You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_Foch_

I saw the "Hood"

57 comments in this topic

346 posts

Just saw rumours that it might be available via campaign, like graf spee. IEarlGrey mentioned that in one of his latest videos. 

YAY!!!

Although I would cry if it was worse than ARP takao mission

[BRU]
279 posts
2,079 battles

YAY!!!

Although I would cry if it was worse than ARP takao mission

I would expect it to be as hard or more difficult than the ARP Takao missions because:

1. It's a famous ship and plus, a UK BB--something people have been asking for a long time.
  2. It's a premium ship--you can train UK BB captains and earn extra credits unlike the ARP Takao.

Video Contributor
2,264 posts
10,789 battles

Takao? Just like Atago without premium ship 

Hood is better farm credit than Takao

Ddi you see spilor main page World of Warships yet? It might be campaign same Shinonome 

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,971 battles

Apparently, Hood is pretty terrible.

Worse Krupp than Warspite on her guns.

Massive turning radius.

Slow acceleration/stopping time

Poor AA

Bad turret traverse (Better than Warspite, but Warspite can turn on a dime, Hood cannot)

Massive highly flammable superstructure

17km gun range, with NO spotting plane

Doesn't have Warspite Damage Control or Repair Party

The pros would be.... good HP pool....  the end.

346 posts

Just had 2 Kaga's in my last match as well.

Yes I had a Kaga appear in a match too and I also found out USN CVs really need a load out buff before they release Kaga especially High tier CVs that still have 1/1/1 as balanced load out  *Cough* *Cough* Ranger *Cough* *Cough* Lexington

346 posts

Apparently, Hood is pretty terrible.

Worse Krupp than Warspite on her guns.

Massive turning radius.

Slow acceleration/stopping time

Poor AA

Bad turret traverse (Better than Warspite, but Warspite can turn on a dime, Hood cannot)

Massive highly flammable superstructure

17km gun range, with NO spotting plane

Doesn't have Warspite Damage Control or Repair Party

The pros would be.... good HP pool....  the end.

does she get her Torps ?

1,068 posts
3,847 battles

For those interested in actually paying for a ship that may die faster than a broadside Nurnberg,LittleWhiteMouse on the NA forums just did first impressions review on the Hood:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/123082-first-impressions-hms-hood-preview/

The following is a PREVIEW of the upcoming release of HMS Hood, a ship provided to me by Wargaming. This is how the ship appeared in the testing period up to and including the publish date of April 20th, 2017. The statistics and performance discussed here are still being evaluated by Wargaming's developers and do not necessarily represent how the ship will appear when released.

The ship, not the article.  Though let's go with the article too.  This way I can hide any typos behind a jpeg.

I've been looking forward to and simultaneously dreading the inclusion of Royal Navy Battleships into World of Warships.  I can't wait to play them.  And, because of this anticipation,if they were not good, my enjoyment of the game would plummet.  HMS Warspite was such a tease when she was released back in the Spring of 2015 and it's been two long years of quiet anxiety waiting on the future of the battleship line.  Well, they're coming.  And the first herald of their release is the Mighty Hood.

I'm not going to go into heavy detail in this preview.  Hood is still in the testing phase and, while I could spend hours upon hours of testing minutia about her performance, any conclusions I might reach based on such findings might prove moot with a buff or a nerf that comes later.  Instead, I'm following the same format as my preview for the French Cruisers.  Here's how this works:

1.  I equip the ship in my port blind without looking at any of the ship statistics.  I equip a generic set of modules.  In this case, I took Main Armaments Modification 1, Aiming Systems Mod 1, Damage Control Mod 1, Steering Gears Mod 2.
  2. For Captain skills, I normally take out a 10pt Captain, but in this case, I totally cheated and grabbed my Warspite commander, Admiral Archibald "Ducklips" Shaw.  He's a 19pt Captain with Priority Target, Preventative Maintenance, Expert Marksman, Adrenaline Rush, Basics of Survivability, Basic Fire Training, Superintendent and Advanced Fire Training.
  3. There were no consumable options to choose from so that made it easy.
  4. I slapped on a Corgi flag and off we went.

