You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LonerPrime

Question for Ryujo players. How do you cope with high tier battles?

7 comments in this topic

294 posts
2,997 battles

Hello fellow players,

So I am not really much of a CV player. I mean I enjoy playing them but facing Air Superiority enemies isn't exactly my idea of fun especially when you don't have Air Supremacy skill yourself. So I just play when an event happens and as otherwise, stick to surface ships. But during this Bismarck event I really started struggling a lot with my Ryujo. Even though I just got it a few weeks prior, I have it fully upgraded. Before this I only worried about US CVz wrecking my day but now AS Ryujos also are a nightmare to deal too. I play strike and if I manage to lure them with my FTs and have the TB and DB sneak on the other side, I have DFAA armed cruisers to worry about that cut my planes down in seconds. And it gets really worse if you end up in a tier 8 game where even German BBs have no issues neutralizing planes. The fighter plane health is so ridiculous that an Akizuki shot down 2 of my planes at the edge of 5km even though I was just passing by. Of-course Akizukis are made for AA battle so wasn't really surprised at that but more surprised at how my planes got shredded in a matter of seconds at max range. Is my RNG that bad that two 1500 HP fighters get eaten in mere 5 seconds? And the recent change of disengaging from a dog fight doesn't help either. Before you could just sacrifice your FTs while your TB/DB could do a bomb run. Now the enemy FTs just sacrifice one plane and then finish your TB/DB with a staffing run while they are trying to get in position.

Honestly I do believe the CV balance is borked at the moment. If it's not the AS CVs then it is the DFAA enemies and if it isn't that then it is decent AA defence that almost all ships have past tier 7. Long story short, life is hard as a strike IJN CV in the mid tiers. Plus if I am reading this correctly, this nightmare will continue in Hiryuu as well as the torpedo planes are completely identical from Zuiho[upgraded] to Shokaku[stock]. But you can't do much about it if the events call for you to play in PVP mode. So then here is my question again, how the heck do you Ryujo and higher tier players cope with battle that shred your planes like crazy. Should I also go AS and be useless to the team once the enemy CV is shutdown? Right now as it stands, I either do a 100k damage a games or meager 18k. There is no skill involved, just luck of who I get as enemy and I am really starting to get really agitated with this line.

Please, if someone has any personal experience to share, I am all ears.

Thank you for putting up with the rant.

Regards,

LonerPrime

Edited by LonerPrime

[LNA]
1,666 posts
10,492 battles

Some advices:

Launch n pair ur torpedo squad together. Then lauch. ur Ft. DB is launched last and they will be ur sacrificial pawns if there are too many FT around.

B4 i go into details ask urself : how many squad u can individually keep track n command at same time ? My advice is based on the assumption that u can track 4 at the same time ( i am a trainee in air traffic control so it was ez for me).

Use ur db to harrass the enemy cv by blatantly sneak or go places obvious to make his FT chase u. If he doesnt find his cv drop bomb manually and w8 around so his ft comeback and chase u around like chicken , repeat with the other db if he doesnt learnt his lessons. U font need to rearm the db for speed bonus so u can lead his ft by the nose and have him waste quite some time.

Learn the lock strafe strafe exit combo if u play 311 , quick hands needed here.

Ur tb is somewhat slow and ez to die so use them concentratedly on tier 6 and 7 and dd , avoid most tier 8s and those with DFAA.

U do not need to strike as many as possible , but strike as efficiently as possible.

Always deposit ur plane on safe points ( ships , behind terrains )after launch to stage an attack. Never stage it on ur own cv. Stage point should be close to where u intend to attack next.

Move frequently and hug islands if possible , aleast 1 square away from the campiest ship on the flank. Do not let him catch u when u are near 0 knots for whatever reason.

Don t actively use ft to fight ft, they are valuable meatshield for ur strikes.

Try to use db + ft combo where u hide ur ft have their ft chase db for sometime to set up a strafe. Very effective against player who focus on strike and relegate ft to right click.

Notice his strikes and set up parallel actions with him. If he is focusing his strikes , chances are he will neglect ft and other planes so do ur team some justices and act.

Dealing with big doom of stack is not advisable , w8 for better chances or alternatively go 4 route and snipe him by spreading planes everywhere on the map. Dont be afraid to snipe if there arent any better choices.

In 2v2 cv match it largely depend on ur partner. If ur cv is facing higher tier cv or more FT in ur shpere of influence join up with the other cv for a massive strike or snipe.

Face tier 8 is the last thing u want to be done esp ca and bb, try killing the most injured first b4 going for more healthy ones.

Zoom in and watch for ships that have less AA intact and go for them.

Always set up strike vector b4 entering air detection range so u push the target into the worst possible positions

Choose targets closer to u preferably. Loner ships if not close to u should not be targeted if u have nothing better to do as they don t affect the outcome much.

Identify the ALPHA ship of a push and kill him , if hexis dead his teammates will break up and play defensively.

Always torp in a way to force enemy to go into friendly torps

Video Contributor
2,267 posts
10,789 battles

Advises form me

you must know which ships are better AA than your planes

try to use manual drop and kill who YOLO

spot for your team (try to use DB spotter)

I'm might blur for morning 

294 posts
2,997 battles

Thank you both legionary2099 and Onlinegamer. I incorporated some of the tips and finally had an exceptional game.

