You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
KirstieBeau

Counterfishing Tactic?

19 comments in this topic

173 posts
5,332 battles

Solo players. How do you deal with, for example, Belfast+Fiji+Sims div. Or Des Moines+Minotaur+Gearing div. Do you attack them head-on? Avoid them? Flank them? Kite them? Just want to know how you cope with these situations.

294 posts
2,997 battles

Mostly I curse WG for selling ships that are clearly game breaking in balance. Then I avoid them and if push comes to shove, I shoot into their smoke taking a guess from where their shells originate. Sometime I get lucky but a lot of times I end up a burning wreck. Story of a BB against fast firing invisi cruisers.

43 posts
759 battles

Solo players. How do you deal with, for example, Belfast+Fiji+Sims div. Or Des Moines+Minotaur+Gearing div. Do you attack them head-on? Avoid them? Flank them? Kite them? Just want to know how you cope with these situations.

Really good fishing divs are too rare for me to worry about them. 

[-SZY-]
211 posts

Destroy their weaker flank

Or deny as many of their potential damage to the team as possible (smoke / hydro / radar) and focus fire

[LNA]
1,666 posts
10,474 battles

What u should do is try to corner and isolate as much as it is safe to do as a carrier by force turning or by torp wall from dd. Manfight them is the most foolish idea so try to switch routes or way and surround them.

There is alot of limit in what u can do against an organized attack or defence so avoid them.

You should try divisioning if you really want an effective counter to them.

Also fishing team will most likely use US/RN and maybe IJN carrier which have low effective firing range so stall for time if u are in their flank by island negation or if you are not push very agressively for a pincer movement

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Or...fight fire with fire. Form your own fishing division to counter-fish the enemy.

14 posts
170 battles

Ive met really good divisions when I started at tier 3.  They had skull flags on while i was still starting, they finished the battle without a single loss to own team, my team was eradicated.  I hope i never get into that situation again, but i doubt it.

173 posts
5,332 battles

you git gud. 

Yep. I totally turn potato whenever I face these kind of divs. I see MM, ok, they might go B so I will push into C and pincer them. Arrived at C, and guess what? I'm in to the cap zone that they're pushing. :teethhappy:

980 posts
12,617 battles

Yep. I totally turn potato whenever I face these kind of divs. I see MM, ok, they might go B so I will push into C and pincer them. Arrived at C, and guess what? I'm in to the cap zone that they're pushing. :teethhappy:

It makes you a better DD player. 

Nothing makes you a better player than regularly sailing into caps filled with unicum enemies. 

64 posts
3,175 battles

In most cases you don't really have much of a choice during early game whether you will be fighting them or not. There's usually a few early game positions that will be fairly predictably used based on composition that you can plan to counter but whether they will be on the side of the map that you've moved to isn't going to be something you'll know before you've already pretty committed to an area of a map in most ships.

Undermining them, killing their friends faster than they kill yours are valid strategies (the latter not so much as a solo player), trying to kill them earlier on is situational as these players will normally be above average at not being killed. Usually early on you will be playing skirmish tactics so don't fall into the trap of overly engrossing yourself with them at the expense of much more damage elsewhere.

I find doing things to undermine their strategy is usually the easiest for a solo player where the situation permits. For example planning to place yourself safely for a timely hydro surprise will make divs relying on island-hidey-smoke area denial very uncomfortable as the very core of their plan will suddenly have fallen apart. Most effective when done shortly after they've started aggravating your teammates. Strategies like these that plan to enable others are probably the most valuable to a solo player as it suddenly turns your one versus three to more than one versus three. Lastly, a lot of these divs don't have a strategic mind in play. Undermine their core plan and read their come back - you will quickly see how deep the player quality goes.

edit: because of course player quality varies on your own team you need to keep abreast of their performance too when executing your plan. No point being frustrated and dying in vain when you can see that your own team isn't playing along.

Also quite effective is to look at what your own div compositions are and making a call whether or not you'll play along with them.

Edited by phutev

173 posts
5,332 battles

You try to distract them in all chat. especially if poi. Just spam poi and destroy them while they type

LOL! :teethhappy:

It makes you a better DD player. 

Nothing makes you a better player than regularly sailing into caps filled with unicum enemies. 

Yep learning the hard way...:teethhappy:

Just witnessed yesterday a 3x Belfast div got completely wrecked by 2x Bismarck div. Too bad I'm at the other side of the map.

Super Tester
7,564 posts
8,001 battles

You need MM's blessing as well. You need to have all the RADAR ships in your team and all the IJN DDs in enemy team. Also, you need the blessing of a fishing div in your team.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

enemy fishing Div - yolo at them and get it over with

your team fishing Div - yolo the enemy and make the fishing team earn their stripes ;)

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,774 battles

Prioritise making life difficult for them over other ships.  You can reduce the impact of high quality divs by knowing how best to handle their ships in your ship.  Come up with a plan during the pre-battle wait as you study the team list.  All ships have weaknesses, you can exploit them.

I'm not saying you will be successful - but you will maximise your chance of your team winning.

What you absolutely should not do is start thinking you will lose based on what you see on the load screen.  You're half way to losing the battle if you get negative at the start.  Be confident, know the strengths and weaknesses of ships, come up with a plan, and adapt it as necessary as the game goes on.