You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sub_Octavian

ASIA Q&A, round 2

64 comments in this topic

Untouchables
21 posts

Hello everyone!
My name is Phil, nickname Sub_Octavian, and I am contuniuing official Q&A session for ASIA:izmena:

Short introduction: I am Game Analytics Team Lead in WG Saint-Petersburg, responsible for many interesting activities, including developers-players communication on gameplay topics.

Please ask any game-related questions, I will pick the best ones (and as many as I can) -  but no leaks on unreleased ships! This topic will be open until May 23, then I will close it to work with your questions.

The answers will be published as a separate topic withing a week.

Please upvote the questions you really like, so I know they are important to you!

Action stations!:izmena:

Previous Q&A

Round 1

[LBAS]
4,472 posts
25,644 battles

First blood again:teethhappy:

Welcome back comrade General! :honoring:

Server problems

ASIA Server 2 times massive disconnection (in Feb and Mar (Ranked Season 6, lost many star)), 1 time cant login last month and last week we have many immobilized ships in both team/ many match many players suffer this.

1./ Who will pay for what players lost caused by?

2./ Does WG buy the second hand Server from trash to serve our players?

Edited by MatterCore

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

In Game related question only right?

Can Wargaming Gave us a new Filter Option?

Right now you have a filter to Show 

~ Elite Ship

~ Premium Ship

~ First Win Bonus

~ With Commander

~ Without Commander

~ Scenario Only

since the very first i always hope you will add 1 more fillter

~ Non Elite Ship

this way i can track down all my ship that i need to grind and combining with the First win, i can tell what ship i should play next.

346 posts

Just a few Questions:

1.How is the CV balancing going on ? Any chance of help/buff/reform/rework to USN CVs prior to USS Enterprise is released?

2.Plus any chance of MM fix?I was playing Ranger which is already a horrible ship but the I got in a battle against Saipan, and Langley. On my side was my 111 Ranger which already is unable to fight a Saipan 1 on 1, enter a Langley on both sides, the enemy Langley at least has AS thanks to Saipan but not the Langley on my team, I couldn't get air supremacy from a numerically and Qualitatively better enemy.

3.Do you guys plane on giving USN tec tree CVs a load out change or a reduction in rearm time ( IJN get 60 seconds rearm if they lose a squad of 4, add 2 more planes for USN and it becomes 2 minutes)? In it's current state they are all horrible against anything against except each other and 111 doesn't really work too well at tier 7 (cause Saipan) onwards.

4.Also why does a line of CV which put "Air supremacy first" have no fighters in damage emphasis loadout but a line that does not prioritise Air supremacy but rather the opposite have 2 Fighter squads in their "Damage emphasis" load out? This looks rather messed up it should be the opposite.

Edited by BravaZulu296

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

Hey Sub,

Thanks for having Q&A in the Official Forum...

My First Question would be is WG concerned about MM not talking about tier by tier but talking about ship vs ship for example In modes like domination I've seen lots of times where one team is given 2 gun boats and 1 torpedo boat with enemy team having 1 gun boat and 1 torpedo boat which actually decides the game then and there because 3 DDs would be able to contest 3 caps where as other team has to go for 2 caps... and the irregularity of DDs is becoming serious issue...

I think you could have came across it as well...

6Z3Rpgm.jpg

Next question is about Divisions when it is a 3CL/3DD/3BB division MM seems to match up against one tier below or above of the same 3CL/3DD/3BB with or without divisioned players... 3 T5 CLs in a division they get T6 CLs as counter parts... if 3 T8 DDs are in divisions they get T9 DDs against them and vice versa...

Next question is Failed divisions which are pretty common with T4 and T5 ships even in some cases T6 and T7 ships... they division like 2 T4 ships and 1 T5 ship which puts them in T7 match which is really a loss for the team who has them... so will WG take any actions upon it? 

CV's MM T5 and T6 now as WG have removed Alt commands from T5 CVs but T5 and T6 CVs are matched up in the same battle now strafing becomes extremely easy for T6 CVs because all T5 CVs can do is just click and hope... and there are many reasons for T5 CV having a protected MM against T6 CVs... 

And this is from my perspective T5 and T6 are the stages where player decides to stick to the game or leave the game and +2 MM is not really helping not gonna say players are leaving but it hurts morale... And same time stock ships are put up against +2 tier ships it wouldn't matter much with BBs because recent changes had made them good enough to get past stock but DDs and CLs/CAs are struggling for example stock Furutaka, stock Nurnberg... even I struggled with them even tho i've grinded them before +2 MM was implemented...

Thank you...

