You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Aaditya_AJ

IJN DDs And Their Uses..

71 comments in this topic

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

We all know that IJN DDs were soo OP that WG had to take some serious steps to prevent the huge impact they were having over the game... 

These DDs before the rework had an amazing torpedo hit ratio and HE damage was insane...Even USN and Russian DDs couldn't counter these DDs... Most of the Unicum players preferred these DDs because these were the most stand out...(Or that's what WG thought of):trollface:

After the Rework...Even now Most of Unicum players prefer these DDs don't misunderstand me here... I mean Unicum players now prefer them on the enemy team...:trollface: Now these DDs/players who play them just occupy a slot for enemy team to farm damage on...

Lets leave about IJN DDs as of now... What a DD must do is recon, provide smoke, capture the base and defend it... which USN and Russian DDs are doing well enough DEDDs are slightly lacking behind because of the players still not getting hang of their play style... 

Where as IJN DDs or lets say it's players don't even try to capture base derp around spamming torps(widespread which hits a friendly and same DD players are gonna say y u got into my torpedo's way)... and when you ask them to cap they say no support(where he has half of the team behind him)... Some players don't carry smoke which i can understand but at the same time the don't exactly make use of their torpedoes... Some players even refuse to spot...

Slowest reload time/traverse of guns, low HE alpha, unpredictable/unreliable torpedoes... or lets take only gunboat in the IJN DD line Akizuki.. WG said it can be used for AA purposes but it has to be separately spec it for AA... no DFAA fair enough... But why is Hood getting DFAA?? and Akizuki loses everything else for being a gun boat...

For now IJN ships have no major uses in the game itself... they are just in the game for the opposite team to farm damage on...

No hard feelings against anyone but IJN DDs are just bleh at this point...

Edited by Aaditya_AJ

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

IJN DDs are more like taking down big ships than doing what gunboats do.

And that's why most BB players still think that IJN DD still need to be nerfed instead of buffing them.

Not when they are the only DD on the team... 

Most of BB players don't think IJN DDs should be nerfed they think their torpedo damage and flooding damage per sec should be reduce there is a difference...

Good for flushing out ships from smoke maybe

Not a lot of the smoke oriented CL players smoke in a place where they are vulnerable to torpedoes even myself I use hydro when I sense a DD near by or feel like there is a DD threat...

IJN DDs are extremely easy to be countered... 

Super Tester
316 posts
3,400 battles

honestly as a BB player, i dont see IJN DDs as much of a threat outside outside of keeping me spotted, there torps are so easy to spot its very easy to dodge or position so it hits my torpedo defense if i cant dodge, not to mention the fact that once i know they have used there torps i can just destroy them while they cant do anything to stop me.

The torp nerf can be justified, but that HE nerf they took was overkill honestly, per shell it was strong yes, but it was still out damaged by USN and RU DDs in a gun fight, the high HE just made it possible to punish these DDs for making mistakes like constantly missing or not trying to dodge if you could aim, they didnt have the RoF for a drawn out fight and just missing 1 salvo was punishing

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

IJN DDs are more like taking down big ships than doing what gunboats do.

This is quite true, I'll never understand why JP DDs start using their guns when they're contesting cap, just launch some easily avoided torps and let me sink you.

Like this guy, he's doing it right, why can't the rest of you be like him?

PfV3G0L.jpg

1,124 posts

the BEST tactic for IJNDD torpedo to be effectively, is to go and launch it from where enemy don't expect you to go

and that's mean 'outside' cap area

I dare you, 99% of torpedo that launch form inside cap zone is miss. since enemy expecting it.

it's how WG design them, to go around cap zone rather than compete it directly.

if you look at Shimakaze or any other IJNDD best match on you-tube, most of it are strike from outside cap zone.

Edited by PGM991

[151ST]
1,010 posts
4,494 battles

The problem is twofold

1. Spotted range of IJN torpedoes is horrible, specially considering that's their niche.

2. So much DD counter in the game at the moment, the weakest DD v DD ship becomes useless, in this case that's the IJN DD...

So can't cap, USN/SN/KM too good.

Can't smoke as well as USN/SN

Can't take out BBs, torps spotted too early, ship spotted too early, so many Cruisers and Gunboat DDs to contend with...

Silly WG.

IJN DD was a trade off, you can't win the DD fight, ie cap/screen good but you punished enemy BBs/CAs that are out of position and/or unprotected.

Don't worry guys, if IJN DDs get buffed there's still the RPF skill and Radar, both of which would then see use meaning the IJN DDs would still be underpowered...

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

honestly as a BB player, i dont see IJN DDs as much of a threat outside outside of keeping me spotted, there torps are so easy to spot its very easy to dodge or position so it hits my torpedo defense if i cant dodge, not to mention the fact that once i know they have used there torps i can just destroy them while they cant do anything to stop me.

The torp nerf can be justified, but that HE nerf they took was overkill honestly, per shell it was strong yes, but it was still out damaged by USN and RU DDs in a gun fight, the high HE just made it possible to punish these DDs for making mistakes like constantly missing or not trying to dodge if you could aim, they didnt have the RoF for a drawn out fight and just missing 1 salvo was punishing

Don't know how the HE was OP in WG's perspective that they had to nerf it... totally agree with you on this...

IJN DD was a trade off, you can't win the DD fight, ie cap/screen good but you punished enemy BBs/CAs that are out of position and/or unprotected.

Don't worry guys, if IJN DDs get buffed there's still the RPF skill and Radar, both of which would then see use meaning the IJN DDs would still be underpowered...

IJN DDs are not supposed to one on one against gun boats... and they did counter other DDs they could just use guns for self defence which the guns were good enough but now they cannot save themselves because the damage out put from the guns is too low...

and I don't think rpf skill is much of a use because it notifies the person who is getting rpf'd and radar can be countered if you know radar ranges of each nation.. like USN/RN it is 9kms Russian it is 11.(something)kms

not much of a problem if you keep an eye out for your surroundings...

[151ST]
1,010 posts
4,494 battles

RPF would be effective for anytime an IJN DD is closer to the front (mid tiers for example).

Something I expect captains to have in high level ranked (which I didn't play last season)

I realise it isn't something that is widely picked up at the moment but is something that would be if IJN DDs were actually a threat again.

Oh, enemy DD over there about 8km away *radar* - DD dead

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

IJN DD is for spotting other DD.....

Not only for dropping torpedoes.......

As you can see some people don't wanna spot... all they care about is torping into random directions...
Edited by Aaditya_AJ

[NYANG]
454 posts
5,926 battles

As you can see some people don't wanna spot... all they care about is torping into random directions...

Yeah, that's the real problem.....  :(

Sometimes they do not care who are in front of him....

1,480 posts

I'm getting tired of these "oh woe is me, my DD is so bad, cry cry cry" threads....

They only whinge because they can no longer be invincible, invisible, 1 warrior super heroes, killing BB & cruisers with super fast multiple torpedoes, & not giving a damn about supporting their own fleet..

The majority of us players, wanted everyone to try & play the game more fairly, & WG stopped the over population & over use of these ships, by giving them well deserved nerfing, so now they complain & cry about it, & at the same time, talk about other ships, & how OP they are, & making recommendations on what needs to be needed........

maybe that's why we wear 2 shoes, they fit perfectly unless you try to put them on the other foot....

As a BB player, & when I play cruisers, I make sure I target IJN DDs first, because of their abilities & long range torpedo's, & I know a lot of other BBs do too for the same reason..

So when the next whinge thread comes up, just remember that we all have 2 shoes, & we never like them when its on the other foot.....

I'm glad to see so many different ships out there now.....

if you suck at one, then get a different one.... Easy peasey

Ordrazz

Edited by Ordrazz

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

I'm getting tired of these "oh woe is me, my DD is so bad, cry cry cry" threads....

They only whinge because they can no longer be invincible, invisible, 1 warrior super heroes, killing BB & cruisers with super fast multiple torpedoes, & not giving a damn about supporting their own fleet..

The majority of us players, wanted everyone to try & play the game more fairly, & WG stopped the over population & over use of these ships, by giving them well deserved nerfing, so now they complain & cry about it, & at the same time, talk about other ships, & how OP they are, & making recommendations on what needs to be needed........

maybe that's why we wear 2 shoes, they fit perfectly unless you try to put them on the other foot....

As a BB player, & when I play cruisers, I make sure I target IJN DDs first, because of their abilities & long range torpedo's, & I know a lot of other BBs do too for the same reason..

So when the next whinge thread comes up, just remember that we all have 2 shoes, & we never like them when its on the other foot.....

Ordrazz

Well...after lots of nerfs, IJN DDs went from "easy" mode to "hard" mode...

But all in all, they are still lethal to large ship like BBs but that can only happen if you are actually capable of using IJN DDs.

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles

When I play IJN DD, I do torp at random direction. That's how I get my 100k+ games every now and then :D

IJN DDs rely on unreliable means of dealing damage, so you need reliable players on them. :P

From my personal experience, you do exceptionally well in IJN DDs if you have experience in USN and VMF DDs. Although they are huge magnets for KC fans, but I don't like them at all. I can deal heavy damage with occasional IJN DD trials, but the game is mostly just drive around back and forth and wait for torp reload. That is too passive. I don't know why people even play ships this passive. They are not fun at all.

Edited by icy_phoenix

[151ST]
1,010 posts
4,494 battles

And so we come to the crux of the issue...

