Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
limjf04

My experiences in the Langley so far

8 comments in this topic

98 posts
230 battles

So after some games in the Langley I think it's OK as even though it has lots of drawbacks most people at my tier fail to exploit it. Managed a 81k game but we lost I was literally 5 seconds from dropping on their last ship :(

So I have learned : 

Low supply of planes

Tier 5 will rekt your planes

Any other tips and tricks?

346 posts

You will find Langley lot's of fun

Bogue isn't too bad (if you take 201 you can sweep the skies)

Independence sucks, only because of AA

Ranger sucks because AA, Saipain, 2 Hiryu Fighter squads vs your 1 squad

Lexington sucks when stock, upgrade the fighters and it'd quite enjoyable (sort of) upgrade the strike planes and it's ok (It still sucks compared to shokaku)

I recommend IJN before you play USN too much you end up in my position - too lazy to start from T4 because you survived T7 and don't ever want to see a Saipan ever again

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Any other tips and tricks?

Against actually dodging targets:

1. Fly your torpedo bombers (TBs) towards them, making them think that you're about to drop on them.

2. a) Fly past them and drop them from the other side

2. b) If it's someone who's actually keeping up with your maneuvers but it's a low AA BB (Arkansas, Imperator Nikolai) then

just continue feinting attacks until he's too slow to keep up and drop on him for 2-3 hits

2. c) If it's a target with suitable AA strength make only 2-3 feints tops, otherwise the AA is going to take too high a toll on your squadron

Dropping on Destroyers:

If the DD is aware of your drop it's fairly difficult to score any hits, however the same way of dropping on BBs can work here,

especially since low tier DDs don't have any/much AA.

Dropping into smoke:

Most DD players will still be visible for a second or two before they slow down enough to be caught up in their smoke.

If you can time it right (Which takes a bit of training and some luck) then your TBs can make a strike on the DD before it's fully stopped

and reversing for an easy kill.

Outmaneuvering Bogue Fighters:

Be brave with your fighters, speed wise they can outrun a Bogue's fighters quite nicely.

Use them to scout the enemy loadout and positioning, then make your way through holes in the Bogue's

Aerial Superiority net to score damage.

Noteworthy:

1.) Bogue only has 2 fighter squadrons, even on the smallest low tier maps these can't cover the entire map,

albeit this might make you have to strike targets you'd rather not strike. (Decent DD player that knows how to dodge, high AA BB, etc.)

2.) Be creative with the way you lure him around.

In the beginning of the match it's often useful to show your dive bombers (DBs) to him, often players will think that you've bunched up your planes in one part of the map

and thus will open a nice hole in their defensive grid to allow your TBs to strike targets of opportunity.

3.) A good player will likely stay on the lookout for your TBs, especially if you've gotten them through once.

Don't mind your dpm so much in these cases, use your TBs to lure him around next time and let your DBs strike,

aiming for a full length strike on a BB usually results in good damage and 1+ fires.

4.) And as always, utilise the AA bubbles of your team.

Even the decent but not great AA of a Myogi can make a Bogue call his fighters off after losing 1-2 planes to it's AA.

Against Zuiho:

Zuiho only ever gets 1 fighter squadron and with the way damage calculations work they're at a huge disadvantage despite their higher tier.

Utilise the dogfighting captains skill to further improve your chances and you're very likely to take out a Zuiho's fighters with ease.

In a 2v2 CV match always focus on the smaller japanese squadrons first.

Edited by Retia

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,702 battles

Langley has the potential to teach you the USN DoT theory. I.e. drop torps first and wait 30 before sending in the DB so a ship repairs the floods and then the fire will do more damage to a ship over the duration.

Helps you more to learn this at low tiers as at mid to high tier US this is how you get a lot of your damage

98 posts
230 battles

Langley has the potential to teach you the USN DoT theory. I.e. drop torps first and wait 30 before sending in the DB so a ship repairs the floods and then the fire will do more damage to a ship over the duration.

Helps you more to learn this at low tiers as at mid to high tier US this is how you get a lot of your damage

The TB's are slower than the DBs so the DBs reach and drop first and most of the time they damage control immediately and I get a Liquidator

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

The TB's are slower than the DBs so the DBs reach and drop first and most of the time they damage control immediately and I get a Liquidator

At higher tiers BB players regularly ignore 1-2 fires since they can heal it up completely,

instead they're reserving their Damage Control for when they get flooding or consecutive fires.

Henceforth it's generally better to flood first and burn later.

Generally, because it's always a situational thing, best example is the freebie, aka a BB that used it's Damage Control

for a fire that was started by another ship.

Good times of farming flooding and fire damage...

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles

Against BBs, it is better to burn first then flood. And you need to pay attention to which enemy has their DCP in CD due to your friendly ships setting them on fire etc.

Against CVs, it is better to flood first then set on fire, so that they cannot launch planes (or even if they can, they get +100% servicing penalty).

Against DDs and CAs, you aim to kill them, dotting them doesn't give you much damage unless in high tier.

Sign in to follow this