Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Unraveler

Asymmetrical Saint-Louis

6 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,466 battles

I've been playing around with Saint-Louis on Public Test and noticed an unusual feature:

40lX9Y4.jpg

The starboard torpedo launcher faces forward, while the port launcher faces rearward.

This affects the corresponding arcs of each side, with the starboard launcher having better foward angles:

q0wZ8DI.jpg

And the port launcher having better rear angles:

R65C5Yl.jpg

1,105 posts

HOWLING SHEET! 

1. ANTI AIR REKT PLANE DEFENSIVE FIRE

2. SPEEEEDDD BOOOSTAAA

3. SUPA BATTLESHIP CONSUMMABLE : Regen Aura

dat CA, any other consummable option? like smoke :V

its look like there is some large spacious place in the mid to behind.....best place for sunbathing

ehm, when will WG give CV 5 min 20km radar?

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,466 battles

Other than Speed Boost (which replaces Catapult Fighter and Spotter Plane), it's just the standard high-tier CA loadout. Defensive Fire can be swapped for Hydro Acoustic.

The torpedo arcs mean that it's easier to get both launchers on a target if you're turning counter-clockwise, but the opposite is true if you're turning clockwise.

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,466 battles

I should also add that the spaced armour layout seems to be more of a liability than a strength (I won't post a screenshot - check the armour viewer in-game). The citadel is 45mm and set back from the 100mm main armour belt. This would be fine if shells traveled along perfectly flat trajectories, but at the typical ranges Saint-Louis fights incoming shells will be on a steep descending angle. This means they'll often strike the thin 25mm casemate section above the main belt and proceed downward into the citadel side. In other cruisers, without the empty space exposing the citadel side, such shells would bounce off the citadel deck armour for normal penetrating damage rather than a devastating citadel hit.

She definitely feels very soft, much like Neptune and Minotaur.

Edited by Unraveler

1,386 posts
8,224 battles

IMO Saint-Louis is even more crispy than Neptune or Minotaur. It's basically a big floating citadel that invites people to delete from any angle. Neptune or Minotaur can use a bit of WASD or angling to survive, at least avoid getting insta-delete. And Minotaur has the best concealment a high tier cruiser can have at 8.9km.

Back to the topic, after checking the models of T6-10 ships, I think this torp tube layout is a feature of French cruisers.

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,466 battles

Yeah, I agree. Assuming a full concealment build, surface detection is:

Ibuki:   9.7 km  Reasonably tanky. Not great but not terrible, either.

Baltimore:    9.7 km  Quite strong for a Cruiser, especially against guns smaller than 400mm.

Neptune: 10.1 km  Weak and with a very exposed citadel.

Roon: 11.1 km  Very strong bow armour, and fairly resistant to citadel damage.

Dmitri Donskoi: 12.3 km  Strong bow and a fairly low citadel. Not too bad.

Saint-Louis: 11.5 km  Fairly weak armour in general and with a high citadel, but it's the odd arrangement of the main belt which exposes the citadel to even the weakest Destroyer guns.

While I don't think Saint-Louis is a horrible ship, it's just not a lot of fun. The guns are nice (ballistics falling somewhere between IJN 203mm and DE 203mm) and the AA is strong. Unfortunately, the poor concealment and frustrating armour protection means you'll usually be forced to sit back and lob HE from max range. The torpedoes are rarely useful since you never want to let anybody get that close and the Speed Boost consumable is essentially a worthless novelty (I actually found that swapping it out for the Spotter Plane was a better option, which isn't saying much).

I have a nagging suspicion that the lacklustre Saint-Louis is one of the best ships in this new line and that's why we were allowed to test it (probably to counteract the negative reviews the French line had been getting). I suppose we'll find out soon enough!

Sign in to follow this