You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TankTHRUSH

About the Montana buff requirement i have read for days

26 comments in this topic

3 posts
3,746 battles

I just purchased Montana for 2 days and i think its a downgrade from Iowa. Both of them have the same citadel location, AA power, Montana has better armor and firepower. The main downside is her maneuverability so bad. The Montana's engine is only 172000 hp, stock Iowa engine while Montana is bigger and heavier. People talk about how high the citadel is and it must be fixed. I can deal with that. Now if they give Montana the Iowa top engine 212000hp and reduce her rudder shift time, it can be more agile, make it different characteristic compare to the IJN "Ovematch" and the KM "Turtle Secondaries". And you know that IJN "Yamete" is also a floating citadel and get rekt everytime enemy have her broadside, but she is slow, sluggish and can be easily outmaneuver by others ships. Smart Yamete players will keep distance with enemy at ~15km and stay angle. The only chance Montana can do is find a way to out maneuver and shoot Yamete's citadel. I think right now Montana looks like a tier 10 New Mexico (good gun, high volume of shells but slow and sluggish).

So what do you think? Please tell me if I'm right or wrong.

p/s: Sorry for my bad Engrisk.

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

mang

Montana is no way a downgrade, the fire power feels great (constant 25k on German BB huehuehue) it can delete cruisers and DDs easily, the AA is nice (same DPS as Iowa tho kek) it has decent secondaries to finish off some cruisers and DDs if it's really close, the accuracy IS EXTREME like holy **** it is accurate. Or maybe it's just good dispersion combined with 12 guns making it feel super accurate but 8/10 of my salvos I get perfect dispersion. Except I am a potato and always aim like a pixel short so they hit the water :(

Edit: the Montana side armour can actually be used to bounce Yamato shells now, unlike before on the Iowa it can still be overmatched even angled so bow on was just better, if you angle so your 3rd gun just gets the angle to fire then you should bounce everything that hits the side. And you don't take as much pen damage on your side belt and not as much HE damage because the 409mm belt is exposed, unlike the Iowa which has the 306mm belt INSIDE the 32mm belt, allowing it to take a bunch of HE and easy pen damage from cruisers. Also the Iowa has the sad lyfe 380mm overmatch-able torpedo belt (still not sure if guns can even hit the torpedo belt tho someone check pls)

Edited by FenrirApalis

Video Contributor
2,266 posts
10,789 battles

For me now I play Montana more than Yamato since i got Montana

Montana can stealth and salvo behind island but dispersion is really s___ 

Armor is not quite good but she has the best AA defense all the battleships 

Yamato good tank, torpedo protection, CQCisok.jpg, 460mm

GK is the best CQC, armor is OP!, and main guns are... leave it!

Montana has 3 things is really good

1.mk7 nothing change play style from Iowa

2.AA furthest all the bbs (7.5km)

3.speed~ 30knots

I have title for Montana - DELETE THIS THING! MK.7!

3 posts
3,746 battles

For me now I play Montana more than Yamato since i got Montana

Montana can stealth and salvo behind island but dispersion is really s___ 

Armor is not quite good but she has the best AA defense all the battleships 

Yamato good tank, torpedo protection, CQCisok.jpg, 460mm

GK is the best CQC, armor is OP!, and main guns are... leave it!

Montana has 3 things is really good

1.mk7 nothing change play style from Iowa

2.AA furthest all the bbs (7.5km)

3.speed~ 30knots

I have title for Montana - DELETE THIS THING! MK.7!

You said the same thing posted in WG wiki. What i try to explain here is the capability to fight in a 1v1 between Montana and other tier 10 BB such as Yamato or GK. Those strengths you listed is not always good and battle situation usually push you into bad position (such as Cyclone). Iowa playstyle is sneak close, take a shot , then retreat if needed, because she is fast and agile. You cant do that with fat Montana. Your engine power is too weak and bad rudder shift make you too slow to run away or retreat when turning broadside is a death sentence.

