You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
FenrirApalis

Upgrading to SSD

43 comments in this topic

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

So I just ordered a Samsung 750 evo 250gb ssd that I am gonna swap into my laptop because I feel like my HDD (5400rpm seagate 500gb) is dragging the performance back right now. So apart from faster game loading time what else would it improve? Ship rendering speed as they get detected? Maybe close range fps since a lot of sound and effect files are being loaded? Tell me pls uwu

2,221 posts
13,701 battles

I don't think you will see much difference in ship rendering. I have plenty of RAM & SSD and ships render slowly. I can watch the wake of a ship moving before the ship even appears.

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,702 battles

WIth the samsung if you use the inbuilt image copy of the drives, be aware it fills up the temp partition to 98 percent, i had to ghost a new partition as windows 10 needed more than a few MB in it.

165 posts
2,029 battles

since the game get all files in packages, my 5400 rpm hdd can load into the game 20-30 sec (first match)

and yes, it's a potato laptop

Video Contributor
2,264 posts
10,789 battles

SSD

pros :

speed read/write

can run to window faster than HDD and open program very fast

load into game 2-3 sec

do files very fast both install game from client only

cons :

EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!

low space than HDD (more space more expensive)

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,970 battles

So I just ordered a Samsung 750 evo 250gb ssd that I am gonna swap into my laptop because I feel like my HDD (5400rpm seagate 500gb) is dragging the performance back right now. So apart from faster game loading time what else would it improve? Ship rendering speed as they get detected? Maybe close range fps since a lot of sound and effect files are being loaded? Tell me pls uwu

The match will load faster. That's all, SSD's do not affect in game performance, FPS or anything else. The maps will load faster and other applications on that drive will load faster.

SSD's do make a difference though. Guild Wars 2 would load Lions Arch map in 57-59 seconds on HDD and 12-13 seconds on SSD.

Beta Tester
60 posts

I think 240GB is enough for game and software. you can put your download staffs on HDD.

120is a bit small. only a GTA 5 will use 65GB +Windows. 

for the speed i dont see much different, my wot is installed on HDD, almost the same.

if you get fast loading time probably,you got a good CPU.

344 posts
7,061 battles

Depends on the game, some games are CPU heavy and others are GPU heavy. I'm not sure which is the case with WoW. GPU heavy games will respond to graphics card upgrades while CPU heavy games will respond well to an SSD. I'm sure someone on here will know which one Wow's is (GPU or CPU heavy).

[LNA]
1,660 posts
10,438 battles

SSD are not worth it if your system has a bottleneck which can be: cpu, gpu, ram, internet connection , motherboard , temperature of the system at heavy load , psu shortage ,... . So it is only worth it if you have verified that you do not have such bottlenecks first if you want an SSD.

Also win 10 has an interesting preload cache function for autocad that will make full use of your SSD.

163 posts
7,901 battles

SSD really effects game loading times.  I am still speccing my new rig so playing warships on a Dell laptop from work with integrated graphics but an SSD!  Always load with 40-50 seconds spare, so you enter the game and have to wait for the damm clock, or hang at the team screen and watch who hasn't loaded yet.  If playing DD, can hit your engines and speed boost at 19:59.

How is your SSD connected? m2?, i.e. https://rog.asus.com/articles/product-news/ssd-guide-pci-express-m-2-msata-and-sata-express-the-differences-explained/

307 posts
6,412 battles

SSD will increase your load time and how your OS performs will be improved.

In terms of game performance i doubt anything at all.

Funny conversation as i am changing from a I7/8GB/250 SSD HD - laptop to a Gaming machine that i will be building this week.

My gaming machine build:

Intel i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad Core Processor

MSI Z270M Mortor Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Be Quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.1 CFM CPU cooler (RED FANS led looks like a ship superstructure)

WD Blue 500GB 2.5 SSD

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 FTW+ GAMING ACX 3.0 3GB Video Card

G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133 Quad Channel [Ripjaws4] F4-2133C15Q-16GRR Desktop Memory

ASUS DRW-24D5MT 24x Internal DVD Burner

Corsair Carbide AIR 240 Mini Cube Case - Black - Cc Ww‎

Corsair CS550M Modular 80 Plus Gold Power Supply

yes its just a starter build but i think it should be fun.