Edited by Aaditya_AJ

[LN]
Super Tester
549 posts

Hi Sub,  I have 3 questions

1. There is information say: "Limit clan member up to 100 in this spring" and now is May (Spring in Asia starts from March to May), Clan update will be available in this month ?
2. Training room will appear on live server ?
3. Can you fully disclose the RAM mechanism ? If possible please explain in detail ?

[KAXSA]
126 posts
8,816 battles

Hi Sub, I've been looking forward to meeting you again!

1) about Saipan...

a) FTs can disengage with no less of a plane. It's definitely broken and overpowered. Do you have any plans on it?(I hope it to be removed ALT disengage from Saipan...)

b) Torp Bombers and Dive Bombers are faster than Es***(censored) ones, Why?(Hiryu and Ranger FTs cannot catch them)

2)Fletcher has 13mm deck (that can be overmatched by 8in AP), while USS Black has 19mm (can ricochet 8in), and USS Kidd also gets 19mm deck! (I saw them with tech tree mod in Official mod pack)

They are all Fletcher class, but Why should be the original Fletcher exceptional?

Thanks.

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Greetings once again, Sub_Octavian.

Reposting this from Round 1 because the thread seems to have been accidentally unlocked after it was closed.

Referring back to your answers re torpedo damage:

There is torpedo splash damage. Unlike HE shells, torpedo splash does some damage if it affects neighboring part.

Any chance of explaining how torpedo splash damage is calculated and distributed in more detail?

E.g.

For shells we know that 1/6 shell damage goes to the section it hit + 1/6 damage goes to the hull/body or whatever it is the devs refer to it internally (both subject to saturation).

Full damage only for citadel pen.

1/10 damage for AP overpen.

So is torp damage = 1/2* to section it hit, 1/2* to hull/body and x amount to neighbouring section? And if so, how is x calculated?

*Lets assume the torp damage values are using the ones shown in port instead of using datamined values for the sake of avoiding topics that you can't comment on.

If you can't give specifics, can you give an approximate on the proportion of damage that goes to the neighbouring section?

Also, how close to the neighbouring section would the torpedo have to hit in order to inflict splash damage?

The next one was about penetration data:

Adding this info to port stats makes some sense for us. But to crosshairs - it's definitely no. We want players to play the game, not UI. It is way too hardcore.

If someone finds a way to make a crosshair mod that shows penetration and AoF for a given distance, would such a mod be deemed illegal?

And another question re vision mechanics:

If I'm not mistaken there is only one vision checkpoint on a ship (in which checks are made between ships to determine whether it is within detection range and has unobstructed LoS), and it's located at the top of the ship? Can you explain its exact location i.e. is it at the highest point of the ship's geometry or is it at an arbitrary point on the superstructure/mast such as where the highest observer would normally be on a real ship?

Thanks again in advance.

[LBAS]
4,472 posts
25,644 battles

Collaboration question

1./ I heard rumor about Haifuri collab, Is it going for sale only?

2./ DO HSF ships have Premium beneficial?

3./ Why dont give ARP ships Premium beneficial, they cant mount any camos (big disavantage compare to others ships)?

4./ The cat Isoroku voice nearly cant hear in battle, and the voice like prehistoric man, only grrr hmm grrr hmm grrr.... it doesnt like a cat, normal cat can nyaa or meow or more. Could WG rework the cat Isoroku voice and let him/her can sign to any IJN ships without retraining?

Edited by MatterCore

4 posts
6,380 battles

Hello Sub_Octavian.

I see that skill Radio Location is making a [content removed] gameplay for DD IJN and DD USN. They try to send torpedos follow Radio Location and pray (especially on DD IJN). This playing is very passive and make a boring battle. That is wrong with reality. Is WG going to correct it?
Thank you and sorry for my English.

Inappropriate content. Post edited, user sanctioned.

~amade

Edited by amade

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,833 posts
4,122 battles

What was the reasoning behind the current in game command system (F keys)?  Yes it is simple to use, but F9,10,11 are absolutely useless tactically. Is there any reason why the game cant use a radial menus such as the custom WOT radial menu? 

avqMYcW.jpg

[LBAS]
4,472 posts
25,644 battles

Port interface

1./ whats status of crews in port? I'd like to see.

2./ In-port zoom too limit, some ship too long. Can WG extend zoom in and zoom out, plus auto rotate camera if no action in 5m (like Heroes of Might and Magic V in town)?

like this

3./ Can WG bring back custom port for mods?

4./ Can WG give custom music in-port and battle?

