VonSheere

Torpedo swarms

15 comments in this topic

3 posts
649 battles

Hi Everybody, I am quite new here and I would like to ask WTF is going on with these torpedoes? I seem to be sunk within the first minute of each battle my multiple torpedoes from multiple directions and it is starting to get annoying. The torpedoes appear from nowhere from multiple directions making it impossible to avoid. It is certainly spoiling my enjoyment of the game. Has anyone else had this happen or am I just a very bad sailor? :o)

440 posts
3,379 battles

Maybe you fought against an experienced player who's in a DD, most cases where people die early because of torpedoes is because they overextended, sailed alone or went to the part of the map that's infested with DDs. You are still new so this is normal, but that doesn't mean you can't improve yourself on evading a set of torpedoes.

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

don't charge into the enemies, don't sail in a straight line, have situational awareness

also bring out the bingo card again *insert smug face*

25 posts
3,686 battles

Well for co-op mode, the bots like to rush straight for the base.

If you 'kite' backwards and keep a minimum range between you and the bots, not a single torpedo will have the range to hit you.

A good range to keep at would be 5km while travelling away from the target, for tiers 4 and below at least. (6km if you want to be safe)

Hope this helps.

3 posts
649 battles

Many thanks guys - I will try some of your suggestions, but I am not charging in or isolating myself. These torpedoes just seem to appear from nowhere - sometimes there hasn't even been any enemy vessels on the screen. Practise makes perfect I guess.

3 posts
649 battles

Nah - this is just rubbish. I have followed suggestions from fellow gamers, I have watched all the tutorials but I am still getting torpedoed from ghost ships in the first minute of each battle. Not very player friendly - I'm off to play something else instead that doesn't kill me within the first minute every time. Best wishes

1,484 posts

You have to do what i try to do...

Expect that there WILL be torpedos going where you want to go, so slow down & let the torpedos go first.

Its like trying to shoot a ship in smoke.. i say if they want to smoke, i just wait them out....

When you see a ship turn away, they have just launched  torpedos, so hit full reverse straight away & turn into them (not out) that way yoh have a huge chance of surviving.

These hints have been discovered through pain of over 5000 battles..

Ordrazz

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,959 battles

No player data found.

Troll account just to complain about DD's?

Also if you had done what other plays have said, you wouldn't have the issue. You are told when you are spotted so if you are spotted and can't see anyone around logic dictates a destroyer is around. Assume you are the target of torpedo attack, change speed and heading regularly and move towards allies or keep behind cruisers/destroyers.

But this was never about learning how to play the game, was it.

[CAZNA]
1 post
3,847 battles

One thing I've noticed with torps in mid tiers (MM T5-7) while driving 20-25knot BBs is that, often your friendly DDs are dead before you get into range or position and CA/CLs aren't really killing the other side's DD due to their steath and smoke. The only way I've found to tackle it in a BB, is to either 1) charge in and kill the DD which often means eating at least 2 torps (~about 1/3-1/2 of your hp) cos he/she launches them so close to you or 2) keep distance at around 8-10km, constantly switching between 3/4 and 1/2 speeds, change course from 1/2 starboard to 1/2 port (but keeping yourself angled against enemy BB fire), dodge incoming torps, wait for the smoke to dissipate, preload HE and shot him.

For CA/CL torps, they are much easier to anticipate. Apart from Furutaka and Aoba who have 10km torps (super easy to predict and you just have to slow down and change course every now and then), everyone else is around 4-6km, so just citadel them when you can with AP and never let them close the range. When they lose 1/2 of their HP in 1~2 salvo, they usually back off. 

For mid tier, if you see a torp wall, usually means you have overextended and ran into the main force. DDs and CA/CLs might be able to get out with their stealth and speed, but it's usually GG for a BB.

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,851 battles

You need to learn/practice how to torpedobeat watching Eurobeat/Yuro's video.

283 posts
3,565 battles

Would these "swarms" happen to appear above you? then they drop lots of torpedoes in line around you? that would be called an aircraft carrier and no its not impossible to dodge at tier 4/5, it's actually impossible easy so......................................... git gud mate, cheers

Regards Elmo

Edited by ellofiend

84 posts
1,414 battles

You need to git gud. 

More BS from Captain Soundbite.

VonSheere you have a "situational awareness" icon (which appears not far from centre screen) when you are spotted by the enemy.

IF you do not pay attention to the icons which appear on your HUD then you suffer the consequences, gaming these games takes knowledge and skill. Knowledge is gained from reading the rules and websites, skill is gained through watching youtube/twitch and using the knowledge you gain in practice.

Torpedoes are so much more visible now than at any time in the game's history. Can't stand the torps? Get out of the water.

Bye

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Reminder to all of the forum section you are posting within.

Newcomers is not for the usual banter - save that for the rest of the forums.

~dead_man_walking

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

OP, there is a small settings icon right next to minimap, enable last known position of enemy ships and their names there, along with your spotting range, max gun range, torpedo range etc. If you hit CTRLand+ the minimap will be increased in size. Make it at least bigger than 1/3rd of your screen height.

Now, whenever a ship is detected, you take a peek on the minimap, you can even press M every now and then. You cannot o much once you see the torps right next to your ship. You need to know who can torp you, their torp ranges, torp cool downs, predict the direction the torps might me coming from.

Situational awareness will save you from most torp hits. There will still be situation where you take a torp or two but that is fine. If you are playing a BB, alter your speed and course after every salvo. That will throw many DD players off the mark. Don't sail alone too much as that will lead to yolo charges by enemy DD. Low tier ships are not that great of quickly eliminating DDs.

Hope this helps.