Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
seiji09

RELOAD TIMER and PENETRATION INDICATOR for in-game Crosshair

9 comments in this topic

[SGC]
197 posts
10,285 battles

Whether you're zoomed out or in binocular mode I humbly suggest we include a reload timer and penetration indicator similar to the one implemented in WoT's reticule:

RELOAD TIMER

Details:

1. Located somewhere on the right hand side, below the horizon line of the crosshair (so as not to interfere w the sight lines);
  2. Font has different colors depending on status. Example:
    1. Red while guns are reloading;
    2. Green when fully loaded
  3. When fully loaded, number indicates total reload time;
  4. Since warships usually have several guns, the timers have up to three or more "layers"
    1. Once a gun is fired, a faded red countdown timer will be found below main timer, indicating the no. of seconds left before it can be fired;
    2. More guns fired would mean more timers below main timer, but only up to the three most recent countdown timers will be shown and faded so as not to clutter the UI;
    3. Main timer indicates reload time of guns not yet fired; however, when all guns have been fired, main timer reveals countdown of soonest possible gun that can be fired (especially useful for cruisers and battleships);
  5. OPTIONAL: Timers indicate reload time of only the guns that can be fired in a certain angle/arc, especially useful for implementation of detail 4.3.
  6. Feature can be implemented solely for guns, but may also be implemented for torpedoes;
    1. e.g. have 2 timers; one located beside the other; timer of weapon type is highlighted when in use

Benefits:

1. It's more convenient for players since the number is located near to the crosshair and provides real-time information;
  2. Especially useful for captains trained with Adrenaline Rush, since timers will also change real-time in accordance to the reload time reduction as per the skill.

Disadvantages:

1. May clutter UI; but with font size and color adjustments this issue maybe mitigated;
  2. May cause an issue with redundancy, since existing UI have reload timers located at the bottom of the screen.
    1. However, existing reload timers don't reveal total reload time unless you hover your mouse over it. Besides, the same feature has long since been implemented in WoT and works quite well. Just make some minor adjustments due to having multiple guns/torp tubes and the issue should be resolved.

-o-

PENETRATION INDICATOR

Details:

1. The center arrow/crosshair ^ changes color in accordance to penetration chance of shells when aimed at certain areas of warships at certain distances;
    1. White (default color): when not locked onto enemy ships or aimed at allied ships
    2. Red: Shells cannot penetrate
    3. Yellow: Shells have 50% chance of penetration
    4. Green: Shells can penetrate (if it hits, better pray to RNGesus lel)
  2. Color MAY change when aiming at various distances, since distance affects shell penetration value.
  3. Only affects guns, since torps don't need the system

Benefits:

1. Provides more information to captains when decision making on when and where to fire their guns. Captains may aim directly at the ship first, look for soft spots to pen w their shells, and then find the appropriate lead time to hit said areas.
  2. Aids in teaching newer players in improving their gunnery skills; that is, to determine which shell type is most effective against which ship types, areas to aim for, and in which distances to they have to engage for maximizing their damage potential.

Disadvantages:

1. Redundancy in part of experienced players;
  2. It will be challenging to determine penetration chances against deck armor, except when using long-range ships, guns w high trajectory, or using spotter planes.
  3. Chances of being largely unused since experienced players usually start calculating lead time the moment they lock onto enemy ships
Edited by seiji09

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,859 battles

RELOAD TIMER

Might be a good idea as an optional crosshair choices. The more experienced players who don't want cluttering can choose to opt out of this feature.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

If you turn your ui settings on, reload timer is down the bottom of the screen, and the aim rectile also shows reload by filling the circle

[SGC]
197 posts
10,285 battles

If you turn your ui settings on, reload timer is down the bottom of the screen, and the aim rectile also shows reload by filling the circle

I already know that, hahaha, I even have those settings turned on in the game. I've stated that in the Disadvantages section of the Reload Timer XD

But the downside of the existing timer is that:

1. You won't know the exact reload time of your guns unless you hover your mouse over the shells;
  2. The "stated" reload time DOES NOT actually change in accordance to the reload buff when you have equipped Adrenaline Rush
  • example: Reload time stated is still 6 seconds even though it's already boosted to 5.4 seconds when you're down to 50% HP in the Tenryu/Kuma

I'm suggesting a reload timer located near the crosshair similar to the one equipped in WoT's reticle. However, since there are many guns on a warship it only reveals up to the three most recent guns fired, and they are faded/not highlighted to minimize interference (except for the main timer which shows reload time of guns not yet fired or of the soonest possible gun you can fire once all guns have been fired). The value also changes in real-time when your captain has been trained with Adrenaline Rush to give you a better idea of your exact reload time in relation to HP lost.

Might be a good idea as an optional crosshair choices. The more experienced players who don't want cluttering can choose to opt out of this feature.

Yeah, that's a good idea. It could also address the redundancy issue when it comes to more experienced players.

It could also depend on the ship type you're using. You may not really need it when using DDs since you're constantly firing shells anyway, so it may be more beneficial to BB and CA/CL captains because of their relatively longer reload times.

Edited by seiji09

Video Contributor
2,265 posts
10,789 battles

Penetration parameter i think impossible add into a client it too cheat, it same mod will tell about angle of warships 

[SGC]
197 posts
10,285 battles

Penetration parameter i think impossible add into a client it too cheat, it same mod will tell about angle of warships

But we have this in World of Tanks! Sides, it provides you more info before you make a decision on when and where to fire, and it's no longer a cheat if everyone has access to the feature.

Spotter planes countered the high angle view mod, and we even got the armor viewer now. A penetration indicator won't really make things turn for the worse.

And there's ANOTHER factor: Dispersion

Shells won't ever land exactly where you aim. The indicator only gives you the idea which areas are most viable to damage, but it doesn't mean it'll hit exactly where you want it.

You will still have to determine gun elevation and lead time on your own.

PS: AAAAAAND I am sure as heck a significant percentage of the player base will ignore the indications anyway - -

If there are WoT players who insist on firing HE shells because of their higher Alpha dmg compared to AP despite the existence of the in-game penetration indicator, I think it'll be the same with WoWs as well.

Edited by seiji09

Video Contributor
2,265 posts
10,789 battles

But we have this in World of Tanks! Sides, it provides you more info before you make a decision on when and where to fire, and it's no longer a cheat if everyone has access to the feature.

Spotter planes countered the high angle view mod, and we even got the armor viewer now. A penetration indicator won't really make things turn for the worse.

And there's ANOTHER factor: Dispersion

Shells won't ever land exactly where you aim. The indicator only gives you the idea which areas are most viable to damage, but it doesn't mean it'll hit exactly where you want it.

You will still have to determine gun elevation and lead time on your own.

If parameter show in port is ok if during battle it cheat

[SGC]
197 posts
10,285 battles

If parameter show in port is ok if during battle it cheat

It's not cheating if everybody has access to it.

And it MAY even teach players in improving their gunnery skills by knowing when and where to shoot (well, those who are willing to exert the effort, anyway).

Think about it: wouldn't you want a team whose players actually evade shots, hide in obstacles and even angle, because they have finally figured out through the indicator that going broadside would mean there's a greater chance for the crosshairs of the enemy team to become green and get blasted?

Edited by seiji09

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

IRT the reload timer you're suggesting, whilst I can understand what you're trying to get at but it's a bit unnecessary in my opinion. Is is really that hard at the start of the match in the countdown or even during the initial deployment stage to check your reload times and then in match  to spend 0.5 - 1 second to look at your gun/torp status indicators? Not to mention the fact that there is the reload sound that is heard when the each turret has reloaded. I'm not trying to say your idea is bad, rather I'm questioning actions that could be taken in a total of 2sec. At this stage it may be a better as a mod that people can choose to load if they want, and if successful, it is not unheard of WG implementing it in game but they need the evidence first I would imagine.

Sign in to follow this