You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Saltyroo_58

Give us the Aussie flag

49 comments in this topic

[_BST_]
39 posts
13,301 battles

Wargaming .. WTF !! As a proud Aussie my blood starts to boil every time I play WoWs my beloved Perth has some obscure flag behind it and not like every other ship in the game that has a correct flag everyone except Perth that has a flag that did not come about till March 25th 1976 . I agree it being known as a Commonwealth ship it was but it's not the flag that represents the nation it fought for I see

this as a great injustice to the men of the Perth that died for our country under a Australian flag for their sake PLEASE CORRECT IT !!

Saltyroo_58 (Proud to be a Australian)

[BOTES]
438 posts
3,953 battles

not like every other ship in the game that has a correct flag everyone except Perth that has a flag that did not come about till March 25th 1976

The Germans would like to have a word, no, infact, two words with you.

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

The last time WG put correct WWII flags on the ships, the Koreans had a word with them about it so they have to remove it...

EDITED: if you really want it, there're always mods...

Edited by Shiroyasha_Gintoki

980 posts
12,617 battles

Wargaming .. WTF !! As a proud Aussie my blood starts to boil 

Saltyroo_58 (Proud to be a Australian

Somehow I am picturing you as one of those bogan white Australians who run around the country on Australia Day beating up and spitting at people of non-European descent.

Just my observation.

[_BST_]
39 posts
13,301 battles

Hot topic what flag do I want the Australian flag I thought that might be nice . Yes where is the swastika that should be a option .Yes your Southern Dragon should have the correct flag. Yes the white ensign was flown by all commonwealth ships at this time I am just asking to have the country of origin flag displayed behind it .  And as for you Mr.LordTyphoon all I can say you have got the wrong picture ...MATE !!       

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

The Australian naval ensign wasn't used until, what, 1967? Something like a good two decades after Perth sunk.

As AntifoulAwl points out, it's flying the White Ensign of the Royal Navy, of which the Commonwealth forces were seconded under. So yeah, it's the flag that represents the nation it fought for.

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

Somehow I am picturing you as one of those bogan white Australians who run around the country on Australia Day beating up and spitting at people of non-European descent.

Just my observation.

M8 you owe me a cup of coffee for your observation, kappa

[_BST_]
39 posts
13,301 battles

The Australian naval ensign wasn't used until, what, 1967? Something like a good two decades after Perth sunk.

As AntifoulAwl points out, it's flying the White Ensign of the Royal Navy, of which the Commonwealth forces were seconded under. So yeah, it's the flag that represents the nation it fought for.

​I agree on your point I am not disputing that fact it's just the British ships don't have the white ensign behind them they have the British flag so does the U,S  with Old Glory France so on only Germany is off because due to the ill feeling the swastika brings to some people . The Russians ship fought under two different flags but in game they are proud Russian USSR just like I'm a proud Australian. 

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

​I agree on your point I am not disputing that fact it's just the British ships don't have the white ensign behind them they have the British flag so does the U,S  with Old Glory France so on only Germany is off because due to the ill feeling the swastika brings to some people . The Russians ship fought under two different flags but in game they are proud Russian USSR just like I'm a proud Australian. 

British ships are, in fact, flying the White Ensign, whilst the US have the appropriate 48-star flag, and even the Russian ships have either the Imperial St Andrew's ensign, or the WW2-era ensign.

But if you're talking about the flag background in the port selection, then yeah - UK ships have the UK flag, French have the Tricolore, US has Old Glory, etc, but Perth has the Commonwealth flag in its background because it's filed under the Commonwealth navy ships. Which doesn't only consist of Australian ships - it's designed to be able to accommodate New Zealand, Canadian, hell, probably even Indian ships, which all served in the Commonwealth naval forces. Hence the decision to put the Commonwealth flag as a background instead of any individual state's flag. And I'd think a lot of proud New Zealanders/Canadians/Indians/etc might take offence if their flag background was a completely unrelated Australian flag.

[_BST_]
39 posts
13,301 battles

Again you are so right at what your saying the New Zealanders and Canadians and Indians have got the right to not want a Australian flag .. HELL NO !! They should have the right flag behind them too not something that means nothing to them and not something that was brought in 30 years after the war . 

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Yeah, if you want the Aussie flag in the background, that would involve creating a separate tech tree for every individual nation, with associated flag and captain support. Which is probably not going to happen. If you really want it, then mod it in yourself. In any case, the individual ships are already flying the appropriate ensigns (other than the Germans because reasons).

[_BST_]
39 posts
13,301 battles

And further on the matter, no Aussie ship ever flew the Aussie flag in WW2.

​YES !! And they didn't fly the Commonwealth flag either that wasn't even thought about back then .. But it's a Australian ship have the flag behind it .     MODS nup !! They cause problems with new patches

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

MODS nup !! They cause problems with new patches

No, they don't, but nice try.

Beta Tester
486 posts
7,921 battles

Ummm the Leander is a New Zealand crewed ship, belonging first to the New Zealand division of the Royal Navy. It became part of the Royal New Zealand Navy in 1941, but it flew the Royal Navy ensign.

And yes I would not want an Australian flag in the background!!!

They claim too many things as Australian eg pavlova,band Crowded House, Phar Lap and the list goes on LOL

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Ummm the Leander is a New Zealand crewed ship, belonging first to the New Zealand division of the Royal Navy. It became part of the Royal New Zealand Navy in 1941, but it flew the Royal Navy ensign.

And yes I would not want an Australian flag in the background!!!

They claim too many things as Australian eg pavlova,band Crowded House, Phar Lap and the list goes on LOL

you can have Russel Crowe back