You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

10 comments in this topic

159 posts
5,676 battles

It's a topic the comes up every now and then, the ability for fighters to have some sort of attack against ships, like strafing with cannons or rockets. I'd like to tweak the idea a bit and instead propose a fourth category of aircraft; the fighter-bomber, in air to air it would be weaker than the pure fighters (slowed down by the weight of those bombs etc) and in the air to surface it would be weaker than the pure dive bombers (having to carry lighter bombs to maintain air to air performance etc.) Because of the nature of Fleet aviation there are a number of example of aircraft that have served such porposes, the Skua, Mosquito, Firefly and Corsair to name a few.

Basically they could operate just like the current fighters and dive bombers do just as an inferior mix, though I'd love to see the graphics for a rocket and cannon strafing run. :popcorn:

Anyway, I'd love to hear peoples' thoughts, especially those that actually play CVs or are interersted in playing them.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

*stare at the dev team*

I don't think that's a missed for the development team. I'm waiting for WG to implement them if they willing.

Edited by Mingfang47

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

They havent got a good balance for CV

But I am Sure this already on their What to do list

In fact this already been suggested long long ago

159 posts
5,676 battles

They havent got a good balance for CV

But I am Sure this already on their What to do list

In fact this already been suggested long long ago

I'd be interested to have a read, was it suggested on the Asia forums? (I did do a search here before I posted). Also I hope it is already on their "what to do" list but if not WG please consider it.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

I'd be interested to have a read, was it suggested on the Asia forums? (I did do a search here before I posted). Also I hope it is already on their "what to do" list but if not WG please consider it.

Probably already sunk in the deep of the forum

Not even search engine helps

159 posts
5,676 battles

Probably already sunk in the deep of the forum

Not even search engine helps

Well in that case, anybody who feels a fighter-bomber hybrid would be a great addition can voice their support here (or their opposition if they dissagree) just to let the devs know that it's still on the community radar :)

Once again, thanks to everybody who's posted a reply, even you MatterCore with your slighty dark humoured kamikaze joke :P While I know WG have absolutely ruled out the Devine Wind, it would be an interesting dynamic if there was a chance that an aircraft shot down had a chance of hitting your ship and doing impact damage, enven then that's probably a bridge to far.

159 posts
5,676 battles

I'd like to see the option of if you're attacked by fighters then your FB can release their armament early to fight with more efficiency.

That's a cool idea about being able to release the bombs early to increase fighting capability - just better make sure none of your own ships are below!

Video Contributor
2,259 posts
10,776 battles

If FT had some good advantage as rocket(HVAR) or bomb

USS will be op i guess (F6F got HVAR and 250lbs, AD2 had super carry HVAR x12+1000lbs LOL)

Meanwhile IJN B7A can carried maximum 800kg bomb (as heavy as torpedo) but in game where is 800kg! 250kg!

159 posts
5,676 battles

If FT had some good advantage as rocket(HVAR) or bomb

USS will be op i guess (F6F got HVAR and 250lbs, AD2 had super carry HVAR x12+1000lbs LOL)

Meanwhile IJN B7A can carried maximum 800kg bomb (as heavy as torpedo) but in game where is 800kg! 250kg!

I'm not advocating for having Corsairs with Tiny Tims wrecking havok all over the place, (although lets be honest, which US CV captain wouldn't love that) there would obviously have to be quite a lot of thought put into balance but I think it is possible. The japanese did actually have rockets (though mostly at the expermintal level only), and various aircraft mounted auto cannons that can be included. After all there are several ships in the game that were nothing more than plans in real life, so it would be possible to fit out both US and Japanese fighter-bombers with a balanced loadout be that bomb, rocket or cannon.