Super Tester
1,310 posts

You said the same thing posted in WG wiki. What i try to explain here is the capability to fight in a 1v1 between Montana and other tier 10 BB such as Yamato or GK. Those strengths you listed is not always good and battle situation usually push you into bad position (such as Cyclone). Iowa playstyle is sneak close, take a shot , then retreat if needed, because she is fast and agile. You cant do that with fat Montana. Your engine power is too weak and bad rudder shift make you too slow to run away or retreat when turning broadside is a death sentence.

u know

the name 172.000 HP engine on montana is just figure head

the actual power of the engine (accelaration power/max speed/etc) can be tweaked even without changing the the name.

FYI.

does montana even need MORE engine buff?

nope.

why MORE? yes, montana had received engine buffs.

montana used to have 28knots speed. and then she got buffed to have 30knots speed <-its not historical anymore. coz montana designed to have 28knot speed iirc.

let seeee. why kind of buff that montana had already received in the past.

1. accuracy buff by increasing her sigma value from 1.8 to 1.9
  2. another accuracy buff by increasing accuracy mod(3million) from 7% to 11%
  3. AA buffs. global AA rework at 0.5.3 gives her(and all other USN vessel) increase in AA dps value
  4. another AA buffs. now she got more boffors installed compared the first time this game went live
  5. Engine buff.s her max speed increased from 28 knots to 30 knots
  6. steven seagul. oh yes.... this is also considered buff. USN exclusive captain. with uber EM and EL (seagul has 1°/s EM. normal EM is just 0.7°/s | seagul has 75% reload bonus in EL. normal EL is only 50%)

then let see why kind of nerfs does Montana has received?

nothing.

then. does montana need another buffs in any kind of sort?

personally. i would say. Nope. she doesnt need any more buffs. she is already scary in her own way.

tough what other ppl thinking about this might be different than me.

oh. before any1 said anything about me not having montana. i have montana here in my port. 

Edited by ReNation

295 posts
6,613 battles

I just purchased Montana for 2 days and i think its a downgrade from Iowa. Both of them have the same citadel location, AA power, Montana has better armor and firepower. The main downside is her maneuverability so bad. The Montana's engine is only 172000 hp, stock Iowa engine while Montana is bigger and heavier. People talk about how high the citadel is and it must be fixed. I can deal with that. Now if they give Montana the Iowa top engine 212000hp and reduce her rudder shift time, it can be more agile, make it different characteristic compare to the IJN "Ovematch" and the KM "Turtle Secondaries". And you know that IJN "Yamete" is also a floating citadel and get rekt everytime enemy have her broadside, but she is slow, sluggish and can be easily outmaneuver by others ships. Smart Yamete players will keep distance with enemy at ~15km and stay angle. The only chance Montana can do is find a way to out maneuver and shoot Yamete's citadel. I think right now Montana looks like a tier 10 New Mexico (good gun, high volume of shells but slow and sluggish).

So what do you think? Please tell me if I'm right or wrong.

p/s: Sorry for my bad Engrisk.

you forget how accurate montana guns are, comparing montana to new mexico is not really accurate because new mexico has shotgun accuracy, where montana can devastate any broadsiding ship up to 20km, maybe not including DDs tho, and also montana has good firing arc which make you able to shoot all the 12 guns while still reasonably angled

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,569 battles

you forget how accurate montana guns are, comparing montana to new mexico is not really accurate because new mexico has shotgun accuracy, where montana can devastate any broadsiding ship up to 20km, maybe not including DDs tho, and also montana has good firing arc which make you able to shoot all the 12 guns while still reasonably angled

montana can still deal a ton of damage to unsuspecting DDs, if i get a good salvo in then i fully expect to deal at least 7k on any DD type

372 posts
10,107 battles

mang

Montana is no way a downgrade, the fire power feels great (constant 25k on German BB huehuehue) it can delete cruisers and DDs easily, the AA is nice (same DPS as Iowa tho kek) it has decent secondaries to finish off some cruisers and DDs if it's really close, the accuracy IS EXTREME like holy **** it is accurate. Or maybe it's just good dispersion combined with 12 guns making it feel super accurate but 8/10 of my salvos I get perfect dispersion. Except I am a potato and always aim like a pixel short so they hit the water :(

Edit: the Montana side armour can actually be used to bounce Yamato shells now, unlike before on the Iowa it can still be overmatched even angled so bow on was just better, if you angle so your 3rd gun just gets the angle to fire then you should bounce everything that hits the side. And you don't take as much pen damage on your side belt and not as much HE damage because the 409mm belt is exposed, unlike the Iowa which has the 306mm belt INSIDE the 32mm belt, allowing it to take a bunch of HE and easy pen damage from cruisers. Also the Iowa has the sad lyfe 380mm overmatch-able torpedo belt (still not sure if guns can even hit the torpedo belt tho someone check pls)

Torpedo belt pens don't do any dmg if they don't pen the Armour belt behind it, also Iowa has 38mm Armour belt, only the torpedo bulge is 25mm cos reasons.

