You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Jin_Maq

Capping is complely unrealistic for naval warfare

114 comments in this topic

13 posts
355 battles

Not sure whos bright idea it was to include capping in a WORLD WAR II naval simulation. Seems everything about this game is built on realism, even down to the very small details on a ship, yet when it comes to actual combat, it always seems to break down into a hypo 3min game of "who caps wins" Never in the history of naval warfare was capping implemented. In land battles ... yes. Famous places like hill 60/70/609, Stalingrad train station, Normandy beachhead. Yeah, those places had to be capped and held to gain supremacy. So in games like Wot and CoH its perfectly understandable. But its vastly different when you have high ground positions and buildings of importance to hold. The ocean is completely the opposite, its flat, no highground, no one point is greater than another, there is no point in holding a certain square kilometer of ocean. Where was the cap point in the battle of Midway?  where was the cap point in the battle of Leyte gulf? XYZ coordinates were not used as areas to be held at all costs. Even in battles around the waters of Guadalcanal, iron-bottom sound, there was no capping, the objective was the entire island, the objective was the LAND MASS which a DD could not enter into, pop smoke and hide to win the battle, its ludicrous to imagine such a thing. I mean its as ridiculous as implementing capping for an air war, making planes fly in circles for 3mins around a certain space of sky to win an air war ..... naval capping is just as stupid.

I can understand why this was implemented into the game, but i think it was a bad decision. Forcing a ship that was build for one specific task, and making it perform a completely separate task than what it was historically built for. Whats next, throwing a huge beach-ball into the middle of the map and making these ships play a soccer game to determine victory? Why not stick to the historical use of these ships? they are built to sink one another, DD's are built to SCOUT and SCREEN capitol ships, not capping a patch of ocean.

Ive heard arguments about there being too many draws without capping, well i have info for you whiners, that's REALITY!  yes that's what really happened in naval warfare, check your history, most capitol ship encounters ended with one fleet escaping the other without being destroyed, using weather, the night, or a DD smoke screen to aid the escape. Some examples: Bismark, sunk the Hood then ESCAPED from the P.O.W. Yamato, its first two naval battles were very brief appearances where it escaped after only a few shots fired. Even the famous hunt for the Graf Spee didn't end in ANY ship being sunk. Seeing a pattern here?  realizing what true REALISTIC naval combat is about?

Far too many battles are over in only MINUTES because of the capping system, a win rating is determined more by your DD captains than actual ship mastery or skill. Since when do DD's dictate a win or loss in a REAL naval battle? CV's (Just as in real life) should be given priority to win or lose, with the DD's and CA's ability to protect capitol ships, tipping the balance of the outcome.

At least create a separate room called  "Realistic battles" with a larger time limit and no capping, where gunnery and skill at the helm decide the outcome, instead of 10% of the force (DD's) deciding the fate of the other 90%. Also, with the speed of BB's as they are, they practically play no part in the capping war, DD's smoke and speed at the hands of a decent captain can mitigate a BB anytime, anyplace, we all know this, caus weve seen it 100 times. And we all know what happens if you try to cap with a BB .... hahahahah, what a laugh.

As it stands now, all we have here is a glorified ARCADE GAME with realistic models, sorry to break your heart guys, but this aint naval warfare, its not even close. So do we wait for someone else to release a REAL naval warfare game, or have hope that WG changes a few things to make the combat as realistic as the ship models and statistics? even crappy navy field 2 was more realistic than this, and dont even get me started on ships dissapearing right in front of your eyes like some Klingon cloaking system  uurrghhh. Realistic? yeah sure.

Can someone please make a realistic mode?

Rant over, have a nice day.

Super Tester
989 posts
4,319 battles

Maybe before this the war in pacific dont require capturing an island to make it as a resupply island. Or some strategic route

We should kill all!! Pew pew

294 posts
2,997 battles

Though I don't really agree that the mode is useless, I do somewhat agree that people, most of the time, flock towards capping than assisting the other flanks in WOWS, something stark opposite to my experience in WOT. It is a hit or a miss strategy. I have seen a lot of games lost even though we had more players because enemy broke through a thin flank and the rest of our team decided to push the enemy base rather than defend our own. That meant they capped without hindrance while ours kept getting nipped by a stray agile scout. The mode is definitely weird realistically speaking, but then again as someone said, "It isn't a naval simulation."