2n6vk0w.jpg

Sadly this still proves my opinion. Right now, it's an AS CV that decides who will fly in the sky and who won't thereby turning the game's direction.

jvXSXJY.jpg

I was lucky enough to actually have a USN AS CV who was a master of his craft. He shot down over 83 planes. I just kept my FT flying with his and followed his targets. Thankfully to that I could do my job as strike and supported the team and also at occasions harassed DFAA Cruisers. During the whole game our team remarked that we two were liabilities even though we were fighting tooth and nail. Really feels bad when are trying your hardest and all you hear are people spiting you. It gets worse in tier 8 when you are genuinely struggling to connect your strikes where your planes fall out of the sky like flies. Other players are really merciless to CVz in tier 8 matches. I really wish I had a USN CV friend who I could rely on to division with.

This CV balance really needs heavy rework as it is right now. Either you are a beggar as strike or you are a king.
Edited by LonerPrime

347 posts

Thank you both legionary2099 and Onlinegamer. I incorporated some of the tips and finally had an exceptional game.

2n6vk0w.jpg

Sadly this still proves my opinion. Right now, it's an AS CV that decides who will fly in the sky and who won't thereby turning the game's direction.

jvXSXJY.jpg

I was lucky enough to actually have a USN AS CV who was a master of his craft which lead to him shooting down 83 planes. I just kept my FT with his and followed his targets. Thankfully to that I could do my job as strike and supported the team and also at occasions harassed DFAA Cruisers. During the whole game our team remarked that we two were liabilities even though we were fighting tooth and nail. Really feels bad when are trying your hardest and all you hear are people spiting you. It gets worse in tier 8 when you are genuinely struggling to connect your strikes where your planes fall out of the sky like flies. Other players are really merciless to CVz in tier 8 matches. I really wish I had a USN CV friend who I could rely on to division with.

This CV balance really needs heavy rework as it is right now. Either you are a beggar as strike or you are a king.

Yeah that's life of a CV, but don't worry, one they introduce PvE, people will love CVs, maybe people won't even take CVs to Random anymore, PvE looks really promising.

294 posts
2,997 battles

Yeah that's life of a CV, but don't worry, one they introduce PvE, people will love CVs, maybe people won't even take CVs to Random anymore, PvE looks really promising.

I am not so sure about that. I mean unless they equalize xp gain of PVE mode equal to PVP mode, I believe random will still be the go to mode for grinding. Of-course if they do make that change, I'll be one of the first ones to jump with joy. CV grind right now is really painful and I can't wait to shelve it once my Bismarck missions are done.
Edited by LonerPrime

347 posts

I am not so sure about that. I mean unless they equalize xp gain of PVE mode equal to PVP mode, I believe random will still be the go to mode for grinding. Of-course if they do make that change, I'll be one of the first ones to jump with joy. CV grind right now is really painful and I can't wait to shelve it once my Bismarck missions are done.

Wow you have such dedication, I already shelved my Lexington (for the time being) in favour of my North Carolina :), If you watched Flamu's video on the new PvE he received 7000 XP but with signals and camo
Edited by BravaZulu296

146 posts
10,264 battles

2n6vk0w.jpg

jvXSXJY.jpg

I was lucky enough to actually have a USN AS CV who was a master of his craft. He shot down over 83 planes. I just kept my FT flying with his and followed his targets. Thankfully to that I could do my job as strike and supported the team and also at occasions harassed DFAA Cruisers. During the whole game our team remarked that we two were liabilities even though we were fighting tooth and nail. Really feels bad when are trying your hardest and all you hear are people spiting you. It gets worse in tier 8 when you are genuinely struggling to connect your strikes where your planes fall out of the sky like flies. Other players are really merciless to CVz in tier 8 matches. I really wish I had a USN CV friend who I could rely on to division with.

I just had a game in a strike Ranger (my second random battle in it - been grinding it in co-op to get a feel for the planes and loadouts; my first attempt was balanced loadout against AS Saipan and I got destroyed). 

I told the team at the start I was 013; I spent most of the game hunting DDs and setting fires on BBs; I eventually killed the enemy Kaga - which got no kills, mainly because he spent his time trying to sink me; and I sailed next to a friendly North Carolina who just shredded his squadrons); I got over 100k damage and ended up in top 3; we won comfortably. I know it wasn't outstanding, but I was pretty pleased with myself. And no one abused me in chat. 

But I still I got two reports. 

It's pretty disappointing. I really don't understand it - I never report CVs (except when one sank himself in a ranked battle once) - I really don't get the hate. I see way more people doing stupid stuff in other ships all the time; CV players usually are trying at least. 

Anyway - you are welcome to add me as a contact - I'd be happy to div in US CV (as long as you don't expect me to be any good). I find playing CVs above tiers 4/5 extremely intimidating and only summon the courage occasionally. In my first random game in Independence (in which I was bottom tier), a team-mate threatened to sink me himself inside five minutes and I just got a stream of abuse for the whole match (we won - and I did ok - but it wasn't much fun).