You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
mkla

Strafing broken?

8 comments in this topic

1 post
7,681 battles

I am constantly finding the situation where I have pinned an enemy fighter squadron into combat with one of my own fighter squadrons. The other player then orders a strafing attack by their fighter which has two effects. Despite being pinned by my fighters, it proceeds to strafe kill nearby bombers and also moves the their fighter squadron out of range of my fighter squadron which remains where the original combat was taking place.

Has happened enough times, that I can't be bothered playing CVs any more.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Haven't been reading the patch notes?

Fighters may now disengage from an air battle against another squadron by means of a manual attack (ALT-attack). In case of a withdrawal from the air battle via the ALT-attack, squadrons of all carriers withdrawing from the battle will lose one aircraft—this rule will not apply to Saipan whose squadrons will not lose aircraft as it has only 3 fighters in squadron.

2,225 posts
13,751 battles

Your problem may be a feature but strafing still broken.

I had multiple occasions where strafing fighters overtook bombers. According to notes that shouldn't happen.

Now, fighters with a speed higher than that of their targets will slow down as necessary without discontinuing their attacks. By doing so, they will be able to constantly keep their target under attack 

The only time the fighters did slow down was when they needed to catch up. So basically it seems to be doing the opposite of what it should.

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,495 battles

Your problem may be a feature but strafing still broken.

I had multiple occasions where strafing fighters overtook bombers. According to notes that shouldn't happen.

The only time the fighters did slow down was when they needed to catch up. So basically it seems to be doing the opposite of what it should.

The speed-matching only refers to dogfighting. It allows the fighters to properly stay on the enemy squadron, keeping them panicked in order to mess up their drops.

2,225 posts
13,751 battles

The speed-matching only refers to dogfighting. It allows the fighters to properly stay on the enemy squadron, keeping them panicked in order to mess up their drops.

Oh.

Well even so it seems odd how the fighters will overtake when strafing close but often wont catch up when strafing slightly behind.

p.s. I also had 1 where the strafe was essentially perfect. Both my Lexington fighters & enemy Shokaku bombers were full squadrons. Didn't kill 1 plane :amazed:.

Edited by keskparane

1,356 posts
8,888 battles

p.s. I also had 1 where the strafe was essentially perfect. Both my Lexington fighters & enemy Shokaku bombers were full squadrons. Didn't kill 1 plane :amazed:.

Perhaps the enemy had that skill that reduces damage taken for returning bombers. Plus unlucky RNG. I saw a recent Aerroon video where the exact same thing happened, though he did manage to shoot down one plane.

2,225 posts
13,751 battles

Perhaps the enemy had that skill that reduces damage taken for returning bombers. ...

True. That would make sense. Would also fit with his planes seeming to go different speeds when I was strafing.

[LNA]
1,671 posts
10,499 battles

The Evasive Maneuver is a broken skill that if you are not careful in setting up strafe the FT will overshoot and fly by faster than the bomber and in manycase a smart CV will have enough time to move his plane out of harm's way as the plane is tough as F. It is especially useful for strike US cv to deal with 2 IJN FT squads as they dont really have the ammo to deal with more than 1 squad if you dont give them the oppertunity to strafe. However that come with the abysmal turn around time since you are so slow.

In anycase the skill is extremely situational as if you dont use it your plane upon returning will always be faster than the FT and he wont catch up to you provided that he is some distance away. Also this skill is a bad idea for line up that include heavy AA platform around.

To GM and devs : i dont know if this is intended or not , but the break free from dogfight strafe is very powerful and will kill any plane along its path even if the strafing squad is still some distance away. Which mean the DPS applied area of that strafe is much larger than the ones found on a normal strafe.

I have destroyed 3 squads of Taiho bombers just when the strafe was starting and without it going anywhere near them