Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BirdyGod

How does distance affect AP shells penetration value

4 comments in this topic

8 posts
2,407 battles

Hello, i am currently a Japanese cruiser main but i'm moving over to the British line soon so i was wondering how does distance affect AP shells ability to penetrate armor, also i would like to know this specific topic as a bonus, does velocity gives you your arc? like slow velocity = rainbow arc, while fast velocity gives you a straight line of fire, that's how logic works in real life but does it apply in this game?

173 posts
5,332 battles

RN cruisers have those special AP shells that has shorter fuse to minimize overpens. However, generally, AP penetrative capability reduces as distance increases, plus factors such as angle of approach, armor thickness, etc.

Regarding velocity/arc, YES and NO. Generally, lower shell velocity = Park behind island then shoot. However, there are other factors. Basically what you see in-game is the INITIAL shell velocity. But there's also the factor of shell air drag and this also affects the trajectory of shells. Best example is Akizuki. It has 1000 m/s IV. However as her shells leave the gun barrel, it suffers much from air drag due to the weight, or lack of, the shell resulting in floaty arcs at distance. On the other hand, Moskva, also has high IV value, but her shells suffers less air drag, resulting in laser-like arcs.

On the other hand, NC has very slow IV, but due to the super heavy shell, it is not quite as floaty as the shells of the relatively faster US 5" 38 gun found on US DDs, and travels much faster to the target than the smaller DD shell.

Edited by KirstieBeau

8 posts
2,407 battles

But is there anyway that you can calculate how the AP shell can penetrate through the armor from different distances, like example how HE shell has it's penetration value equal to about 1/6 of shell's diameter — or 1/4 of a shell's diameter for German battleships, that is because i am currently at Japanese cruiser Zao and knowing that high tier battleships has strong deck armor, i got inertia fuse for HE shells to counter that because if i continue hitting their superstructure, it will soon become saturated and take no damage but with IFHE i can now do much more damage (at least) to American battleships somewhat weak deck armor because 203/6 can only penetrate 34 mm type of armor but with this commander skill i can penetrate 42 mm type of armor which can allow me to even solo American battleships, also thank you for the explanation of the velocity/arc topic, it makes perfect sense, thank you!

Sign in to follow this