Example:In battle I'd like to hear Imperial match more than

port Philippine  I'd like to hear some Midori's music

port Zipangu with Koto's melodies

port Saint petersburg with Hugo Strasser - Petersburger Nächte

port Black Sea with Sad angel-Igor Krutoy

Edited by MatterCore

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

-Can you select the loot box the which one you want to open first or save it for later
Like in this current event (hunt for Bismarck) that give you event loot box and I want to open only the event box but not daily box so is there anyway to do that?

-will there gonna be more information about ship characteristic in game ? especially with gun, right now you show the stat of horizontal dispersion only, so how about vertical one ? cause now I feel like how RNG make the shot off target mostly vertical more than horizontal so if you show both then we can understand the accuracy of the gun more. and Sigma too since it different on each ship .

-and I heard some rumor about the game gonna change how concealment work again after remove invis-fire, one being add-reduce the bloom time for each ship by gun caliber, if this true will the game will have any compensation for the ship now since when you remove invis-fire you not give any buff to the destroyer, just reduce the captain retraining cost. 
and since game removing invis-fire and make DD to use smoke more but then you have both radar and sonar to counter smoke and DD can't do anything about it, will the game able to make the enemy ship show up but not able to lock on the ship that in smoke (like in some other tanks game that after the tank get unspotted, it still show you the tank for a few seconds but no info on the head (HP, tank name, etc) so you can't lock it but still shoot it manually before it completely disappear  )so it may give a chance to guys in smoke?  since in real life, even sonar can't make you got a clear shot,

Alpha Tester
63 posts

Hello Phil.

Thanks for the new Q&A round here in Asia.

I have several questions for this round.

1:Can we select camouflage bonus in different pattern? I have the one in Christmas version and I appreciate its bonus, but I wish to use ordinary camo for visual reason.

2:ARP Myoko and Ashigara have different fighters compared to Haguro, Nachi and Normal Myoko. they look like spotter plane of Yamato. did you mean to make them different?

Myoko planes.jpg

3:Since Tirpitz's secondaries range is longer, I found that width of her secondaries are even wider that she can shoot the enemy straight ahead while Bismarck cannot. Is that glitch or did you mean to make Tirpitz wider?

(couldn't find the video on youtube, but I found on local media service. I hope you can view this http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm31090816

4:Since Harekaze has 3 different hulls in one, is it possible to have Kaga in triple deck edition as well as the one we can have now?

5:One of my friend saw that the ship, with Juliet Charlie (-100% Detonation chance), was detonated. Is it possibly happening?

(I read the article of the detonation and knew that it won't happen)

6:Is it true that Dev teams are listening opinion from Ru and NA region more carefully than Asian region because of the market share and population difference?

Thank you.

PS:I appreciate for the answer for 1st round. Even you couldn't answer further detail, I am happy enough to know that Soviet DD branch in Cold war era is not gone.

Myoko planes.jpg

Edited by Zubian

5 posts
4,754 battles

Bello Phil

Well 

This is the first time i join the 4r and the Q&A , so , here r my question :

1. Do you have any information about which shipline will be release this yeah ? Could you spoil about it a little bit ?

2. Do you think kaga is weak comparing to other tier 7 cv and the Hood DAF is too stronk ?

3. Do they have plan to extended the japanese gunboat line ?

4. Why they decided to remove CV's jet ?

5. When will submarine join the game ? ( kinda stupid question but i just want to know )

Edited by Black_Skin_Guy

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Can you share more info about the upcoming PvE mode (i.e. Scenarios)?

Will it be expanded to Higher Tier ships (Including Iconic battles like Battle of Midway, Hunt for Bismarck, etc.)?

- And a follow up question: Can we expect Premium ships (*Cough* Hood *Cough*) to join in as well?

What kind of reward, or even special reward can we expect from PvE mode, making it a viable "Third way" other than Co-op and PvP battles for casual players?

Thank you very much for you answer!:honoring:

Edited by Alvin1020

[FANTA]
Beta Tester
4 posts
7,830 battles

Hello! octavian.

Because I am not a person in an English speaking country, I borrow the power of a translator to ask question.:)

Do you plan to do squadron restrictions on aircraft carrier?

The squad that accompanied the air defense ship is too powerful and stressful. 

As a result, the number of aircraft carriers is decreasing as they move to the higher tier.

I know that WOT's self-propelled guns are limited to platoon units.

The question is over and  I hope have a nice day on you. :)

Thanks you.