Majority of players just want a gunnery match...

And I have to be honest that is primarily what WoWS is now.

I can't remember the last time I felt threatened by torps.

As for those advocating 'IJN DDs are for spotting other DDs' - LOL.

Most DDs have a concealment value within about 1-1.5km of each other. Yes IJN are at the low end of that but they also suffer from being completely outclassed by other DDs in DD combat.

Other nations DDs can take the fight to other DDs at least on reasonable grounds. IJN can't.

Which means capping is useless, and some of you are advocating leaving their torps as is, which is funny as essentially what is being advocated is IJN DDs left with 1 niche; spotting...

What is the point in playing them then? There is little fun in that.

And to those talking about IJN DDs shouldn't be able to run off and solo, that's fair. However I suspect that opinion is coming from 'I don't want to be ninja-torped'. To which I respond 'wouldn't be an issue if you aren't running off on your own'.

Non-AS CVs and IJN DDs are there to punish out of position enemies, not just disrupt the enemy.

An IJN DD should be able to take an out of position CA or BB. Not always, but should be able to threaten them. At the moment they simply do not, outside of seriously noob opponents.

So:

- Outclassed trying to cap

- Outclassed with smoke/screen (KM aside)

- Capital ship hunting - too risky in current meta.

- Slightly better at spotting, however can be risky.

Tell me again why IJN DDs shouldn't be buffed?

Edited by S4pp3R

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

Ordrazz

I really feel that you need better understanding I never said I'm having problems playing with IJN DDs... if you don't understand what the thread is about just don't go blah blah blah on it... 

Let me explain it to you the easy way., I was talking about IJN DD players who just take place in the team and do nothing for the team because they use already an underpowered ship.. and if you cannot clearly see it now you'd get the point...

And to make it more clear IJN DDs are just useless... no point in them being in the game and WG should actually remove them from the game.. which would stop players playing them and being dead weight on the team...

Well u say I don't know how to play IJN DDs and need to change into other line right? sure enough i'll see which of the class i don't know how to play by comparing me with you... 

Your Anshan... which is possibly better than Farragut

r8x0eUp.png

My farragut

tyAxpAL.png

sadly i'm not rich enough to get Okhotnik so lets leave that

so you said you were BB and Cruiser main.. lets see that one too 

BB 

your most liked/most played BBs

lGfCHvO.png

These are my USN BB stats

Qs8nd1Q.png

CL

your T6 CLs

jF7epAh.png

My T6 CLs

nncAqxj.png

ujLlnqS.png

qU5bfFN.png

Now this also seems like a whine to you.. right so yeah. I'm whining about a person who becomes dead weight on the team and always seems to have been carried...

Never ever make fun of others or you'll become the joke...

The whole topic was about IJN players being Dead weight on the team...

Edited by Aaditya_AJ

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

Other nations DDs can take the fight to other DDs at least on reasonable grounds. IJN can't.

Which means capping is useless, and some of you are advocating leaving their torps as is, which is funny as essentially what is being advocated is IJN DDs left with 1 niche; spotting...

What is the point in playing them then? There is little fun in that.

And to those talking about IJN DDs shouldn't be able to run off and solo, that's fair. However I suspect that opinion is coming from 'I don't want to be ninja-torped'. To which I respond 'wouldn't be an issue if you aren't running off on your own'.

Non-AS CVs and IJN DDs are there to punish out of position enemies, not just disrupt the enemy.

An IJN DD should be able to take an out of position CA or BB. Not always, but should be able to threaten them. At the moment they simply do not, outside of seriously noob opponents.

So:

- Outclassed trying to cap

- Outclassed with smoke/screen (KM aside)

- Capital ship hunting - too risky in current meta.

- Slightly better at spotting, however can be risky.

Tell me again why IJN DDs shouldn't be buffed?

IJN DD's Guns should be buffed and that's it.. not much but should be enough to defend themselves...

1,332 posts
8,817 battles

IJN DD's Guns should be buffed and that's it.. not much but should be enough to defend themselves...

Perhaps buff their HE damage?

That way each nation's have DDs have different but useable guns, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

USN gets high RoF but poor shell ballistics.

IJN gets good HE damage and ballistics but poor RoF and gun traverse.

KM get good AP damage but worse HE.

VMF, being the ultimate gunboats, get good all-round guns.

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

Perhaps buff their HE damage?

That way each nation's have DDs have different but useable guns, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

USN gets high RoF but poor shell ballistics.

IJN gets good HE damage and ballistics but poor RoF and gun traverse.

KM get good AP damage but worse HE.

VMF, being the ultimate gunboats, get good all-round guns.

yes... but should be enough to defend themselves as of now they cant even defend themselves... 

Thing is even before the rework players didn't have an habit of using their guns...