You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Tex_Power

USN BB Line. Secondary build. Yes or No?

8 comments in this topic

6 posts
60 battles

I know. I researched. German BB if you want secondaries.

But USN BB seem to end up with so much passive AA without trying - do you really need to invest hard in USN BB AA? Don't you kind of get it for free anyway?

Is a secondary build for USN BB viable - even if not as much pew pew as comparable German BB?

783 posts
4,819 battles

USN secondaries are gimped in comparison to KM BB that it's usually not recommended.
The secondaries don't have the raw number or rate of fire at all to dissuade DD rushes or be 'noticeable' in brawls. That and their base secondary range isn't that good.
Other skills, mostly in survivability will serve your USN BB captain well.

Only USN BB that 'could' probably appreciate a secondary build is Montana which can get to around 9.1km max range while having decent RoF on the 127mm despite not being that numerous.

Edited by SZYZWY

[1AN-E]
303 posts
3,837 battles

iv got a secondary build on my montana also had it on iowa and your right about the dd rushes. but over all a sceondary build is not out of the question and with carriers coming back u will also have a decent aa build either way

1,386 posts
8,230 battles

Up to you. If you have enough points and do want something that works great against DD and help you a bit against other ships, you can opt secondary build.

Montana's secondary is pretty good, decent RoF and alpha damage for killing DD, and nice chance of fire to burn cruisers and battleships. Iowa's secondary has meh fire chance, but can still be good against DD.

The problems are range and survivability. USN secondary have less range than IJN or KM. Montana can reach 9.1km while GK and Yamato can reach 10.6km. And Yamato/GK both have better secondary than Montana. Also, unlike GK whose citadel is impenetrable and well protected against HE, US high tier BB has a big citadel and is more prone to HE damage. So getting killed before your secondary do good damage is often.

Iff you

1.often get into that kind of range,

2.can survive for a time long enough to make secondary guns do their work,

3.sure that you want supportive fire in that circumstance and

4.have enough points,

go for it.

But there's an advantage in US BB secondary build. The second upgrade slot. US BB don't have accuracy mod in that slot, instead they have range mod which is pretty useless from North Carolina. The transverse mod is, IMO, not a good option, as US BB have good turret transverse and you can opt using Seagal if you have him. So either AA range or secondary range. Unlike IJN or KM BB, you won't have to sacrifice main battery accuracy.

Bottom line: Keep in mind your main battery is always your main way of doing damage in a battleship.

Edited by _Halcyon

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

USN BB were fragile on close range

and the secondary gun settup, require the ship to expose a bit of broadside to make full use of it

it can be dangerous, since high tier US BB have high citadel

its high risk, low return IMO

Super Tester
7,544 posts
7,993 battles

Secondary build is viable in Montana and Missouri. They are really strong battleships. Lack of CVs at T10 might also be a contributing factor.

My Montana is secondary built and I can say that in brawls with GKs, I set more fire on GK than GK set on me. But for regular builds, I guess CE build would be better with points spent on Level 3 captain skills more.

Super Tester
1,310 posts

iowa montana and missouri can make use of 2ndary build.

tough. between those 3. missy shine best with M.2ndary. cuz radar.

my ex.iowa(now in montana) captain use 2ndary build. and i like to take him out in missoury.

Edited by ReNation

Beta Tester
908 posts

I use manual secondary build on my missouri. Its awesome. 9.6km secondaries and radar.

This works with a 19 point seagal captain as you can factor in faster turret traverse.

Also taking the secondary build on the missouri. You dont need to give up the 11% dispersion module. You dont give up range. Its already 23km and allows you to take concealment build to 12.2km as well. This is an ultimate BB in the line with 2.0 sigma. Now if WG will fix the Iowa citadel :) it will be incredibly tanky.

Edited by SlamUez