You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ILLBBACK2604

Is the IJN Yamato worth it?

22 comments in this topic

85 posts

I'm slowly grinding towards the IJN Yamato, currently nearing Amagi ,(have been playing mainly Tirpitz which I find brutal against most BB's including IX's and X's those torp's add a second layer) but I've noticed in few of the matches the Yamato is getting taken out by group attacks and attracts a lot of attention from Opposition ships from DD's to BB's, unless you're playing in a team that understands that the Yamato needs close in support she doesn't appear to survive that well. Any thoughts, particular those peeps who have it in their arsenal.

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,494 battles

Yamato is a priority target because her guns are immensely powerful (due to her unique overmatch capability) and excruciatingly accurate (2.1 Sigma). So she is rightly feared by her enemies and loved resented by her potato teammates. With her great power comes great responsibility...

294 posts
2,997 battles

If you talk about the ship itself, then yes it is definitely worth it. I don't have it myself but I am nearing Amagi too. But if you talk about high tier meta on the Asia server... yea well it is 80% camping type games with ships that are agile, accurate and reach far enough to hit your big sized Yamato ever 11 seconds. You on the other hand have a big ass triplet set of triple guns that fire back every 20 seconds or so and only 2 of them are useful if you don't want to give broadside and keep your best armor forward. So yea it is a toss up on this one. If you end up with a potato team, prepare for a big ass bill.

2,222 posts
13,723 battles

If you really want to know then you should get on the public tests when they are available and try it for yourself. I tried Yamato last test and loved it.

[LNA]
1,666 posts
10,474 battles

Lol cit pen with gud enough acuraccy is totally worth it, beside that , it has a well armored conventional layout armoring. Anything else is totally meh to trash though.

Love crapping on potato yolo yammy who dream of invincible while murmuring poi with my cv

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

Love all these commenters running their mouth telling people the yamato is worth it but don't own one themselves. 

do you?

i have att 3 T10 BBs, IMHO the yamato is the weakest one of them all, not because her guns are bad, quite the opposite, they are some of the best in the game, but her problem is survival, she takes a LOT of HE damage and since she's so slow and sluggish and dont have the KM BB's armor to resist 203 HE shells, it's almost impossible to reposition if you overextend, and her frontal armor has a weakness under the 3rd turret which makes angletanking worthless against BB captions who knows how to aim at that spot.

that being said, her guns are quite good when dealing with high tier CAs and BBs which have excellent armor(zao, hindenburg, montana), because they almost ALWAYS do damage with normal penns, as opposed to montana's guns which are better at scoring citadels but will often bounce off a angled ships(read: zao)

i suggest you play some low tier USN BBs, they have a similar feel to them in terms of play-style before you decide

note: shittest armor of all the T10s, best rudder shift radius, but really bad turing speed, and turrets feel sticky as a "special" magazine of a 30 yr old virgin

Edited by drakon233

1,386 posts
8,244 battles

do you?

i have att 3 T10 BBs, IMHO the yamato is the weakest one of them all, not because her guns are bad, quite the opposite, they are some of the best in the game, but her problem is survival, she takes a LOT of HE damage and since she's so slow and sluggish and dont have the KM BB's armor to resist 203 HE shells, it's almost impossible to reposition if you overextend, and her frontal armor has a weakness under the 3rd turret which makes angletanking worthless against BB captions who knows how to aim at that spot.

that being said, her guns are quite good when dealing with high tier CAs and BBs which have excellent armor(zao, hindenburg, montana), because they almost ALWAYS do damage with normal penns, as opposed to montana's guns which are better at scoring citadels but will often bounce off a angled ships(read: zao)

i suggest you play some low tier USN BBs, they have a similar feel to them in terms of play-style before you decide

note: shittest armor of all the T10s, best rudder shift radius, but really bad turing speed, and turrets feel sticky as a "special" magazine of a 30 yr old virgin

Not the X, but the A or B. Drakon did a typo.

Here are the detailed explanation.

The armor box of Yamato is octagon shaped, and the angled platings connecting the front bulkhead and the main belt is the weak point in-game. An experienced BB player will know to target there when Yamato is angling for full salvo at below 10km range.(IDK if this trick works above 10km, as I haven't played high tier BBs for months) Even the German 406mm, known as the softest gun in T10, can get a citadel off an angled Yamato this way.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

Not the X, but the A or B. Drakon did a typo.

Here are the detailed explanation.

The armor box of Yamato is octagon shaped, and the angled platings connecting the front bulkhead and the main belt is the weak point in-game. An experienced BB player will know to target there when Yamato is angling for full salvo at below 10km range.(IDK if this trick works above 10km, as I haven't played high tier BBs for months) Even the German 406mm, known as the softest gun in T10, can get a citadel off an angled Yamato this way.

i got one with a tirpitz once at 13km, but this is hard to do at longer ranges as the shells will likely bounce off the deck

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

Meh......

Yamato is best compared with Warspite

not because they both have lolpen accurate gun at their tier, but because both ship gun traverse speed is as slow as snail :trollface:

118 posts
1,833 battles

I don't have the Yamato, but I do know for a fact that her casemate armor can be penetrated by other battleships and even cruisers at close range.

Also,playing in a division is recommended if you are playing this ship

Video Contributor
2,266 posts
10,789 battles

I build fireproof for Yamato :trollface:

Good armor deck is stronk AA who care secondary guns pls play German line :trollface: ~34sec can burn me but my repair party is ~80sec with Flag+HA+JOAT+BoS+FP+upgrades

No idea because I always tank front line

Main guns is the best and big gun

1,068 posts
3,847 battles

Can't even use the Wave Motion Gun on the Yamato in WoWS.

I wish wargaming would stop nerfing historical features of ships.

+1  I will fee XP to the Yamato one day...but not until they give me WMG!  :D

Whats that Altanta,you want to hide behind island and HE spam me?I make island disappear: