Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Asian_noone

Get Kurfurst or stop at Freddy?

6 comments in this topic

31 posts
2,897 battles

I ask since I feel trying to grind 4 lines with only 100 xp flags and 1000 doubloons in stock (I give in, I finally blow money, you win WG) for camo, and 3 months premium is pushing me a bit and maybe I should ease up a line. 

Both BBs have 7km base secondaries, German hydro, and 406/420 options. However, while Kurfurst has the epic 12 gun broadside, best of turtleback, and crazy HP pool, its basic upkeep without permacamo (I'm still trying to stay frugal about spending money) is significantly higher as a TX ship, and its size makes it very sluggish. Freddy meanwhile has T9 costs, which may be more manageable in the longrun wihout Kurfurst's permacamo, and although it has less armor overall and only 8 guns, for some reason it also has WTF 80mm deck plates. Also, Freddy's MM gives it a chance to play with T7s. 

IMO, the real crux of my choice would be between the secondaries and what that entails for my captain (currently has AFT for that, undecided for second 4-pointer). From what I take after reading up on their secondary batteries, it seems that Freddy's secondaries emphasize higher fire chance and fast reload, similar to Bismarck, while GK's secondaries rely more on direct hits, since their projectiles have rather low fire chance but take the most advantage of 1/4 pen. So for me that pretty much comes down to either taking CE on Freddy (AKA meta friendly), with the secondaries being used to start fires, or manual secondaries (I am very willing to invest there even if it hurts me) on GK to land more hits with those guns and get damage out of them.  

All things considered, it's not like I'm that torn about which option to choose, if I stop at Freddy I can just wait until RU BBs arrive in 2018 to check out WG's representation of PRojEKT 24 while I finish up other lines, where by then I could determine if I should get that instead or go for Kurfurst again (I hope I would have already finished most of my grinds by then), but if I push for Kurfust now, then yay, second TX BB (because I would have probably already gotten Yamato by then). 

Edited by Asian_noone

[MEGA]
4,575 posts
17,576 battles

i personally dont like the GK, as opposed to what many people think, the armor is NOT good, it stops you from taking citadels yes, but you get whacked for 15K+ whenever you try to use full broadside, unlike the Montana and Yamato where you can angle reasonably well while firing all guns, the only saving grace is that the HP you lost can be easily gained back with repair party, the guns are.. meh, they dont nearly pack as much of a puch as yamato or Montana guns, even in 420mm configuration, but the 406 is goodish for it's fast reload speed, the AA is meh unless you spec it for AA, it has all the maneuverability of the continent of India, and has the turning speed of Jupiter, the hydro is useless because you cant dodge the torps even after you see them, oh and did i mention the ship's crew polish the decks with top quality napalm?

jokes aside, its a good ship to play as long as you get a chance to disengage and heal back the damage that's been dealt to you, the secondary are quite fierce, but mostly for show(nothing a good main battery salvo wont solve, it there is, then justs hoot it again), hydro can be useful in certain situations and even the yamato cant over-match your bow (they aim at your superstructure for ez 10k dmg), and you melt a lot slower to HE spammers cuz the deck cant be penned by some hits(top kek zao HE 9 hits 8 shatters). all in all, a easy ship to do good in, but hard to master(go play Montana instead)

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,495 battles

The secondary batteries are quite different on these two, despite appearances. Friedrich der Grosse is much better at starting fires (she has the same suite as Bismarck and Tirpitz), however the 105mm guns which comprise most of your firepower will shatter on Tier 8+ Destroyers, unless you also get IFHE. Grosser Kurfurst, on the other hand, has no such trouble smashing Destroyers with direct damage from the 128mm mounts. This comes at a severe reduction in fire-starting capability, however.

What's interesting is that Montana has a secondary battery which is fully featured - high rate-of-fire, good damage, the 127mm turrets are great fire-setters, and will wreck Tier 8+ Destroyers. She can get her range up to 9.1 km, too. I've only played her on various Test Server iterations but she seems pretty fun.

31 posts
2,897 battles

Since I've been suffering too many losing streaks, and therefore wasting real money on failure after failure, I decided I will just leave the grind at FDG. Therefore, I took CE on my captain. I intend to get MSEC at 18 points later.

Sign in to follow this