Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_neppu

Training Room Shenanigans - Stern penetration without overmatching

15 comments in this topic

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,850 battles

Hi, everybody. This is my first thread about my exploration on the game mechanics. In this thread, I made my experiment with WJChen and Kimok69 regarding aft penetration without requiring overmatching caliber.

Before we countinue, let's provide some description on some of the technical terms:

Ricochet: The condition where the armor-piercing shell impact a layer of armor at sufficiently steep angle and skip off the armor without doing any damage. In most cases, if the shell cannot overmatch the layer of armor, the shell with impact angle steeper than 45 degree will have the chance to richochet and will almost always ricochet with the impact angle steeper than 60 degree (USN 203mm and RN Cruisers are the exceptions). High explosive shells do not fall in this rule.

Overmatch: The ability of the shell to ignore the auto-bounce angle and go through a certain layer of armor where the said shell caliber is 14.3x larger than that layer of armor thickness.

In the video I posted, we used Montana (me) and Izumo (Kimok69) as the examples in the training room. The Montana and Izumo both have 32mm bow and stern which would require a gun caliber larger than 457mm to overmatch it. However, some of the ship's stern do not have enough "pointyness" to trigger ricocheting. In the video, I managed to penetrate the Izumo's stern dealing some significant damage, but not able to citadel. At the end of video, however, I get instantly deleted by the stern shot from Izumo, which is likely the result of stern penetration into the rear citadel bulkhead, thanks to the Montana's ridiculously raised citadel.

Conclusion: If you are in the ship with round stern (i.e. Montana, Iowa, Izumo, Yamato) you are running the risk of stern penetration if you point it directly towards enemy's gun in the brawling. The risk further exacerbates when you are in the ships with raised citadel. Granted, the situation where you can take advantage or being at risk from it is rare, but who knows when the opportunity presents itself where you could penetrate someone with 16 inches in the aft...

MKMpFm.jpg

Work-in-progress (time allowing basis):

1. Test against more ships
  2. Do some reviews on ship's stern
Edited by Admiral_Neptulussus

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,850 battles

Wonder if WoW's will ever do anything about the Montana's citadel location........

Sub_Octavian said the change will be made 0.6.6 or later. The change will made the citadel looks like NC's (Waterline level with a gaping 19mm overmatchable hole in the mid-roof)

[MEGA]
4,561 posts
17,548 battles

why would they buff montana again, it's not the ship's fault that the player base think broadsiding is a good idea and has no concept of evasive actions

[LNA]
1,658 posts
10,425 battles

why would they buff montana again, it's not the ship's fault that the player base think broadsiding is a good idea and has no concept of evasive actions

We do not have a broadside meta , we have a camp sit snipe drink meta. Anyway irl ships wasnt that afraid to show broadside because of the horrible accuracy and ppl start with real life common sense before they know the game sense.

Not afraid to show broadside at the right time is a quality and you cant actively dodge shells in a high tier bb, you just make yourself a harder , unattractive target to shoot at through ship positioning or make the shell unlikely to hit a certain area.

Slightly lower the citadel give Montana a chance to show her powerful broadside and intimidate the other 2 BB without too high of a risk. It is still very risky , but you wont get deleted for trying the gamble

Edited by legionary2099

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,850 battles

so HE will explode an never Richochet?

No, HE shells only penetrate, citadel, or shatter thanks to their instant fuse timer.

340 posts
7,054 battles

Yeah because I purposefully sail broadside everywhere, in fact I enjoy being citadeled so much I offer up my broadside for anyone to take 20k plus damage off me. The ship is bad. I get citadeled by T8 ships with an angled bow. Bait the other team into aiming at the armour belt you say yet all that does it get you citadeled even faster. Why don't you make a vod and show us all exactly how not to get citadeled? All that aside, the Montana is just not a match for the other T10 BB's. If you grind your way to a T10 BB it should'nt just be a T9 ship with an extra gun turret.

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,850 battles

Why don't you make a vod and show us all exactly how not to get citadeled? 

Watch yuro's clip on how to bait shots into your angled belts with Missouri. This should also works on Montana with thicker belt/forward bulkhead.

Ps. Please keep the thread from derailing too far.

Edited by Admiral_Neptulussus

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,850 battles

Update: The stern section of Izumo, Iowa and Yamato (and presumably Montana) can be penetrated with Myoko's 203 as well, but not able to be citadelled with it.

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,850 battles

shooting someone right at the stern is too ecchi

anyway do you guys noticed that some penetrations have no damage?

Damage saturation: If you damage the same spot many times over, the section of the ship will run out of its HP. Once the HP of the section do down under a certain threshold, the damage will be reduced by half. Continue shooting until the HP of the section runs out will eventually deal no additional damage to the ship.

This also explains why some DD ate a dozen of torpedoes to the bow and not die.

[MEGA]
4,561 posts
17,548 battles

Yeah because I purposefully sail broadside everywhere, in fact I enjoy being citadeled so much I offer up my broadside for anyone to take 20k plus damage off me. The ship is bad. I get citadeled by T8 ships with an angled bow. Bait the other team into aiming at the armour belt you say yet all that does it get you citadeled even faster. Why don't you make a vod and show us all exactly how not to get citadeled? All that aside, the Montana is just not a match for the other T10 BB's. If you grind your way to a T10 BB it should'nt just be a T9 ship with an extra gun turret.

1. there are plenty of vids out there showing how to angle your belt, no need to make my shitty computer explode trying to make one

2. "belt tanking" isnt showing broadside, if you haven't learned and somehow still get citaded by T8 BBs at a angle then it just goes to show you still have no idea how to play that ship

3. montana is not "a t9 with a extra gun turret"

Sign in to follow this