Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DogBolter

How the hell does one Warspite?

29 comments in this topic

66 posts
1,763 battles

Seriously, how do you play something that gets tier 8 ships every match that outrange you by several kilometers. The guns suck, i can lead them but they drop nearly every shot on either side of the target. Meanwhile, it seems to take citadel shots though the upper deck

What is this thing supposed to do, the secondarys are not even dangerous to destroyers

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

For the record, Warspite has the most accurated guns at T6 and also has the best penetration value(maybe too much penetration that will result in lots of overpen to cruisers).

I can sink a Bismarck/Tirpitz with Warspite but can't do that to Amagi or North Carolina cuz their broadside power is not for show.

66 posts
1,763 battles

Well, RNGesus must hate me, seriously, I'm landing 1 or 2 shells out of every 2 salvos. And its not becuase i cant lead the target, the shells are literally landing either side of it.

For the record, last match, an EMERALD actually bounced one of my shells......

1,496 posts

Hunt support ships, like cruisers, dds, planes

Use islands to poke at bigger bb, keep zigzagging course, so its harder for them to pin you down.... Constantly...

Be a decoy ship by getting enemy to chase you into your own fleets range....

Use spotter plane for early damage, its good with spotter.

Ordrazz

Edited by Ordrazz

66 posts
1,763 battles

Which bring me back to my first whinge, shells dropping either side of the target. It like im shooting both over and under at the same time

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

Which bring me back to my first whinge, shells dropping either side of the target. It like im shooting both over and under at the same time

Well you can imagine 12 shots fired from Fuso/New Mexico/Arizona that will land on either sides of the ship instead of landing on the ship. This happens a lot to BB so get used to it maybe?

66 posts
1,763 battles

This is common for BBs till you get to t8.

Wish more would land either side when they shoot at me then =D

66 posts
1,763 battles

Confirmation bias is a hell of a drug...

Its not bias when its true though =D. Fairly, its aircraft that are killing me in the Warspite more than anything

Its a real pain that getting your aim right still leads to missing though

Edited by DogBolter

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,779 battles

Warspite is great, even uptiered.  I find it is best to go concealment expert, which means you get 11.8km concealment, which allows you to play second line and hammer their DD's and cruisers at 12-15km range early game.  As the game progresses you can generally get close.

A few points to remember with Warspite - it can actively dodge incoming shots better than any other BB at it's tier - use this to your advantage.  You need to be aware of who can shoot at you, especially BB's, and when they are.  It also may only have a 16km range, but the guns are very accurate out to it's maximum range, so you can reliably hit shots at max range.  You can even reliably hit shots at max range with the spotter plane up.

All in all the Warspite has superb guns, and can also brawl with all other ship types very effectively late game.

1,496 posts

Warspite is great, even uptiered.  I find it is best to go concealment expert, which means you get 11.8km concealment, which allows you to play second line and hammer their DD's and cruisers at 12-15km range early game.  As the game progresses you can generally get close.

A few points to remember with Warspite - it can actively dodge incoming shots better than any other BB at it's tier - use this to your advantage.  You need to be aware of who can shoot at you, especially BB's, and when they are.  It also may only have a 16km range, but the guns are very accurate out to it's maximum range, so you can reliably hit shots at max range.  You can even reliably hit shots at max range with the spotter plane up.

Hmmmm, concealment on war spite, I may have to try that myself...

I have concealment my Tirpitz, it really helps, esp in the tier 10 it keeps going I

in to.... But I've never tried on my warspite

I also agree with your dodging shells, as I said in my earlier post, constant zigzagging is almost mandatory, throws enemy aiming right off.

Might see you out there in mine...

:child:

Ordrazz

66 posts
1,763 battles

All in all the Warspite has superb guns, and can also brawl with all other ship types very effectively late game.

I think the lack of commander training is part of my problem. Only been here a week or so.

14 posts
34 battles

What is this thing supposed to do, the secondarys are not even dangerous to destroyers

What Tier 6 BB has good enough secondaries? I count 0

Only ships with good secondaries are Kaiser, KMS BB Tier 7+, and IJN BB Tier 8+. USN secondaries are horrible, but they make up for it with superior AA

294 posts
2,997 battles

I think the lack of commander training is part of my problem. Only been here a week or so.

Wait...you just started playing a week ago? Did you come from another server or are you completely new to the game? If it is the latter I don't think it was a wise decision to buy a high tier ship with that little knowledge of the game.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,569 battles

The guns suck, i can lead them but they drop nearly every shot on either side of the target.

so you are saying the only 380MM gun that is actually accurate and packs oomph is bad and inaccurate? 

u wot m8

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,569 battles

Wait...you just started playing a week ago? Did you come from another server or are you completely new to the game? If it is the latter I don't think it was a wise decision to buy a high tier ship with that little knowledge of the game.

prob a reroll account, the MBH and K/D is too high for him to be completely new at the game

159 posts
3,374 battles

Seriously, how do you play something that gets tier 8 ships every match that outrange you by several kilometers. The guns suck, i can lead them but they drop nearly every shot on either side of the target. Meanwhile, it seems to take citadel shots though the upper deck

I hear what you're saying and I can understand your frustrations. About 40% of your games will be bottom tier compared to 35% mid tier and 25% top tier. 

