You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HMS_Swiftsure_08

Need help with Mahan.

7 comments in this topic

1,386 posts
8,250 battles

So I've been grinding through the USN DD line as I want a division destroyer and US DD's great smoke can do awesome. I started this line late 2015 and gave up halfway with a few games in Farragut.

The problem is I find Mahan much hard to play. The concealment is extremely bad. At 6.9km when fully upgraded, it's worse than Russians of the same tier. Maneuverability is rather bad, and the hull is kinda large, making it easy to hit by enemy ships when dogfighting. Firepower is not dissimilar from Farragut, but at a tier higher.

Currently I have no problem doing damage, and my average EXP seem rather good. But I have a low W/R on this ship. So any tips for playing this ship?

(Currently build: hull B with upgraded torps, stock FCS. Captain skill: Priority target Preventive maintenance Last stand Survivability expert Concealment expert)

[MEGA]
4,574 posts
17,576 battles

@xcore

yo dude, guide this lost lamb to "xscore's church of mahan is OP" and enlighten him on the prowess of your almighty t7 waifu, shine the light of USN upon this wandering soul and bring him into your fold

Super Tester
7,585 posts
8,005 battles

Mahan is very good gunboat, she is tanky as well. Has long distance torps first on the line, long duration smoke and the guns are much better than previous tiers.

You have to be careful about your concealment. Worst of the tier. CE and RDF and SE are must have. You don't care about enemy dd, be more careful about what's behind them. 

Mahan may be the crappiest mid tier usn DD, it is still usn. That means you shat on enemy dds in knife fight.

Your main opponents will be sims, blyskawica and sometimes maass. Trade carefully with these. Take preemptive action when you sense incoming torps. She is big and sluggish. Don't take C hull.

Position wise, always focus on caps and dds in cap. Damaging their ships who are not near cap isn't your job. You are playing usn DD. You either go for win or go for damage. Not both. My mahan winrate is around 69% with only 38k average damage. But Benson is so much better that I somehow grinded mahan fast just to get rid of her.

Edited by icy_phoenix

295 posts
6,613 battles

mahan is nice, yes faragut maybe better but mahan gameplay is not really that different from faragut, you go to cap, pop smoke, angled your ship to potential enemy torpedoes, launch your torps to enemy smoke if there is any, and just press left click to enemy battleships and you can farm damage really easy and congratulations, you're officially unicum (that's literally what i did in my mahan and i hve 58% wr)   

520 posts
11,127 battles

Since the Buff of Mahan.. its really nice,  Good 5" Guns, many Torps for a us DD.... play it like a Farragut with longer ranged torps.  

personally, It brought me through the last ranked season to rank 12 and use HULL C most often

65 posts
3,473 battles

Mahan is pretty mediocre for its tier. It's slow, concealment is poor. At tier 7, there are far too many good (and premium) DDs like Blys, Sims and Leningrad, so you have almost no hope of winning a knife fight against those ships.

To play this ship well, you might want to shift your focus on enemy BBs instead and harass them with guns and set fires. Use torps for area denial and contest caps with other fellow DDs.

On the other hand, Mahan prepares you really well for the Benson. And the line only gets better from here.

Good luck!