Edited by CV5

1,490 posts

Hello sub,

sorry if someone  has already asked this  but is there a chance that WG can introduce a experienced MM, so that the better players can have battles with each other, instead of having each team full of lemmings & potatos?

like when we play ranked, we actually have good, challenging games, the players understand how to play together, &  not go lemming train  as much...

have another mode, like advanced battles, so like only players that have 2500 battles or more can join, tjst way we will know that they should have some idea how  to  play.

2 Other  things

Leave the F11 key. I love it  ,

The last thing  is,  i  dont mind if you keep nerfing DDs, i hate them, so nerf away!  :trollface:    :hiding:

Ordrazz  

PS.....  Thank you for finally allowing Albany to become available. I have been wanting that ship for 2 years.

I absolutely love the older predreadnought ships, I hope one day more will come in.

I love how everyone is getting into & having fun with all the Mikasas....

Edited by Ordrazz

Super Tester
341 posts
2,790 battles

Hi,

The next few questions might sound condescending but please hear the rationale behind them.

1) Why are the answers to your questions so inconsistent?

For example, in this thread, 

• Will IJN DD ever get back its old HE alpha? This is because dev buffed the RU HE on DD from 1600 back to its 1900 original alpha.

you replied with "2. No. This change is not needed from balancing point of view.", yet in your other answers to this question, 

Hey Sub_Octavian, i would like to ask about the logic behind the RuDD HE buff to improve their damage done to other nations DDs (when they damage done to other classes was perfectly fine) and then later on you nerf the rudder shift of the Khab because it was far too strong against DDs at close range?

Why not just roll back the HE buff? 

"Hey. Most of the line uses these shells, so making exception for Khaba would not be very nice - while buffing other RU DDs was necessary. And, what's most important, Khaba OP-ness is connected mainly with her high protection by dodging shells. Thus, we are nerfing her real strengths, and needed drop is already seen on server stats. Will it be enough? We don't know yet."

This shows you won't buff IJN DDs because they do not need it, but you so simply increased Khaba's alpha from 1600-1900. Keep in mind that Khaba had the highest WR and damage as well as kill rate which nulled your answer of "Khaba targets BBs more often than other DDs, so of course its damage will be the highest". Not to mention, nerfing Khaba's rudder does not decrease its damage output.

Another example is you wanting to nerf ships that only a small percentage of players do well in. Your magazine article says you wanted to nerf RNCL because they perform well and another more prime example is removing manual drops from T4-T5 CVs due to “sealclubbing” yet only 10%~ players sealclub with T5 CVs (Nikolai is also a huge sealclubber).

2) If you want to reduce BB population, why do you keep buffing BBs?

This ties in with the first question. Since 0.6.0, you have allowed BBs to pick two previous T5 skills (Concealment expert + Secondaries accuracy), removed stealth fire (which benefits BBs the most) as well as removing all BB’s stock hulls. Last patch you reduced Warsprite's turret traverse by 38% for reasons of  "In order to improve gameplay".

If you really wanted to improve gameplay, why not remove any stock loadouts from cruisers or destroyers or carriers? Carriers suffer the most as they have to deal with stock planes which is far worse than some stock hulls, not to mention T10 carriers still require you to unlock everything.

3) The most important question - Why do you treat us (the players) as stupid?

No offense but when players suggest a few high skill mechanics (setting individual turrets at different angles, saturation of high tier cruisers etc), you respond with “it is too complex for our playerbase”. Adding a mechanic which lets players of more skill perform better won’t make players of less skill feel stupid. If anything, I am more offended that you keep removing skill-related elements like stealth fire, giving everyone sixth sense, giving more fighter ammo universally, etc. It is one thing to make this game more easy by “buffing the less skilled playerbase” but why do you have to do this at the expense of the better players?

These are genuine questions and I would appreciate it if you do not find them stupid (nor are they meant to be offensive). Thanks.

Super Tester
989 posts
4,319 battles

Hi sub! Thanks for working hard

Before releasing any new premium CV. It is adviceable to work on the CV UI changes. Releasing new premiums will attract CV players for a while but in long lasting They ll decrease. Hyperbolic graph plummet down. Are the dev really working on the CV UI changes?

1 more question. 

What is the faith of Tone? She is well modelled. Dev did a great job. Rather than releasing new ones. Why dont Dev finish the one that is already pretty well made? There is always a solution to a problem. Please dont run away from problems. Solve it. Poor waifu Tone. She ll be a great t7. And some of my friends collected money for her. Like literally still in their piggy bank just for Tone. 

Alpha Tester
392 posts

Hello Sub_Octavian, thanks for answering our questions!

1) Why are Izyaslav's upgraded torpedoes incompatible with its stock WW1 hull, even though they are 'Model 1912'?