This means that I'm jumping into a game without a real sense of what she can or cannot do.  We'll look at my initial impressions and then see how they stand up to the statistics of the ship.

Positive Perceptions

• My god is she fast.  32 knots!  I could outpace friendly cruisers if I wasn't careful (which I wasn't!).
  • Her handling isn't terrible.  Wait, how is that a good perception?  Does something merely have to be not-awful for me to think it's good?  Seriously, though, her turn rate (not her turning circle or rudder shift, but the time it takes her to complete a turn) is really short grace of her high speed.  She wiggles good.
  • Good secondary range.
  • Her guns feel very comfortable.  They have nice dispersion with good grouping -- very similar to Warspite.
  • Her gun handling is also nice.  Granted, I had Expert Marksman accelerating their rotation rate, but it was pretty good.

Negative Perceptions
  • I was disappointed with her premium camouflage.  Like Prinz Eugen's first camouflage we had during testing, all it appears to do is remove the rust.  Maybe something else will be coming later?  I dunno.
  • Her range is blah.  She reach out to 17.6km with her guns which might be alright if she had access to a spotter aircraft for a temporary boost when needed ... which she doesn't.
  • Her AA power isn't good.  Defensive Fire is nice and all, but she doesn't shoot down much.
  • She's visible from space.  Without Concealment Expert, her surface detection is huge.
  • She makes for a huge target for enemies to pepper with HE.
  • Her secondaries are like Dunkerque's secondaries -- all pointing the wrong way.
  • It's no surprise either that she feels under-gunned. 
  • Her armour feels soft.  I could bounce stuff when angled, but yeah, this ain't no German Battleship.

So I was pleasantly surprised with Hood's gun handling.  I think that deserves special mention right from the word go.  I was dreading another 72s for 180º turn like on Warspite but that wasn't the case here.  While not quite German with their rotation speed, they at least didn't feel as sluggish as on some of the early American Battleships.  Her firing angles aren't bad -- certainly better than I was expecting for such a long ship.  A cursory glance shows a 300º forward firing angle on one rear turret and a 296º forward firing angle on the other.  I didn't bother to check the rear arcs yet on her front two guns, but hey, at least she doesn't have to swing out to 35º to fire.  Hooray!

Her gun range was an expected disappointment but I didn't factor in what it would be like to not have a float-plane.  So HMS Hood has the same problem as Bayern does -- mediocre range and no way to temporarily boost it.  This really hurts in some of the larger maps which made me have a bit of a sad.  The guns themselves also disappointed me with their 30 second reload.  I was hoping for 28 seconds, or (dare a girl dream?) 26 seconds.  I suppose it's early yet in the development cycle to be expecting any form of artificial DPM boosts.

I had hoped that maybe secondaries or torpedoes would prop up lack in offensive power but the former are positioned poorly to do much good in an offensive brawl despite their good range and the latter are non existent.  HMS Hood has no better DPM than Warspite and that's not a ship I would ever say is managing "great" damage numbers.  At best, Hood might end up being like Dunkerque -- undergunned but punching harder than what her armament might otherwise suggest.  I don't think that will be the case though.

Special mention should be made towards her penetration.  Well, they feel just like Warspite's too.  Sometimes they hit like mac-trucks.  And then there will be those other times ... like being unable to citadel a Konigsberg at 11km because the shells keep overpenetrating.  Or watching a perfect broadside against a New Mexico 16km away all shatter against his armoured belt.  Sigh!

Main Armament Facts and Figures
  • HMS Hood's turret rotation is, in fact, as bad as some of the early American Battleships.  It sits at 60s for 180º rotation, or a mere 3º per second.  Right out the gates, I'm as wrong as wrong can be. (Hooray!)
  • Hood's guns aren't quite identical to Warspite's.  Her shells are half a km/s slower (yes, really).  They share the same great linear dispersion as Warspite's which is better than American, German, French or Russian Battleships but nowhere close to Japanese Battleships.  I'm trying to dig up penetration data but it's early yet.
  • DPM wise, Hood sits above Gneisenau but below Scharnhorst, Colorado and Nagato.  No surprises there.  Something's got to be on the low end to average things out -- may as well be Hood, I guess.
  • Hood has pretty awful secondaries for brawling, all told.  She has fourteen 102mm guns in seven turrets.  This gives her a maximum broadside of eight guns to one side but only four can fire forward.

Agility Feels

I was very pleasantly surprised with how HMS Hood handled.  I sucked in my breath when I first put her rudder hard over to bug out of a dangerous situation and I was shocked at how quickly she lunged through the turn I asked of her.  Now, this wasn't Warspite-fast.  Her turning circle is pretty big (I think).  But at least it didn't feel sluggish.  About the only bad thing is that her guns can't make up ground in a turn, but that's not unusual for Battleships.  

One of the best parts about HMS Hood is her speed.  She is fast.  32.0 knots?  Absolutely beautiful.  She can lift her skirts and sprint.  It's great for closing the distance and pursuing enemy ships.  I easily ran down an enemy Nagato and charged a Galissonnière that thought it could zigzag to fire all of its guns while I was giving chase.  This does mean that if your allies are shy on their throttle, you'll outpace everyone and quickly find yourself alone.  

Agility Facts and Figures
  • HMS Hood has a 32.0 knot top speed -- this is one of the fastest Battleships in the game right now.
  • Her turning circle is enormous at 910m and she has a horrible 15.8s rudder shift time.
  • It takes HMS Hood 25.6s to turn 90º.  Her maximum rotation speed is approximately 4.1º per second. With these numbers, she will out turn her turrets easily.  With Expert Marksman, she will be able to hold her guns on target through the initial leg of a turn only to lose her tracking as her rudder comes hard over.
  • For comparison's sake, Alabama turns 0.4º per second faster for the first 90º and 0.1º per second faster at maximum rotation rate.

Other Stuff Feels
The biggest talk is going to be about HMS Hood's Defensive Fire consumable.  Yes, she has one.  No, it's not particularly good.  Well, lemme be clear -- being able to disrupt enemy aircraft making attack runs is awesome in a battleship.  It's just too bad she doesn't have the AA teeth to back it up.  I'm not even quite sure of HMS Hood's anti-aircraft range if I'm perfectly honest.  I'm guessing 5.0km given her 102mm dual purpose secondaries which should have bumped up to 6.0km with Admiral "Ducklips" Shaw's contributing skill boosts.  I only shot down a handful of planes in my test games and really only when they started getting close.

So let's talk about armour.  I got hit in the citadel a few times.  I didn't detonate though.  Each citadel hit, I fully deserved.  It's not like I got smacked through the bows or anything.  Her armour held up alright when I angled.  HMS Hood is perfectly capable of bullying 356mm armed battleships as one might expect.  I dunno if her bow can be overmatched by 380mm+.  I'm going to guess that it could, though I'm struggling to think of any examples during my quick play-test where that was relevant.

Her Repair Party and Damage Control Party were exactly as expected.  No, they're not the Warspite's amazaballs versions.

HMS Hood is huge, though.  I'm surprised at how well she dodges fish (maybe I got lucky?).  Her surface detection range is enormous. Being the new ship and begin spotted so early because of a forward position just meant that my Priority Target indicator quickly cycled up to 5+ ships all taking pot shots at the new boat.  Whee.  I quickly learned not to lead the charge, lemme tell you.