Beta Tester
60 posts

probably the most enjoyable BB in WOWS, I reckon 

I always play it on pt service.

When you play Yamato, your teammate expectation is much higher than Montana, they expecting u carry the team doing tone of damage, hold position etc

When you play Montana nobody cares what u do. well not really stupid stupid  LOL, people will think this is just another potato BB.

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

Torpedo belt pens don't do any dmg if they don't pen the Armour belt behind it, also Iowa has 38mm Armour belt, only the torpedo bulge is 25mm cos reasons.

it was 32mm last time I saw it... Or maybe my brain has an error :amazed: but I just don't remember it being able to bounce Yamato shells and stuff

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,569 battles

probably the most enjoyable BB in WOWS, I reckon 

I always play it on pt service.

When you play Yamato, your teammate expectation is much higher than Montana, they expecting u carry the team doing tone of damage, hold position etc

When you play Montana nobody cares what u do. well not really stupid stupid  LOL, people will think this is just another potato BB.

it's the other way around in the eyes of veterans, if you see a montana you expect him to surpress CAs, help kill DDs, tank for the team and so on, meanwhile yamatos are all expected to sit in the back and snipe like their 460s are AWPs

Beta Tester
908 posts

it's the other way around in the eyes of veterans, if you see a montana you expect him to surpress CAs, help kill DDs, tank for the team and so on, meanwhile yamatos are all expected to sit in the back and snipe like their 460s are AWPs

Then get burnt to a crisp by moskvas and zaos.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,569 battles

Then get burnt to a crisp by moskvas and zaos.

or die to random torps, because those morons are the only ones shimakaze 20km torps work against

Super Tester
7,567 posts
8,001 battles

Montana is a downgrade from Iowa? Can you even count... 12 guns.... And that belt can bounce anything if properly angled. Yes, you can't straight up brawl a Yamato, but Yamato cannot brawl another Yamato as well, so what's your point? And you need USN BBs to beat the sh** out of german BBs. Montana is fast, has really strong AA and armor, really high damage output. Your job is to eliminate CAs with your accurate flat arc guns. If you can't make Montana work, it is mostly you, not the ship. I think Montana is fine at her current state. Giving her buff might put her in sort of OP place. USN BBs in general require better skills.

980 posts
12,617 battles

Montana needs torpedo tubes like the Tirpitz to buff her brawling abilities. 

It also needs defensive fire and hydro - it is just such a big ship it is too difficult to play at the moment. 

Also, lower the citadel. 

Montana might be playable after that. 

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,569 battles

It also needs defensive fire and hydro - it is just such a big ship it is too difficult to play at the moment. 

Also, lower the citadel. 

you forgot the RNCL heal and USN smoke

634 posts
6,218 battles

Also, lower the citadel. 

no radar? Whats the use if she have no radar? Even missouri a tier 9 has radar !!!!
Edited by TorpedoBeat

5 posts
8,566 battles

if you play montana properly .. Yamato or GK can be frightened plus Montana is Cruiser hunter ... i don't know if im right or not 

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,868 battles

Also, lower the citadel. 

That reminds me of this chase's APF ship:

- 16 inches + a crapton of 5 inches from Montana's own and two atlantas strapped one to each side

- Buttload of AA with (possibly) unlimited DFAA charges

- Torpedoes from atlanta

- Comes (probably) with radar because each atlanta has it

Super Tester
7,567 posts
8,001 battles

That reminds me of this chase's APF ship:

- 16 inches + a crapton of 5 inches from Montana's own and two atlantas strapped one to each side

- Buttload of AA with (possibly) unlimited DFAA charges

- Torpedoes from atlanta

- Comes (probably) with radar because each atlanta has it

Also, don't forget to remove citadel completely to satisfy NA scrubs in particular.