You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LonerPrime

Is there a practical point in keeping the Mikasa?

38 comments in this topic

294 posts
2,997 battles

So I got the Mikasa couple of days back. Wasn't really aiming for her but it happened anyway while I was grinding normally. Well and good I suppose. Tier 2 but premium nonetheless so I welcomed it. But after playing it for the first time, I was positively horrified.

Bad AP? Check

Bad dispersion? Check/Super Check if you are outside of 8km range.

Bad Firing Angle? Check. Give full broadside for both dual guns to align.

Bad Mobility? Definitely check. Agile cruisers/destroyers with half a brain can kite you all day long while you cruise at 17 knots with your frontal gun that probably has a 70%+ chance of missing.

Armor? Decent if you are tier 2. Tier 3? LOL what is armor against tier 3 BB? A Nassau shotgunned my citadel at 40 degree angle frontally. Nuff said.

I was about to sell it but I refrained. Instead I hit the forums to see what other players had to say. Well turns out they said something I didn't observe, her secondaries. And I was quite surprised finding out how many secondaries she carried. She is Yamato level when it comes the number of her little guns.

Okay, I decide to spec her for brawling. Assigned my Nagato captain with BFT and AFT to her while flying the Mike Yankee Soxisix. Take her out for a spin couple of more times. Results? I definitely liked her more since she makes players that are in direct vicinity of her panic because of the fear of damage that the volley of shells could be wrecking but in reality the damage counter is so insignificant that anyone with a calm brain would ignore the pew pew and continue engaging me. Have a look at this score:

fzadyo.jpg

I hit this guy 5 times with my frontal guns. 30 second reload  + 6 shots in total with my frontal gun = 90 second brawl at least. During that time my primary HE did nil damage even at 1km or so range. This I can understand to a certain degree since it was a BB I was facing. What I had trouble understanding is if Mikasa is supposed to be played as a brawler, why isn't she able to hurt stuff badly? Of all my 90 secondaries that connected, only 1 started fires on the Nassau while the other 2 were started by my non damaging main guns 30 seconds apart. Apart from the fires, I barely clocked 6k damage in those 90 seconds. This is especially bad when I am putting my broadside out if I want to take advantage of those secondaries. Basically asking to be citadled while getting peanuts in return.

So I really ask you folks, am I missing anything more about the Mikasa here? Honestly I am not much of a collector as I only keep ships that perform in my hands no matter how under powered they might be. But Mikasa feels like it was completely watered down so they could justify the quantity of her secondaries. Looking for tips or advice for this ship if you folks have any. I am not really hurting for a premium but I would rather not waste time with a ship that is not made for me.

Thanks in advance for reading.

Regards,

LP

Edited by LonerPrime

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

It used to be quite fun when it could still meet tier Is.

Ever since tier Is received protected MM, the Mikasa is almost always matched against tier IIIs which it suffers badly against mostly because she can't get close enough to use the secondaries which is all she has going for her as a tier II. The tier III BBs she has to face have comparable secondaries and better main batteries. One could always hope that WG would buff it by giving it preferential MM (i.e. always top tier), but I doubt that would ever happen due to the fact that tier II Random Battles are sparsely populated and the queue times would increase by a large factor.

Alternatively, just play it exclusively in co-op mode where you're more likely to be top tier and bots never kite you.

Up to you if you want to keep it or not. In case you decide to sell it, it does occasionally return to the premium shop (at least, for the ASIA region) should you ever decide to reacquire it.

294 posts
2,997 battles

That is very sad to hear. I didn't want Mikasa to be a rofl stomping seal clubber of newbies and I don't mind fighting tier 3 either. Its the defanging that hurts. She is really a situational dependent ship. If a player behaves like a bot you will have a lot of panicking guys that you will farm. If not... you will really only drag your feet to the engagement to find it is already over. Guess I need to make a decision here.

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

It's not really about whether the ship is good or not, or about clubbing seals. It barely holds its weight against same tier ships even before the MM changes.