Other Stuff Facts and Figures
  •  Hood's AA guns are divided into four ranges:  5.0km / 2.5km / 1.5km / 1.2km, with her 102mm dual purpose guns, 40mm pom poms, her AA rockets and finally her 12.7mm machine guns.  Their AA values are 66/59/50/8 which is very much on the low side for tier 7 and downright catastrophic once you factor in their range too.  What's interesting is that her rockets, with 178mm diameter, would count with the Manual Targeting for AA Guns.  It's a shame she has such little reach.  Defensive Fire makes her AA guns adequate for her tier, though, let it never be said that it doesn't.
  • For once, Wargaming has modeled a battleship that rides nice and low in the water!  Can anyone check and see if it's historically accurate?  I'm kinda excited about this.
  • Her armour profile is very similar to Warspite's (which makes a whole lot of senses).  Overall, it looks quite trollish in places, especially against HE.  She's got 51mm of deck armour which covers everything from her #1 to her #4 turrets.  All of her hull is also at least 127mm thick.  It's only her fore and aft ends that are 25mm which is going to be a real pain for HE slinging ships which is nice to see.
  • For citadel protection, she's much better protected than I thought she would be.  She has 305mm of belt armour.  Her citadel is completely submerged.  She has a 51mm angled pseudo-turtleback with a 102mm horizontal plate on top of that.  So in theory, up close she should be a little more challenging to citadel but shots at range should give her trouble.
  • HMS Hood's Repair Party is normal, healing 0.5% of her health every second for 28s.  This is standard for most Battleships.  She does have a lot of hit points (67,700) so this can end up seeming like a lot of health.
  • Her Damage Control Party is identical to that found on French, German and Russian Battleships.  This has a 15s immunity period and a 120s reset timer for the standard version.
  • Hood is visible on the surface at 16.2km which better than Nagato or Colorado.  Looks like someone was just being a whiner.

Premature Conclusions

Well, she's not broken.  I wouldn't say she's good, but she's not broken.  Battleships are presently defined by two traits:  How tough they are and how good they are at putting out damage.  Hood isn't especially tough and she doesn't do damage very well.  What she does have is speed, though.  Like Scharnhorst and Dunkerque, maybe she's meant to pick on cruisers primarily?  I dunno if that would even go in a design brief at Wargaming.  It's hard to argue that her speed isn't amazing. Speed fixes a lot of problems with some ships (such as turning ability). I could tell from where shell fall landed around my stern that people weren't expecting her to move so fast. Players will learn to give her as much lead as they might a Bismarck, Scharnhorst or Gneisenau.

I didn't have any phenomenal games in HMS Hood.  I had a couple of bad ones -- one of which was hilariously predicated by my entire team huddling around my ship.  Maybe they thought I was supposed to lead them to victory?  Or maybe they just all wanted a closer look.  I'm trying not to put too much stock in the one-off matches.

The big issue I foresee with this ship is her lack of teeth.  In terms of offensive strength, her closest comparison is Nagato with 189,000 maximum AP DPM versus Hood's 182,400.  While this looks really close, keep in mind that doesn't account for issues of range (Nagato has better) and penetration (again, Nagato has better).

So, HMS Hood is pretty to look at and she handles alright, but she's nothing special at the moment.  She doesn't have Nagato's range or hitting power (but she is faster).  She doesn't have Colorado's DPM and armour (but she is faster). And, HMS Hood doesn't have the armour and torpedoes of the Scharnhorst-sisters (but she has better alpha strike with her guns). I'll keep a close eye on her development cycle.  The Supertesters have just gotten access to her on the live servers too, so we'll see what the results of their testing tells Wargaming about this beautiful (if meh) ship.

Angry YouTuber Assessment:  Mehbote

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,971 battles

The only reason you'd pay money to get Hood instead of Scharnhorst, is because you're rich or love the look of the Hood.

My wallet has snapped shut since seeing her performance, I'll probably pick up Horizon Zero Dawn instead because I hear that's fun.

Beta Tester
142 posts
2,615 battles

Not a very appetizing impression of the ship so far.

I definitely think the Hood will be buffed before sale just like the Duca D'aosta. She's not terrible, but she's clearly not desirable enough to warrant a buy recommendation from CCs in her current configuration. 

Edited by Darkshaunz