PeterMoe1963

How to build a 15 (or higher) point captain?

13 comments in this topic

1,011 posts
7,430 battles

This may be a noob question, but I am wondering how people get 15 or even 19 skill points captains.

I think my highest point captain is an 8, my highest tier ships are tier 8.

Looking at the points required to collect 15 or even 19 skills points, I’m not sure how to achieve that best.

What I gather is that some people move their captains from ship to ship, as they work up the tech tree. Is that the best way? I’m asking because of the penalty when moving a captain.

Another point is that I like to retain and play lower tier ships, so I need captains. That is why so far I just left captains on the ships.

I have recently sold most of my ships below tier 3, and am moving those captains to higher tiers. That helps a bit.

Also, do people spend credits on skill points?

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Keep playing, that's all.

Some of the players who already have 19-points ship commanders now have been playing since open beta & released, which is June 2015 & September 2015 respectively. So long time to grind & commitment.

Video Contributor
2,264 posts
10,788 battles

Use flag

Zulu Hotel - xp commander 50%

EC Chalie London - xp for ship 50% but it can provide commander xp too (i'm not recommend if that ship is elite)

Dragon flag(rare flag) - xp commander 333% it's very useful you must have it (you can get from contrainer or mission)

Camos

Type 3 - xp ship 100% (from rank battle)

Type 6 - xp ship 100% (you can get from contrainer or mission or buy it)

And other read this wiki

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Camouflage

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,959 battles

Camouflage 250% Commander

Flag 50% Commander XP

Dragon Flag 333% Commander XP

Tier 1 ship, bought commander with 3 pts (costs doubloons)

Keep playing in tier 1 until hit 10 commander points or higher. Also I don't have commanders for premiums I use other commanders for them because no re-train in a premo ship.

If you want to keep lower/older tier ships you'll need to train more commanders.

I really wish WG would let you buy higher tier commanders. One of the BEST things about the Christmas update was the ships came with 10 point commanders which I think is the base line minimum req for a commander.

980 posts
12,617 battles

With the new Bismarck campaign, there's this new 777% commander bonus flag too. Keep an eye out for that. 

Remember to mount detonation-prevention flag when using commander bonuses to minimise that chance of epic disappointment. 

181 posts
4,257 battles

Also you can buy a premium ship which suits your play(of same country as the captain), switch captain to that ship, train him till he's 15/19, switch him back to original ship and complete the retraining. If you have credits use them, doubloons are even better. Premium ships are gold mines for training commanders. You can also use the Mikasa the if its a Japanese captain.

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

also the tier you playing at.

on tier 5, doing a very good game can earn you 2.000 base exp, but an average game in tier 8, you can get 2.000, and you can even reach 3k on a good game

using doubloon also works :D

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

also the tier you playing at.

on tier 5, doing a very good game can earn you 2.000 base exp, but an average game in tier 8, you can get 2.000, and you can even reach 3k on a good game

using doubloon also works :D

good games on tier 5s are usually 1.5k base, good games in tier 8s are usually 2k - 2.5k base, monster games will net you 3k or higher. It is exceptionally hard to get 2.5k+ base these days.

1,011 posts
7,430 battles

Thanks all for contributing. Apologies for not replying earlier.

I’m using flags, I’m using premium ships – including the Mikasa with the 6 point cat captain.

In my KM and IJN ships I now have several 9 point captains, I guess I just have to continue playing.

And yes, with higher battles/ships, higher XP and command XP.

At the moment I have about 50 ships, I guess they simply cannot all have 15 point captains, haha.

What WG charges for higher tier ships with trained captains is ludicrous. In my country, for a Hood with 12 point commander you pay close to $200 - no thanks.

312 posts
10,043 battles

umm u have to move commanders from ships to ships as u grind the tech tree downwards 
(unless u met some ships in which u love so much and dont wanna sell)
when u are grinding a T5 or above ship, u should gain more than enough exp to retrain the commander,
the surplus can further raise the commanders' level

also, don't buy a new ship immediately after you found an enjoyable ship (even an elite ship), stick with it 
use it to further gain commander exp

like i found budyonny very funny, so i stopped at her, keep earning credits and commander exp with her
after i have researched Shchors for a long long time

1,333 posts
8,823 battles

If you have some spare change, consider investing in some Premium time or Premium ships as well to train your Captains faster.

WoWs is pay to ease your grind after all, and getting a high-point captain is part of the grind.

1,011 posts
7,430 battles

What really helped was a sale of flags that increase Command XP - Dragon, Hydra and a couple more.  I have seen close to 20,000 Command XP in one game with some of those flags stacked. Have now a couple 10 point captains. I still get 3 point captains with new ships, but I send those to the lower tier ships and move the higher point captains to the high tier ships.

I have for example a Kagero with a 10 point captain and the 4 point Concealment Expert makes a real difference.

I'm still experimenting with 4 point skills with the 10 point captain for my Bismarck. In a way, I would like to increase secondaries and AA, but in my experience, a BB burns more often than being attacked by planes, and there are many games when secondaries do not fire a single round.