You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BravaZulu296

Jets for midway! but not the F2H

5 comments in this topic

347 posts

Why not have FH phantoms?

FH phantoms are pretty similar to the F2H except they were first flown in WW2 (not in combat, maiden flight 26 Jan 1945 62 built but then F2Hs arrived so FH phantoms were obsolete) FH phantom had lower range, less firepower and had a cruise speed of 216 knots (as opposed to the F2H's 400knts cruising speed?). The Bearcat in comparison has in game a cruise speed of 181 knots.

Then all the fighters in the USN tec tree line (aka saipan excluded) down to tier 6 can move down one tier (bogue does not change whilst Independence has 3 fighters to research instead) This would allow US fighters to catch strike planes PROVIDED They win the dogfight. So now 111 is a little more plausible instead of being hopelessly out matched.

Edited by BravaZulu296

347 posts

you do realise they removed the jets for a reason right

I know, because they were hard to balance and out of time, but the F2H was over 100 knots faster than the F8F in terms of top speed That's why I mentioned this jet - FH Phantom, which has a top speed 12 knots faster than F-8F, they could be incorporated into the game with a cruising speed of 216 knots (their historical cruising speed) and given lower load out than bearcat (they had smaller guns) with less ammo (FH can't carry as much as F-8F) and lower survivability (jet just means fast not more rugged) which gives the player a choice between dogfighting ability or ability to go fast enough to barrage the enemy multiple times before dogfight (i.e FH cannot beat F-8F in an equal dogfight (i.e. 6 vs 6) but FH is faster so it can chose to run away, turn around and barrage) bit like Kurfust picking damage (420mm) or reload time (406mm).There are picture available of FHs being operated off the midway class carrier Franklin D Roosevelt and the "balanced" light carrier at tier 7

500px-Itcame4.jpg

Edited by BravaZulu296

Video Contributor
2,267 posts
10,789 battles

They used to have F2H in the game but they replaced F8F because....

I forgot read at wiki Wargaming patch 0.5._ on March 

347 posts

They used to have F2H in the game but they replaced F8F because....

I forgot read at wiki Wargaming patch 0.5._ on March 

Even if you read the patch notes you would be able to remember because the reason wasn't stated on the patch notes themselves all it says is 

•  
  • "Fighter planes McDonnell F2H changed to F8F Bearcat." - http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Update_0.5.3
  •  
  • Thing is they didn't nerf USN bit by bit they took out Jets, a torpedo bomber squadron and buffed AA(efficiency of long range AA and increased amount of guns that are affected by defensive fire) and removed a fighter squad from Lexington at the same time IJN was also nerfed but weren't as hard hit they only suffered from plane reshuffling and buffed AA. USN also got bomb buff, which didn't really make up for removed TB squad because it was too RNG based. This doesn't account for the fact that IJN has lower rearming time than USN so faster planes (like the FH) that are significantly faster can make up for this (IJN had 60 second rearm for completely destroyed squad vs USN who wait aprox twice as long, USN need a counter for IJN + Saipan rearming time or else 1 USN Fighter squad is destroys 2 IJN Fighter squads then that USN squad gets destroyed for what every reason (mostly because there would only be one fighter in the squad left given it just destroyed 8-10 IJN planes), The the TBs and DBs finally get to their targets then one IJN fighter squad (replacement for the first one) arrives because they can rearm in 1 minute, and attacks the DBs causing nearly every bomb to miss (save for occasional lucky bomb drops) and USN fighters aren't even anywhere near finished to scramble and make the intercept or fast enough to intercept enemy bombers (even a fighter squad at less than 1/3 strength has it's value in panic)
Edited by BravaZulu296