2) Storozhevoi uses the same 450mm Goncharov Triple torpedo tubes as Izyaslav and Svietlana. However, it does not have access to the Model 1912 torpedoes. The Storozhevoi essentially feels like it was dumbed-down to fit tier 2, when it can actually be as good as Derzki and maybe Izyaslav. Surely there are other destroyers suitable for tier 2 while Storozhevoi can be buffed à la Katori?

3) This 1:42 scale video about the tier 2 Diana says it has a total of 24 Canet secondary guns. Why does the in-game model have only 12?

4) The upcoming HSF Harekaze will have three alternate main battery guns to choose from. Historically, Blyskawica also had her 120mm main guns replaced with 102mm dual-purpose guns (the same guns used on Black Swan, but with HE rounds). Will Blyskawica drivers also be given a similar alternate upgrade for flexibility?

Why you no give Aurora this sexy black skin?

9834aa28-b65d-11e6-9986-d89d6715223c.jpg

[BOTES]
12 posts
5,689 battles

Hi Sub-Octavian.

1)

I'm a big fan of warships in general and have been thoroughly enjoying this game so far. However, there is one issue that's always befuddled me and that is the staggered release of certain premium ship bundles, like the recent Hood releases. If it's appropriate, I'd like to know the rationale behind such staggered releases and why players do not get the option of purchasing the ship as is without the additional doodads like flags, premium account and whatnot during the moment of release. Frankly, I was looking forward to the Hood but found the initial bundle too pricey because I simply had enough flags and premium time and did not need any more. In fact, I am quite puzzled as to why a certain package is called the "I Want It Now" bundle despite said bundle ONLY being available on in June. 

Already, I know of friends and acquaintences who feel this practice is exploiting those who do not wish to wait and have held off from buying the ship entirely simply because they do not agree with what they feel are questionable practices. While I understand that WG is ultimately running a business, would turning off such fans not run counter to WG's overall goal of keeping a solid and stable userbase?

I understand such packaged bundles exist because they can be value for money to some, but for those that already have loads of flags, premium time etc. and do not wish to buy the additional items, why are they being "punished" and forced to wait for a cheaper package?

2)

That being said, I am intrigued behind the creative process when implementing new ships, be it premium ships or otherwise. What goes on during the process when creating a line? How does WG ensure that a massive powercreep does not occur to older ships and what measures are being taken to ensure that these new ships remain competitive and appealing but yet not ridiculously overpowered?

3)

Lastly, Bismarck:

Scuttled or sunk?

Edited by jujuham

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Glad you're still stalking ASIA cluster like the 'Sub' that you are~

Some bits tho:

- since the Italians arrived with their current representative which is Duca d'Aosta (which is quite a beautiful cruiser sailing out there at tier 6), how goes the archive and information raids for the Italians? Enough projects and stuff for your needs or do your guys still need to descend deeper to find more accurate information? I'm quite eager to see the Littorios sail in the future~

- i know this bit was suggested and/or asked several times but I'd like to be satisfied with it. As versatile the Scharnhorst twins are (well... mostly the big sister but she's a premium soo~), would it edge out, if not outright making the Gneisenau a bit too strong compared to her dreadnought colleagues Colorado and Nagato in tier 7 if her dispersion is accurized a bit? I know its not due to the factor of players instigating ranged gunnery duels but rather its the part where one is already attempting to get close while firing all the way. There are strange times where at 12.1km and one attempts to score heavy damage against a Nagato, some shells practically straddle the target, the bracketing part is understandable when one is forced to fire at long range which is this battleship's weakest point and all and this is already leading to try and hit the vital areas..

- since you be here and all and I couldn't ask you this in the first round, how about a Naval Fortress series with Corregidor Island as a suggestion to the video teams? Sure it didn't exactly see surface targets but that island armed with a crapload of guns did have its share of hell during the Battle of the Philippines where it became the last holdout to fall but not without upsetting the timetable of Japanese High Command.

- can you confirm the notion of having the Kagero acquiring 70+ knot torpedoes absurd or is it a "what-if" prospect thats running around the RUdevs?

Edited by EvyL

2 posts
8,391 battles

Dear Sub

1.Could you please clarify how EXP and credit are from. I found that selfless players who do the spot , tank and capture , sacrifice for team always have got EXP and credit less than selfish players that only be sniper , hiding behind team or island. If my assumption is correct I will do the sniper too.

2.How does MM work? My observation that sometime I was with all camper , and sometime I was with all teamwork players . That 's why the game is boring, win easier and loss easier.

Thank for your kind support