Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
FishyPower

What is the current state of the game?

9 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,229 battles

Could the veterans of the game give some insight about the metas of the game? Comparing it to World Of Tanks would be a great help given my World Of Tanks background. While I am by no means good, so it might feel like a rant, but this is my view.

1. Skill is a lot less useful here. It's all about focus firing here, a group of cruisers spamming HE at around 13KM will easily take out a BB as there simply is no cover to hide from them. In world of tanks, Heavies can fight in towns, which lets you control where you take the hits. In World Of Warships, there simply is no way to hide, a island might cover one side of your boat, but the enemy can maneuver and bring you into their field of fire while it is simply impossible to keep that island in between you and the enemy. Angling against 1 enemy might help you, but the enemy are everywhere that angling against one target simply present your weakness to another enemy.

2. Game is a lot more team dependent compared to World Of Tanks. Like I've said, focus firing is a lot more important here, and so far, I've rarely seen a form of team play. I've had game where I division up and we carried the game, with a Sims, and 2 Atlantas, but it is just too risky to depend on your teammate in this game. Pushing in a BB just cause the enemy to focus fire on your without much return.

3. It's nearly impossible to carry in this game. Throw me into a 1v5 situation in World Of Tanks, and I can hope to carry. Mediums and Light tanks can play vision games, while a heavy can use cover and armor to force the enemy to come close where firing means being spotted and thus allowing the Heavy to return fire. In World of Warships however, a DD does not have the firepower to fight back against the enemy especially now that invis fire in no longer available, a BB doesn't have the speed to fight against a win by points or capture of bases and a CA is even more vulnerable against HE spam

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Call BS to all 3 points. Explanation later. Meanwhile...cannot carry? Oh please.

Edited by Haku

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,229 battles

Call BS to all 3 points. Explanation later. Meanwhile...cannot carry? Oh please.

https://i.imgur.com/Jh0Q5D9.jpg

I'd love insight on this, but towards the upper tier, I really don't know what to do. I can carry at tier 4 in my Arkansas Beta, but at tier 8, I'd be lucky if land in the middle of my team in terms of EXP earned. I know I'm definitely not a good player, but damn, I really don't see any way out.

1,333 posts
8,823 battles

4. Pay to Win

I would say WoT is way, way more Pay to Win than WoWS is currently. Gold ammo, food, crew training, etc.

1. Skill is a lot less useful here. It's all about focus firing here, a group of cruisers spamming HE at around 13KM will easily take out a BB as there simply is no cover to hide from them. In world of tanks, Heavies can fight in towns, which lets you control where you take the hits. In World Of Warships, there simply is no way to hide, a island might cover one side of your boat, but the enemy can maneuver and bring you into their field of fire while it is simply impossible to keep that island in between you and the enemy. Angling against 1 enemy might help you, but the enemy are everywhere that angling against one target simply present your weakness to another enemy.

I totally disagree. I would go so far as to say that WoWs requires a different set of skills compared to WoT. For example when aiming and shooting in WoWs, you need to accurately predict not only your movement, but also the enemy's, and be able to make all those calculations in your head as the battle rages in real time. Not to mention you will mostly likely be engaging your WASD hacks at the same time. In WoT, you will mostly likely be spending your time peak-a-booming, poking round corners or over ridgelines just enough to get a snapshot into a poorly-armoured area before retreating back into cover. 

And if you are having enemies on all sides in WoWs, it means you are badly out of position because failed to read the map or situation, which is another skill that WoWs emphasises compared to WoT. In WoT, you can quickly go into reverse or duck into cover if you overextend. In WoWs, not so much, so you got to be even more aware of the map and your surroundings to ensure you don't get out of position in the first place.

For the 2nd point, I don't think WoWs is any more team-dependent than WoT is. In WoT, you still need your Heavies to be at the front instead of camping at the back, you still need a buddy to cover your back or hold the ground while your autoloader (I hate using that term) tank is reloading, you still need your scouts to do their job etc. Both games are team games anyway, so being team dependent shouldn't be a surprise to anybody. 

Same for the 3rd point, I don't think it is impossible to carry in WoWs.  I am pretty sure you have gotten your fair share of Krakens, High Calibers and Confederates before, right? That is carrying right there. If by carrying you mean winning the game when you are the last one left alive on your team against 5 enemies, then yeah I suppose it is harder to do so in WoWs. But hey, it is a team game after all. 

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Ever heard of aiming and evading and/or tanking shots? No cover is not a valid excuse (for most scenarios) in this game, with how the game is played.

2. Game is a lot more team dependent compared to World Of Tanks. Like I've said, focus firing is a lot more important here, and so far, I've rarely seen a form of team play. I've had game where I division up and we carried the game, with a Sims, and 2 Atlantas, but it is just too risky to depend on your teammate in this game. Pushing in a BB just cause the enemy to focus fire on your without much return.

The game is team-dependent, yes. You need your team to perform properly to win games, but at the same time, there is a lot of room for individualistic merits. They can never take away your skill of judging a player's position and calculating the lead required to hit the target. That still matters.

3. It's nearly impossible to carry in this game. Throw me into a 1v5 situation in World Of Tanks, and I can hope to carry. Mediums and Light tanks can play vision games, while a heavy can use cover and armor to force the enemy to come close where firing means being spotted and thus allowing the Heavy to return fire. In World of Warships however, a DD does not have the firepower to fight back against the enemy especially now that invis fire in no longer available, a BB doesn't have the speed to fight against a win by points or capture of bases and a CA is even more vulnerable against HE spam

I call BS here; it should be difficult to carry (that is kinda the point) but at the same time not impossible. It what makes the game fun and what makes comebacks all the more satisfying.

All in all, most of you populares want to win all the time. You expect teams to follow whatever you want. You expect enemies to simply fall over for you. If you did that, the game wouldn't be fun, would it? The trick (and the real merit) is to get wins with the teams that you have and the enemies that you are against.

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,229 battles

Yeah, that's probably it. It really takes a lot of mind power to think through the repercussion of each move you make. Finally getting my Anshan to work, but it seems like sniping from afar is really the safest way to play RN. Pushing in my Bismarck just ends up badly for me.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Yeah, that's probably it. It really takes a lot of mind power to think through the repercussion of each move you make.

Pretty much, but that will come with time and experience.

Sign in to follow this