.. Then again NC's shells are gonna pen you from any angle.. but not the same with Amagi's shells that means he is hitting the super structure which does good amount of damage..

U are best at mid range battles with higher tier BBs and angling is important not being just bow on... 

[LYNMF]
991 posts
11,625 battles
1 hour ago, Aaditya_AJ said:

okay here is the catch.. angling is one thing and being bow on is another.. sometimes I did that as well thought I was angled but I was being bow on.. Then again NC's shells are gonna pen you from any angle.. but not the same with Amagi's shells that means he is hitting the super structure which does good amount of damage..

U are best at mid range battles with higher tier BBs and angling is important not being just bow on... 

makes not much difference, these higher tier bb will pen no matter what angle im in..can only reduce the damage i take by angling..also become a victim of bbq and cant chicken run fast enough..so nothing i can do about it other than swallow them

at least the gun makes up for the short comings

Super Tester
7,571 posts
8,001 battles

You can't angle against 380mm and up. As far as I remember I used to stop and turn in maneuver to dodge shells. That's right, you have to dodge, not tank. 

One of the most important thing in Colorado is, when you push, you always push towards land Mass or hard cover. So that you can take shelter behind those.

Colorado is a damn good bb. She teaches you positioning and patience and the importance of good aim. Use your heals properly and you unleash the true power of Colorado. Regardless of tier. AP pen doesn't increase that much from t7 to t9. You are fine as long as you are not caught in the open or eat citadel shots.

346 posts

Use the landscape, That what I did, You shoot at them before going behind that an island, when there are no island, just go bow on, that minimises damage either that or sail bow on, turn to fire from all guns (about 50 degrees) which they then get baited to go for that citadel then turn back to 35 degrees which bounces shots of the belt then turn back to fire all guns again repeat this over and over again (and go 20 knts always, don't slow down to camp cause thats bad, even if there are no CVs due to time for acceleration and stoping makes easy target, avoid expose but that 21 knt works both ways, it will either result in a fiery death for you or prevent you from wandering too far. Get concealment expert cause then then that allows you to get close before being detected, HE is underrated for how many 1 hit K.Os it has given me (on DDs and some light cruisers - i.e British, Russian, german but not 'murican Clevelands), He is useful gainst BBs, fire HE then wait for repair then fire again, after those 2 salvos fire AP if they show their sides if not let them burn, Damage over Time works on BBs quite well when you can't pen armour.

[LYNMF]
991 posts
11,625 battles
9 hours ago, Aaditya_AJ said:

Stay behind the bigger BBs when you are uptiered.. only thing I can say to you..

8 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

You can't angle against 380mm and up. As far as I remember I used to stop and turn in maneuver to dodge shells. That's right, you have to dodge, not tank. 

One of the most important thing in Colorado is, when you push, you always push towards land Mass or hard cover. So that you can take shelter behind those.

Colorado is a damn good bb. She teaches you positioning and patience and the importance of good aim. Use your heals properly and you unleash the true power of Colorado. Regardless of tier. AP pen doesn't increase that much from t7 to t9. You are fine as long as you are not caught in the open or eat citadel shots.

4 hours ago, BravaZulu296 said:

Use the landscape, That what I did, You shoot at them before going behind that an island, when there are no island, just go bow on, that minimises damage either that or sail bow on, turn to fire from all guns (about 50 degrees) which they then get baited to go for that citadel then turn back to 35 degrees which bounces shots of the belt then turn back to fire all guns again repeat this over and over again (and go 20 knts always, don't slow down to camp cause thats bad, even if there are no CVs due to time for acceleration and stoping makes easy target, avoid expose but that 21 knt works both ways, it will either result in a fiery death for you or prevent you from wandering too far. Get concealment expert cause then then that allows you to get close before being detected, HE is underrated for how many 1 hit K.Os it has given me (on DDs and some light cruisers - i.e British, Russian, german but not 'murican Clevelands), He is useful gainst BBs, fire HE then wait for repair then fire again, after those 2 salvos fire AP if they show their sides if not let them burn, Damage over Time works on BBs quite well when you can't pen armour.