I mean personally I find limited timer in a battle as the most weirdest aspect. I lost a great game yesterday because fifteen minutes expired before I could kill an enemy. Lost it by 10 points as well which feels pretty bullshit when it comes to comparison with reality. But that is World of Warships. Everything is designed with some purpose to aid game play.

1,386 posts
8,244 battles

Is fire sinking ship so much historical? Or is spawning a CV ~30km from enemy fleet? Or is carrier being able to send multiple strike waves within 20 minutes? Or is the magical less-than-minute plane reload? Or is concealment? Or is torpedoes that sail straight, don't fail to detonate and even goes off when sth touches it's tail? Or is Moskva? Khabarovsk?

This game is NOT a naval simulation. It's a game WG made to do RUSSIAN-BIAS.

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

gAwETmv.jpg

Even though this is about realism, this is the 1st time i see anyone rant about capping. This guy must be trying to be famous or something since he only has 1 post. :hmm:
Edited by Shiroyasha_Gintoki

Video Contributor
2,266 posts
10,789 battles

how about 100sq.mile.?

make it realistic artillery :trollface:

no time limit no cap no whatever 30 vs 30(or more) Battle of Midway :trollface:

no HP limit ammo add oil whatever

Edited by Onlinegamer

[LBAS]
Beta Tester
324 posts

Geez, some group of people just demanded on the other thread for the removal of a totally historical and realistic event from the game because it hurts their glorious career! And now this jack*** complaining this game isn't realistic enough because there is capping a sea area in this game.

By the way is capturing a vast amount of sea area, disrupt, destroy and closed up the enemy's key supply routes not historical and realistic? Ever heard of starving your enemy before you actually bring up a battle and defeat them?

Sure this game has many unrealistic things (and I want them as it is) but capping opponent base isn't one of them, find better things to whine about.

<content removed> 

P.S. Pleasing everyone is hard. Pissing everyone is easy

Use of sensitive political situations in discussion. User already warned.

~ADM_dude

Edited by ADM_dude

1,105 posts

@Jin_Maq : did you know what is the most stupid mode? ITS CALLED EPICENTER

Want realism?

Join the navy.

what navy? JOIN OUR MERCENARY INSTEAD!!

Pros :

+ Best Aircraft-Subcarrier

+ Learn how to use EchoSabre and some dark side power

+ gaining your own stando (optional)

+ Stealth Plane never got detected LOL

+ free premium account for every *BEEEP site YOU WANT!

Con :

- INSANE LAG/PING when gaming, well what are you expectin from submarine?

- Alcoh*l and smoke are phrohibited :V

- must watch at least 100 anime or manga

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,493 battles

Can someone please make a realistic mode?

You mean where you can't pilot your ship with simply keyboard presses and aim with a mouse? Where your viewpoint is restricted to the little windows on the bridge? Could be interesting, but I don't think it would sell very well.

1,105 posts

You mean where you can't pilot your ship with simply keyboard presses and aim with a mouse? Where your viewpoint is restricted to the little windows on the bridge? Could be interesting, but I don't think it would sell very well.

how about CV, total aimbot hahahaha.....

command the plane to scout, send most TB in the night..... profit,,,,... no AA, coz every crew is sleeping hahahahaha

[1AN-E]
303 posts
3,837 battles

when he says realistic he dosent literally to the letter realistic (if he is then i dont get it either) in war thunder as an example they have realstic and arcade realistic mode u have to refuel and rearm every so often once u run out of ammo.and diffrent mechanics come into play and others get tweaked.as for arcade u have unlimitaded ammo (still had to reload and wait for it to cool down if overheated) and other mechanics were either removed tweaked /dialled back and to be very honest i wouldn't mind seeing that (also please give us clan wars soon). but at this point as you have seen in my posts and rants any new playlist is welcome on my end and in the end it might be fun to see a little more different mechanics implemented into a new playlist  

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,493 battles

I can remember back in Beta where the only mode was Standard Battle and literally half of them ended in a Draw. There was no points tally, so if you couldn't kill the entire enemy team or cap their home base in 20 minutes, both teams suffered a Defeat. It was campy, frustrating, and not much fun.

Domination might make little sense from a roleplaying perspective, but it's an excellent way to encourage players to get involved in the action. Move up or lose!