Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
izanagi59

IJN or USN Cruiser?

19 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
141 posts
2,261 battles

As you know japanese cruisers have topedoes and not for US, but US have more AAA (some people said it).

But, for high tier (VII or up) japanese cruisers, they have lot of AAA too, so what do you think? Can you explain me what are their advantages? 

And what are you going to choose, IJN or USN???:honoring:

Beta Tester
86 posts
208 battles

:B *puts on hipster glasses* USN because IJN is too mainstream. Not to mention all those "poi poi poi" in game.

But seriously, it depends on the preference of the player. If he wants better gunnery, USN all the way (until the Kriegsmarine come), they have better cannons and rof. IJN cruisers seem to fall on the versatility thanks to their heavy compliment of torpedo and just on par guns.

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

How about armor and speed?

AFAIK the IJN cruisers are a little faster, and the armor is about comparable.

Beta Tester
17 posts
995 battles

My impression so far:  

While the USN have better 'on paper' AA stats, I found I was killing similar amounts of aircraft on either. AA is kind of hard to make effective; good CV players usually don't have their planes fly directly over cruisers. The only time I seem to shoot down a decent amount of planes is either the planes are bombing me, in which case, they usually die after they've already dropped their load, or if they're retreating after already bombing our BBs.  So in reality the AA seems pretty much comparable - not really game changing.   Torpedoes are so overpowered, that these are actually game changers. When you manage to fire a broadside (Senjo has 15x 610mm long lance broadside - each boasting about 20k damage) and hit a BB and sink it, their team suddenly has 1 less BB and the tide of battle turns in your team's favour. Torps can also be used to force ships away from an area, and make the player so distracted trying to dodge them, they are suddenly not firing or are less accurate. 

No game was won by shooting down 1 or 2 extra planes due to your elite AA. The Des Moines, though, has 12x2 76.2mm/50s which have a range of 5.7km (base, without skills or mods), which would probably be able to extend the AA pretty much over half your team - this ship would be the ultimate in AA.    Bear in mind, these are Tier X, so take a while to unlock as well as you're up against equally skilled Tier Xs. 

To sum (just remember, there are plenty of exceptions to these)

USN mid tiers have excellent AA and guns

I find are more bulky and slower, with slower turning

Slightly more hitpoints

Armor seems the same as IJN, with some exceptions

Aesthetically appear more unique between each ship - the New Orleans looks smexy. Baltimore and Des Moines look the same, and are square/boring to look at (IMO). I do like the blue paint theme though.

IJN seem to handle better and are somewhat faster,

Their guns are slightly less powerful, however, generally have more

Torps are overpowered, with a low skill level to use.

The AA seems to, in reality, shoot down similar amounts of planes. 

Aesthetically similar, longer, smoother curves. Senjo looks sexy. Most of the others are kinda ugly :P

I always hate playing the same class or tank/boat as everyone, so usually opt for the underdogs. Some battles there's 80% USN cruisers, others there's 80% IJN cruisers - can't tell which nation is played more at this stage. I've seen no Ibuki, but I've seen heaps of Baltimores. 

Beta Tester
17 posts
995 battles

USN serve ice cream in the mess. And turkey.

I like ice cream.

But when the RN comes, I'm going aboard for their rum.

Bring on the Marine Nationale! The French had some of the best ships at the start of WW2. It's a shame the government caved in to Hitler so quickly.

Also, french food is delicious! Did they serve escargot? 

Edited by Teatime_1

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,971 battles

Bring on the Marine Nationale! The French had some of the best ships at the start of WW2. It's a shame the government caved in to Hitler so quickly.

Also, french food is delicious! Did they serve escargot? 

Which is why I guess it's a shame Winston Churchill and Britain decided to blow them out of the water... with the French sailors still onboard, when France surrendered.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Which is why I guess it's a shame Winston Churchill and Britain decided to blow them out of the water... with the French sailors still onboard, when France surrendered.

Problem is there's a possibility (in fact quite some chance) the French Navy will be adopted by the Germans. Remember, Britain is still quite desperate at the time, and the French got some Nasty ships - Dunkerque and Richelieu (Nearly finished). If the Germans got their hand on these ships it will be a nightmare for the British Navy and Convoys. Also the Force H actually gave an warning before opening fire - Somerville warned the French. Personally I would considered this as neccessary evil.
Edited by Alvin1020

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

The quality of USN and IJN armor are almost the same

but IJN armor miserably vurnerable since the even a crack can become worse if not get fixed fast

RN armor were the best in quality with All or nothing. It is a method of armoring battleships, which involves heavily armoring the areas most important to a ship while the rest of the ship receives significantly less armor. Instead of covering Deck, Belt and Bulge entirely

this method later used by USN in their battleships (See BB59 - USS Massachusetts)

Edited by Harpoon01

Beta Tester
141 posts
2,261 battles

The quality of USN and IJN armor are almost the same

but IJN armor miserably vurnerable since the even a crack can become worse if not get fixed fast

RN armor were the best in quality with All or nothing. It is a method of armoring battleships, which involves heavily armoring the areas most important to a ship while the rest of the ship receives significantly less armor. Instead of covering Deck, Belt and Bulge entirely

this method later used by USN in their battleships (See BB59 - USS Massachusetts)

Vulnerable? So do you mean that it is easy to critical or destroying japanese cruiser's gun or rudder??

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Vulnerable? So do you mean that it is easy to critical or destroying japanese cruiser's gun or rudder??

their armor, even tough can eat a lot of shells, once she damaged the crack will be the one that sunk her,. hard to repair and can be wider by itself (Except Yamato which very thick)

and sometimes i call IJN ship : Papership

Edited by Harpoon01

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Note that since IJN cruisers carry torps, if you're EXTREMELY unlucky (like me, earlier), a magazine detonation can possibly kill you outright.

Was in my Kuma-class, enemy Kawachi fired on me, at least two shots went in the water, but I went from full HP to zero. Chalking it up to a torp detonation, since that sort of thing happened during WWII too (and is the reason why USN cruisers do not carry torps).

[MOIST]
Beta Tester
10 posts

USN cruisers have the forte of fire power and durability while IJN cruisers have the forte of speed and flexibility but is much more softer that their counter parts.    

(correct me if im wrong)

Beta Tester
141 posts
2,261 battles

Note that since IJN cruisers carry torps, if you're EXTREMELY unlucky (like me, earlier), a magazine detonation can possibly kill you outright.

Was in my Kuma-class, enemy Kawachi fired on me, at least two shots went in the water, but I went from full HP to zero. Chalking it up to a torp detonation, since that sort of thing happened during WWII too (and is the reason why USN cruisers do not carry torps).

When i used fuso, i killed 2 kumas in 1 game, she is really soft, only 1 shot and she died. But, i have kuma in my port and when i'm playing it, i always try avoid battleships. But, i have killed one kongou in one-on-one battle 

Beta Tester
1 post
320 battles

As many has stated, it all comes down to individual preference. Honestly at this stage, there is no "wrong" answer. I myself tried both line and found myself split 50-50 on which line is my favourite

P.S i have yet to try torping... so excuse my noobness

Edited by Rommie

Sign in to follow this