The ship was what you use to have fun with secondaries back before manual secondaries and German BBs was a thing.

Now that you can't get close enough to use your secondaries (due to not being able to get close enough to tier IIIs) and that you can have more fun with secondaries in high tier German BB, it's just not as fun as it used to be.

[KGHSF]
3,202 posts
6,023 battles

high chance to miss Haifuri's stuffs :read_fish:

I don't care :sceptic: only thing I want is "Selling" 

294 posts
2,997 battles

You will need it for collab mission soon

May I ask, what collab missions? And I though Haifuri stuff was premium for payment only. Was something else announced in regards to that event?
Edited by LonerPrime

[LNA]
1,655 posts
10,411 battles

May I ask, what collab missions? And I though Haifuri stuff was premium for payment only. Was something else announced in regards to that event?

You need Mikasa to get the fatty cat from haifuri , should be around the 18th of May or at worst early of June

[AMPOL]
Beta Tester
3 posts
9,930 battles

Not an in-battle practical use but if you ever get a supercontainer with a ship in it or buy something like santa crates then having the Mikasa in port will mean that won't be one of the options - so even as a port decoration it has a reason to be kept

I sold my free Emden so santa thought I really needed another :happy_cap:

[LBAS]
4,454 posts
25,589 battles

i keep it, until i need credit :trollface:

I need credit as I want to sell 

Wanna make credits? buy T1(cost: 0 Credit) and make massive profits :trollface: (no fee)

294 posts
2,997 battles

Ahh alright. Not sure what I will do with a cat captain. Though seriously, a cat captain? In the anime all it did was make grunting noises. How the heck will players understand him... I am more curious than anything else. Either way, I guess I'll keep the Mikasa just for the reason stated by ApteryxG. Not like I am ever lucky in stuff like this, but if fate does strike, I don't want to get screwed over.

Edited by LonerPrime

[KGHSF]
3,202 posts
6,023 battles

for ME, I want to sell :angry::teethhappy::teethhappy: 

because no cat captain where is he? 

GVN54kM.jpg

Edited by THAI_THIEF

459 posts
8,260 battles

Myself I've learned to never use AP in the Mikasa because you either face ships with little armour and overpen or T3 BBs with enough to avoid significant damage. Also don't aim to hit the belt armour of the enemy ships, aim a bit higher and you can get some decent damage when your shots connect. The main battery dispersion can be horrible sometimes, but you should be able to deal with most of the cruisers.

Having the captain skills for improving the secondaries helps, and remember to assign targets even if you don't use the manual secondaries skill as you get a small buff for setting the target.

It's not a ship you should expect to dominate in, although it can surprise you sometimes.

294 posts
2,997 battles

Myself I've learned to never use AP in the Mikasa because you either face ships with little armour and overpen or T3 BBs with enough to avoid significant damage. Also don't aim to hit the belt armour of the enemy ships, aim a bit higher and you can get some decent damage when your shots connect. The main battery dispersion can be horrible sometimes, but you should be able to deal with most of the cruisers.

Having the captain skills for improving the secondaries helps, and remember to assign targets even if you don't use the manual secondaries skill as you get a small buff for setting the target.

It's not a ship you should expect to dominate in, although it can surprise you sometimes.

Indeed. AP is mostly disappointment while HE, even if it breaks on impact with zero damage still carries a fire starting chance which is pretty high on this ship. Sadly I don't have manual control of secondaries skill with my captain yet. 2 points more to go. I just have a very hard time figuring out the justice in gimping the ship so badly. 30 second reload? Turrets that take an eternity to turn? An armor that gets penned from the front? Dispersion so bad even if you give full broadside to fire all 2 of your guns? Shouldn't WG be balancing this ship after the MM changes? Anyone who remotely knows this ships will make sure to turn away from it and keep you kiting outside of your secondary range while you drudge at 17 knots. Mikasa really needs some help in my opinion.