at first i play with rage going forward too much going places i shouldnt end up i get sunked quick

then change my brain lol play with more patience dont fire when i shouldnt wait for my chances then results comes in, citadel devastating strike and actually i do well to help win a match plus bonus getting confederate and high caliber badges

i love colorado now :Smile_Default:

980 posts
12,617 battles
On 2017-6-14 at 7:09 PM, ahwai82 said:

Theres always a way for the enemy to do damage to you. All you can do is give your enemy the least opportunity to land hits, or the least opportunity to land good hit. 

The Amagi is also an accurate ship, so he may have managed to get 7-8 410mm overpens on you by shooting your superstructure or something. Or he smartly shot through your bow. Or maybe he landed 2 lucky penetrating hits for around 4k damage per shell, and then an overpen or two through your superstructure, I don't know. But sounds like you were being shot at by skilful players. 

Just keep angling and keep that citadel protected, at T8 and T9 it's going to be a struggle anyway. 

Edited by LordTyphoon

118 posts
1,833 battles

There was one battle I had in my colorado in which I just spotted a lone enemy gneisenau showing his broadside. Well, I thought, he'll be a easy kill for me. I just approached him when a NC and an Iowa suddenly popped up(NC to the northwest and Iowa to the northeast ). I was now on the defensive, trying to angle my belt armour against those guys. Somehow, I managed to deflect NC's shots, but the Iowa basically chewed  up my citadel for 30k damage and  the remaining 20k in two salvoes. What did I do wrong here?

(Engagement range was somewhere between 10 and 12 km.)

Super Tester
7,571 posts
8,001 battles
16 minutes ago, Admiral_224 said:

There was one battle I had in my colorado in which I just spotted a lone enemy gneisenau showing his broadside. Well, I thought, he'll be a easy kill for me. I just approached him when a NC and an Iowa suddenly popped up(NC to the northwest and Iowa to the northeast ). I was now on the defensive, trying to angle my belt armour against those guys. Somehow, I managed to deflect NC's shots, but the Iowa basically chewed  up my citadel for 30k damage and  the remaining 20k in two salvoes. What did I do wrong here?

(Engagement range was somewhere between 10 and 12 km.)

Where to begin, how about map awareness? How did you fail to see that two higher tier battleships were there too. You say they popped up at around 12 to 13 km, which are their concealment ranges, and that also means you were the first on the line. What were you doing there in the first place. Colorado is not a front line ship unless you are overwhelming enemy's force.

Edited by icy_phoenix

118 posts
1,833 battles

I did not see them on my map , in fact I never saw those two until that point of time. Not to mention, I did not do a banzai charge against the enemy. I just got engaged only by those two in an open area and my team was just a step behind me and they managed to kill them a little later.

(The map was shatter and the main part of the fight was in point B. I kept away from there.)

17 posts
7,887 battles
Just now, Admiral_224 said:

I did not see them on my map , in fact I never saw those two until that point of time. Not to mention, I did not do a banzai charge against the enemy. I just got engaged only by those two in an open area and my team was just a step behind me and they managed to kill them a little later.

(The map was shatter and the main part of the fight was in point B. I kept away from there.)

+End o the day, you can be caught out with a colorado. Its slower, and inferior in basically every way to a nc or iowa, If An aggressive captain wants, he will be able to maneuver to kill you.  All you can do is try and be in a postion so it costs them their ships if they do. 

I ditched my Colorado the second i had my nc, so cant really give advise on how to use it. I  kept the New Mex (fantastic bb, excellent $ maker) all the way to the Montanna.. I love USN BB. But must confess at the time i had the colorado, its arty distribuition was just stupid, had to be inside 10k to hit anything(even then all shells could fall forward n aft o a broad side bb)... been several buffs since then mind