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

WIth the samsung if you use the inbuilt image copy of the drives, be aware it fills up the temp partition to 98 percent, i had to ghost a new partition as windows 10 needed more than a few MB in it.

whaaaat should i just get some other software then?

84 posts
1,414 battles

whaaaat should i just get some other software then?

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

This will allow you to clone your boot drive to the SSD from mech HDD. Read the forum there to check specifics but it will make your upgrade easy. Recently upgraded my desktop from 2.5" SSD to M.2 NVMe PM961 which needed correct formatting for UEFI and a few settings within the BIOS. YMMV with regard to boot and other loading times etc because of your chipset and hardware.

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

okay here is what I have been seeing after upgrading:

hella lot faster map loading times

Ships rendering instantly instead of taking like 3 seconds to even appear (hooray faster DD killing with radar)

and that's basically it for wows. Also less glitchy sounds when brawling since so much audio files were loading

Beta Tester
120 posts
4,246 battles

I have a 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, and it really loads into the maps fast, usually have 30-40 seconds before the battle starts. And it did not cost me a grand.. 

181 posts
4,257 battles

The best benefit you'll get is the longevity. Lifespan of conventional HDDs are just a stroke of luck. Moreover SSDs can sustain a lot more torture like repeated formatting. When you mod your games to n times its original installation size, the loading/storing of the game files to and from the memory while playing is another torture for conventional HDDs and can cause them to physically crash like it happened with the 1tb seagate flagship model I had earlier. These aren't a headache at all for SSDs. As far as performance I think you've already figured it out.

Edited by Aniket_Sengupta

85 posts

SSD will increase your load time and how your OS performs will be improved.

In terms of game performance i doubt anything at all.

Funny conversation as i am changing from a I7/8GB/250 SSD HD - laptop to a Gaming machine that i will be building this week.

My gaming machine build:

Intel i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad Core Processor

MSI Z270M Mortor Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Be Quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.1 CFM CPU cooler (RED FANS led looks like a ship superstructure)

WD Blue 500GB 2.5 SSD

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 FTW+ GAMING ACX 3.0 3GB Video Card

G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133 Quad Channel [Ripjaws4] F4-2133C15Q-16GRR Desktop Memory

ASUS DRW-24D5MT 24x Internal DVD Burner

Corsair Carbide AIR 240 Mini Cube Case - Black - Cc Ww‎

Corsair CS550M Modular 80 Plus Gold Power Supply

yes its just a starter build but i think it should be fun.

I've just upgraded my old laptop which had performance issues to Alienware , hope it does the job testing it tonight.

Display Size (Inches) - 17.3

Resolution (Pixels) - 1920 x 1080

Screen Resolution - Full HD

Display Type - IPS Anti-Glare 300-nits Display

Processor Type - Intel Core i7

Processor Model Number - 7700HQ

Processor Cores - Quad Core

Processor Memory Cache - 6MB

Processor Clock Speed (GHz) - 2.8

Processor Max. Clock Speed (GHz) - 3.8

RAM (GB) - 16.0

HDD Storage - 1TB

SSD Storage - 256GB

Total Storage - 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD

Graphics Processor - NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060

Graphics Memory - 6GB DDR5

HDMI Inputs - 1

USB 3.0 Ports - 2

Thunderbolt 3.0 Ports - 1

Webcam - True

Bluetooth - v4.1

Wi-Fi - 802.11 ac

Operating System - Windows 10

89 posts
6,458 battles

I have i5-3.0 cpu -16 gig Ram 500gig Wd hardrive running in AHCI & AMD Radeon HD 5700 1 gig video card with windows 7 64 bit & my load times are 50 to 30 sec in map before start & running Resolution1920 x 1080 Full HD no Lag or Slow starts. If you set up your SDD hard drive right with not a lot of stuff loading or running in the back ground it should run fine. If you are going to run a game that ask a lot from your laptop turn off back ground programs, it`s not the SDD hard drive that`s slow it`s the program`s running in the back ground. I hope this help in any way.