Against T5 & 6 opponents this ship is very good. She can tough it out with distinction against T7 and needs to be used as a support ship against T8 ships. The most dangerous ships you'll encounter at T8 are the main BB's and certain cruisers like the Kutuzov. That particular little bug is extremely dangerous to you as it easily outranges you, starts fires with almost every salvo (It's not uncommon to have 2-4 fires started in a single salvo), can hide in smoke and volley behind mountains. If you are one on one with it, I'd advise breaking off unless you are close enough to really hurt it. 

I can win just as many games at bottom tier in this ship as I can top tier. But if your team falls apart in a T8 battle or you get isolated, you're going to melt quickly once they all start focusing on you. And where possible let your teams T8 BB's take on theirs. They will over match your armour with those 16 inch bullets. 

Secondaries are quite plentiful but painfully inaccurate. They're best used when your target is on your front quarter as they can all be brought to bear. To make up for their typically catastrophic dispersion, I went with AFT which boosted their range. You can invest in tightening their dispersion by 15% but it's not worth it when you can bring down your concealment instead. 

Warspite has a good turning circle for a BB, so by adding the rudder shift upgrade instead of the fire prevention then she'll turn on a dime. (She catches fire all the time anyway) since making the swap, the difference between the amount of times she catches fire is almost unnoticeable, but you'll definitely notice the rudder shift.

Her guns are good, but don't expect to citadel a BB with them. They just do good solid damage instead. As for all the straddling of your target that you seem to be experiencing, just persevere with it, or just make tiny tweaks to your aiming. 

Her AA is stock standard average, so use her turning ability when torpedo bombers are on their way in. 

Also, she's just had her turret traverse sped up, and the hull now sits deeper in the water than it used to, so she's the best she's ever been. Fit her out with some flags as well and she's even more potent. 

66 posts
1,763 battles

prob a reroll account, the MBH and K/D is too high for him to be completely new at the gameu

I created an account a year/years ago but could never get it to install. WG tech support was non ecistant. I only manage to get installed a fortnight or so ago now

66 posts
1,763 battles

so you are saying the only 380MM gun that is actually accurate and packs oomph is bad and inaccurate? 

u wot m8

I had hit youtube to find answers. Why the default setting is to have the targeting info off is a very strange move. Turns out its easier to land shots when you have time and distance to target info

66 posts
1,763 battles

I hear what you're saying and I can understand your frustrations. About 40% of your games will be bottom tier compared to 35% mid tier and 25% top tier. 

Against T5 & 6 opponents this ship is very good. She can tough it out with distinction against T7 and needs to be used as a support ship against T8 ships. The most dangerous ships you'll encounter at T8 are the main BB's and certain cruisers like the Kutuzov. That particular little bug is extremely dangerous to you as it easily outranges you, starts fires with almost every salvo (It's not uncommon to have 2-4 fires started in a single salvo), can hide in smoke and volley behind mountains. If you are one on one with it, I'd advise breaking off unless you are close enough to really hurt it. 

I can win just as many games at bottom tier in this ship as I can top tier. But if your team falls apart in a T8 battle or you get isolated, you're going to melt quickly once they all start focusing on you. And where possible let your teams T8 BB's take on theirs. They will over match your armour with those 16 inch bullets. 

Secondaries are quite plentiful but painfully inaccurate. They're best used when your target is on your front quarter as they can all be brought to bear. To make up for their typically catastrophic dispersion, I went with AFT which boosted their range. You can invest in tightening their dispersion by 15% but it's not worth it when you can bring down your concealment instead. 

Warspite has a good turning circle for a BB, so by adding the rudder shift upgrade instead of the fire prevention then she'll turn on a dime. (She catches fire all the time anyway) since making the swap, the difference between the amount of times she catches fire is almost unnoticeable, but you'll definitely notice the rudder shift.

Her guns are good, but don't expect to citadel a BB with them. They just do good solid damage instead. As for all the straddling of your target that you seem to be experiencing, just persevere with it, or just make tiny tweaks to your aiming. 

Her AA is stock standard average, so use her turning ability when torpedo bombers are on their way in. 

Also, she's just had her turret traverse sped up, and the hull now sits deeper in the water than it used to, so she's the best she's ever been. Fit her out with some flags as well and she's even more potent. 

Thanks for that.

I believe my frustration was partly with the rericle and no info, and when i first got it i had a run of almost exclusivel tier 8 matches. 

Doing much better in it now, though my damage out put is still far too low for my liking

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,569 battles

I had hit youtube to find answers. Why the default setting is to have the targeting info off is a very strange move. Turns out its easier to land shots when you have time and distance to target info

huh, so you arnt a reroll? that's actually quite a surprise considering your stats are fairly above average for players who have played that amount of battles

Super Tester
2,725 posts

A tier 6 Warspite in tier 8 battle?

2nd line support but not far behind. Activate spotting plane if you see an opportunity that you able to maximized the use of it.

But mostly if you see a enemy cruiser nearby, focus on that.

Sign in to follow this