You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_PanzerKeil_

What's the hull classification symbol for Cruisers?

22 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
86 posts
208 battles

And just cruisers in general? Not any specific like CL, CA, CLT.

DD, BB, CV are easy enough, but I just realized, I just called a cruiser CL when I'm not even sure if it's light or heavy.

CR perhaps? XD

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

CC or only C (pre-1930)

That for cruiser

CL is for those that lower fire power than a CA but better at AAW or torping and sometimes ASW

CA have greater fire power than CL and have better AA machine gun placed but for japan, they have worse armor and AA warfare, this weaknesses pay off with barage ability and Torpedoes armed unlike other nation

And there is BC(BattleCruiser) also called cruiser killer

The name is not just for show, its speed and heavy armaments(sometimes equal to a BB, good example: Amagi class Battlecruiser) able to crush enemy Cruiser easily, but has less armor and secondary armaments from battleship

There is another ship class that i am not sure where ever it is a cruiser or a battleship

Its called Panzerschiffe PS(armoured Ship)

A form of heavily armed cruiser (British call it Pocket Battleship) created by Reichsmarine (German Imperial Navy)

Edited by Harpoon01

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

Isn't Pocket Battleship the same as a Battlecruiser. A ship with Cruiser speed (slightly better armor) but with BB tier guns.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

In historical sense, tier 1 Katori up to tier 4 Kuma are Light Cruiser (CL). And Tier 6 Aoba to tier 10 are Heavy Cruisers (CA).

Dev team probably aware of this and arguing & debating on the matter.

P.S.: Although we probably stick to CC as Harpoon mentioned to be safe.

Edited by Mingfang47

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Isn't Pocket Battleship the same as a Battlecruiser. A ship with Cruiser speed (slightly better armor) but with BB tier guns.

Their cruise speed are different, BC slightly faster than PS, and PS size is about those CA

Alpha Tester
19 posts
2,046 battles

CC are Battlecruisers ( and later Comand Ship ) hull classification symbol, Cruiser in general is C.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

there are only 4 designations in the game

CV - aircraft  carriers

BB - battleships

CA - Cruisers

DD - Destroyers

All the other designators do not apply, so why you would try to use them is beyond me.

Alpha Tester
19 posts
2,046 battles

there are only 4 designations in the game

CV - aircraft  carriers

BB - battleships

CA - Cruisers

DD - Destroyers

All the other designators do not apply, so why you would try to use them is beyond me.

because they don't, in game CA have more HP and gun than C and CL but slower.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

because they don't, in game CA have more HP and gun than C and CL but slower.

still don't apply to the game. You can call them XXX if you want, still don't make a difference.

As soon as you start to call them by their designations, you cause confusion to those who have never heard of the other designators.

And for information, their are over 4500 designations just for Frigate size vessel and above, would you like to have all of them in the game?

Beta Tester
15 posts
476 battles

still don't apply to the game. You can call them XXX if you want, still don't make a difference.

As soon as you start to call them by their designations, you cause confusion to those who have never heard of the other designators.

And for information, their are over 4500 designations just for Frigate size vessel and above, would you like to have all of them in the game?

Don't overexaggerate it. also over simplification can cause confusion too.

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

Except the in game distinctions arent even code designations, its just the class name (battleship, cruiser, whatever). So even calling them CL, CV, etc. will probably wind up confusing people. Better we sort out a shorthand now and get it commonly accepted rather than ignore the problem. Personally, I just tend to call them CLs, as the CAs are only found on tier 2 and 3 in the current setup.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Most of the older alpha testers have pretty much settled on:

DD - destroyer

BB - battleship

CV - aircraft carrier

CL - light cruisers (IJN)

CA - AA cruisers (USN)

So that's what you will see them use - you can try and change their minds and habits but I doubt you'll have much success.

Edited by dead_man_walking

Super Tester
1,677 posts

I DID put some random terms and definitions in here though but I think it was lost.

http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/2133-naval-terms-and-slangs/page__p__24716#entry24716

since the ships are pretty much generalized, the whole BB, CC, DD and CV would apply.

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
820 posts
932 battles

I just call them moving metalboxes that shoots and needs to be shot. Works for me.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

I just call them moving metalboxes that shoots and needs to be shot. Works for me.

"look, battleships! battleships! our enemies hide in metal bawkses! the cowards, the fools! we... should take away their metal bawkses..."

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

That's because after all your chemo and radiation therapy that's all they all look like ;)

Alpha Tester
66 posts
21 battles

"look, battleships! battleships! our enemies hide in metal bawkses! the cowards, the fools! we... should take away their metal bawkses..."

K, for Kroozer.

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,096 battles

General rule of thumb,

DD - destroyer

CA/CL - the entire cruiser line including tiers 1 - 4 light cruisers

CV - the entire carrier line including the 2 tier 4, 5, 6 light carriers

BB - the entire battleship line inclusive of the battlecruisers

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles