You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Serazahar

Best Nation to start for a new player?

37 comments in this topic

66 posts
4,069 battles

Hello, I just recently started this game and was wondering which nation is the most beginner friendly? I want to play the destroyer line. :D Thank you for your opinions! Very appreciated!

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

Hello, I just recently started this game and was wondering which nation is the most beginner friendly? I want to play the destroyer line. :D Thank you for your opinions! Very appreciated!

You naughty fella..... What were you thinking......

#BUSTED

On topic, Play Canadian DDs, they are the best!

Edited by icy_phoenix

1,105 posts

seriously dont troll the newbie bro :V

from what people talking :

USN DD is good with more smoke and better gun, IJN DD got nerfed into sea cat but can be decent, RU DD have a bigger size with GG GUN....... 

this is my advice :

if you fail or sux at playing DD or other class,then got frustated..... try IJN CV

aaand if you want to try BB, go for German #1 science BB

btw, NEVER TRY GERMAN CA or USN CV!! they sux

2,217 posts
13,678 battles

I expect German most beginner friendly but things change. But each line has strong ships and weak ships. Overall the US line is probably the most consistent.

Playing other ships helps you learn how to counter them so I would recommend not getting too focused on just DD. Know your enemy.

307 posts
6,412 battles

While i respect other peoples Opinions.  I think the IJN DD's in the lower tiers are far more friendly than all the other tiers, it is when you get up to T7 or above that the other ranges are far superior, especially the German and USA ranges.

German in the lower tiers just suck bigtime, USA while a super gun boat struggle with the short range torps to really attack anything beyond a DD unless you are good at ambush tactics....

The IJN's have good range torps can torp and run without too much detection if any at all.... if you get in a gun battle with the other DD's you can simply run behind a Cruiser or Battleship.

Learning wise it is the easier of the DD models and rewarding ....

Regards

412 posts
9,223 battles

for lower tiers, go for IJN DDs because they are noob friendly, but at higher tier USN DDs are far more superior and requires different kind of playstyle than IJN DDs. IJN CA/CLs also noob friendly IMO since they have good handling and quite good damage output.

Unless you want to go full tryhard by doing RN CLs first, it's up to you to decide :x

66 posts
4,069 battles

You naughty fella..... What were you thinking......

#BUSTED

On topic, Play Canadian DDs, they are the best!

Wh-what? And thank you everyone for your opinions! After reading through, I guess USN DD is the most beginner friendly but IJN DD is more beginner friendly in lower tiers. If I wanted to play Battleship, I should probably go for german ones. They do look glorious as well after all. :D  And for cruisers would be USN ones. I wanted to try either the german destroyer or the russian destroyer since they look nice in higher tiers, especially the 150mm! Not sure how effective russian destroyer is after checking that the detection radius is so big! The IJN destroyers looks very uh thin......

173 posts
5,332 battles

Wh-what? And thank you everyone for your opinions! After reading through, I guess USN DD is the most beginner friendly but IJN DD is more beginner friendly in lower tiers. If I wanted to play Battleship, I should probably go for german ones. They do look glorious as well after all. :D  And for cruisers would be USN ones. I wanted to try either the german destroyer or the russian destroyer since they look nice in higher tiers, especially the 150mm! Not sure how effective russian destroyer is after checking that the detection radius is so big! The IJN destroyers looks very uh thin......

If you want easy mode and annoy everyone on the enemy team and be a super-annoying pest that's so hard to kill they will curse you, play Russian DD and fire away at long range with your guns. Most fun for me. :trollface:

If you want mix of tactical/brawler playstyle go USN/Germans. I'm a Farragut main.

If you want surgical, patient, high risk high reward playstyle, go IJN.

Personally I would recommend you try the Russian DD playstyle. Takes a while to get comfortable with it but you will enjoy it. Minsk, Kiev, Udaloi, Grozovoi, Khabarovsk, very good ships.

Edited by KirstieBeau

520 posts
11,126 battles

Like what most say.. I think the USN DD line is the most wellrounded of them all. Very New Guy friendly.

Soviet DDs are also a good choice also being very good gunboats.

German DDs are an aquired taste. They are a bit like the USN DDs but with more toys to play with, specifically sonar.

IJN DDs, are very tricky to play. Aside from Kamikaze/Fujin... Imho, the entire line was a shadow of what it once was. Im speaking aa i use mostly US and German DDS.. Ijn dds are the usual prey unfortunately. I have only seen unicums perform well with IJN recently.

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
464 posts
9,858 battles

Oh sweet this is not newcomer section so we can go all out

Screw DD, Play BB, be the best baBBies in the werld

66 posts
4,069 battles

Hmmm but doesnt destroyers have very low hp? is sailing around full charge out in the open really a good idea though? One think I dont like about IJN destroyers is that they look weird except akizuki. Akizuki looks nice........ USN DD seems very balanced and looks very inviting hmmmmm

Oh sweet this is not newcomer section so we can go all out

Screw DD, Play BB, be the best baBBies in the werld

But I want to play destroyers!

Trap botes

Trap botes? What do you mean by that? 

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,283 posts

Try all classes just to get a feel of all of them.

I don't play DD's or CV's, but I test them from time to time and enjoy some aspects of their play.

You never know until you try......

307 posts
6,412 battles

Hmmm but doesnt destroyers have very low hp? is sailing around full charge out in the open really a good idea though? One think I dont like about IJN destroyers is that they look weird except akizuki. Akizuki looks nice........ USN DD seems very balanced and looks very inviting hmmmmm

But I want to play destroyers!

Trap botes? What do you mean by that? 

Beware that the USN DD's until you get to Tier 7 have a very short torpedo range,  they are pretty much HE Spammers, and sitting in Smoke and torping anything that comes at you in smoke.  If you like sinking BIG things IE Battleships in the lower tiers, IJN's will do it.  In the lower Tiers they do not have the WASD skils, they do not have hydro or radar and its not until Tier 4 the the Carriers appear so you are pretty much capable of learning how to torps how to use concealment and how to cap zones.  When i say how to use torps, its not about firing them, its about understanding concealment and torping, defensive torping, ambush torping, understanding torping while ships are moving away, torping BB's vs CL's vs DD's .... all these skills need to be learnt before you get to T7 or above.   And only IJN's are going to give NEWB lessons on these as Russsion DD's are 4 K ranges and US DD are not much better than that.

As a DD player, and i mean i spend 90% of my time playing DD's its the best advice i can give to a newbie who wants to play DD's

WG Staff
461 posts
525 battles

1. Choose a country to start with.

2. Choose a line that you want to complete in the tech tree.

3. Stick to it until you finish the entire line.

*On the way, make sure to div up with people so you get the feel for the seas.*

66 posts
4,069 battles

Okay thank you everyone for the advise! I think I will continue the german destroyer line for now. The forward torpedo tubes really helps out alot. I dont think I am cut out enough to try Russian Destroyers and dodging all the shells for now. The german destroyers looks very solid in my eyes. :D

66 posts
4,069 battles

1. Choose a country to start with.

2. Choose a line that you want to complete in the tech tree.

3. Stick to it until you finish the entire line.

*On the way, make sure to div up with people so you get the feel for the seas.*

Also thank you for the advice :D Seems very solid!