You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Teostra

USN DD build

14 comments in this topic

295 posts
6,579 battles

i'm currently at benson and planing to stop at fletcher, what is the best build for this ship? 
currently my skills are 
1. preventative maintenance

2. last stand 

3. demolition expert

4. concealment expert 
and with 2 skill points to spare, but top 20 skill build in captain comrade for benson and fletcher do not have Concealment expert on them, is CE considered to be a waste on USN DD?

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,954 battles

I like CE on my Fletcher, I'd never play without it. It makes you a more effective scout and allows you to torpedo with less concern. I personally didn't get Demo Expert but got the torpedo faster reload time. You can buff your fire chance with flags, but you cannot buff your torp reload with them.

Video Contributor
2,259 posts
10,776 battles

CE is very useful for IJN USS KM minimum 5.9km so you can sneak and spam torpedo or stealth cap

SI you must have it (you will have 4 charts smoke and engine/DFAA)

BFT more rapid

AFT might not useful but it will useful if it has CV (imo I need AFT for troll CV)

or RDF for hunting DD

295 posts
6,579 battles

I like CE on my Fletcher, I'd never play without it. It makes you a more effective scout and allows you to torpedo with less concern. I personally didn't get Demo Expert but got the torpedo faster reload time. You can buff your fire chance with flags, but you cannot buff your torp reload with them.

i take DE because my playstyle is more gun based than torpedo, but i'm also considering to take torpedo expertise next

CE is very useful for IJN USS KM minimum 5.9km so you can sneak and spam torpedo or stealth cap

SI you must have it (you will have 4 charts smoke and engine/DFAA)

BFT more rapid

AFT might not useful but it will useful if it has CV (imo I need AFT for troll CV)

or RDF for hunting DD

i have considered about AFT but i think for me it's not really worth it because that would expand my detection even bigger, and USN dd have lazy shells which is already hard to hit fast moving target at max range

the skills that i'm considered to take are

Superintendent, survivability expert, adrenaline rush, basic firing training, and torpedo armament expertise

which one should i chose or drop for 19 points captain? 

Edited by Teostra

783 posts
4,808 battles

It'll ultimately be a playstyle choice.

Never drop CE though. Any non RU DD takes advantage of CE so much that it's bad to run without it.

As for your skills, BFT and DE is good enough especially if you really go for gun focus. Fletcher torps do reload fast enough to 'not' take TAE, so only take it if you really will opt for a more torp focused playstyle. For overall utility, especially if you use smoke a lot, SI is a good choice but generally people will go SE because it just gives way more flexibility and how important HP is to DDs.

Personally though, you might want to get AR first before BFT and/or TAE if ever you're gonna take either. Mainly because AR is 'practically' BFT AND TAE in the usual matches considering USN DD role of fighting objectives.

Another thing to consider is the use of Radio Location. Mileages using this skill WILL vary greatly so decide for yourself if the extra information it'll give will serve you well.

Edited by SZYZWY

84 posts
4,438 battles

You sure does want to contest cap without Survivability Expert??

I find it really hard to contest against other destroyer let alone surviving the focus fire you receive when you're spotted without SE. 

I'm willing to not have DemoliXpert or SuperIntendent just to have that skill but I'm not giving up ConcealmentXpert tho. :v

211 posts
9,928 battles

PM

LS, AR

SI, SE

CE, RPF

That 19 point captian build seems like a pretty well rounded cookie cutter build to me.

There are other builds also, like focusing on torpedo reload to complement Fletcher torpedo's. It just depends on your playstyle or current ship in the line.

Skills like BFT and DE seem questionable to me, 3 captain skill points for such small gains.

1,105 posts
7,834 battles

you should never skip CE as US DD

DE is fine and fun, for random battles

SI can be usefull on long games, div or ranked. but its not usefull on every games you played. my personal priority were SE for the 3rd pick

with 2 Extra point in hands you should get Adrenaline rush.

well, for me AR is 2nd highest priority skill after "mandatory" CE for almost every ship :v

Super Tester
7,512 posts
7,978 battles

PT

LS

SE

CE

RDF

BFT

AR

PT and RDF feeds you so much info that you can never ignore them in a cap contester class. Similarly, LS, SE and CE gives you survivability you need. Now that you have spent 14 points, next three I got BFT. Why BFT over TR or DE or SI? Because RoF gives you an edge over other DDs in a cqc. DE does nothing to improve your cqc, it is good for setting fire on BBs, but that is not your primary role. You shoot enough, you get fire anyway. Then TR is for IJN, even though your torps are best in the game (!) you are not a torp boat. Last two goes to AR, for insane cqc experience. For SI, don't be a cheap captain use premium consumables.

My fletcher captain is 18 pt right now (yes I don't have fletcher, but I have a captain ready for her). And this is the build Im going for. I am also sure that this is one of the most competitive builds out there.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Super Tester
813 posts
3,912 battles

i'm currently at benson and planing to stop at fletcher, what is the best build for this ship? 

currently my skills are 

1. preventative maintenance

2. last stand 

3. demolition expert

4. concealment expert 

and with 2 skill points to spare, but top 20 skill build in captain comrade for benson and fletcher do not have Concealment expert on them, is CE considered to be a waste on USN DD?

I don't have much to add to the above suggestions but test all the builds/suggestions mentioned above on the PT server. That will give you a good idea of what you want and are more comfortable with.
Edited by karrablaster123

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

Direction center catapult fighter, expert loader, evasive maneuver, dogfighting expert, expert marksman, expert rear gunner, emergency take-off, manual secondaries, AFT

hue

1,329 posts
8,812 battles

Direction center catapult fighter, expert loader, evasive maneuver, dogfighting expert, expert marksman, expert rear gunner, emergency take-off, manual secondaries, AFT

Ise and Hyuuga are not in the game yet. :trollface:

783 posts
4,808 battles

from reading all the suggestions this is probably how my build will be

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000000011010010000000000119

then, what should i get for the remaining 4 points?

You can either go a 3+1 or a 4pt skill

For 4 point skills, only viable ones are AFT and RL for effectiveness.

AFT: It's gonna be mainly against CVs when you use DFAA. Otherwise, the extra range is simply a waste.

RL: Extra information and is a competitive skill for a cap contesting DD. As for justifying 4 points on using it, that is up to you.

For 3+1, the 3pt skill candidates are:

SI: If you use premium consumables and smoke happy, then you'll get to make use of all 4 smokes if the match goes on as long as it can. Mainly considered a luxury skill.

TAE: Only when you want to go for a torp focus hybrid with your already upped guns. Fletcher torps reload fast enough not to 'need' this even with focus on torping.

DE: To increase effectiveness against BBs, especially DoT stacking after torps, also considered a luxury of points but doesn't hurt if you're going gun focus pew pew anyway.

Well, tl;dr, you already have the core so the other skills are mainly luxury skills depending on you.

As for the 1pt skill, be sure to get priority target as it gives you a lot of hints on how in danger you are. It makes support for some good decision making especially in intense brawls.