You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SaintVincent

German BB dispersion: rant warning

51 comments in this topic

22 posts

Why is German BB dispersion so godawful? I couldn't hit the side of a barn from a few kilometres with my FDG. And when it does hit it often does almost no damage. Forget aiming for the citadel,  as you just won't hit it. The salvo straddles the enemy on both sides and on front and behind and you're lucky if a shell even hits. It's so bad I have pretty much stopped playing it and progressing. It's just not fun and I doubt I want to spend the time and credits just to get a bigger, slower version of the same turd. 

Today I went back and played my Arizona which I haven't done in a while and what a revelation! OK, so it's a slow turning, slow firing tub of lard, but pretty much every salvo is tightly grouped and only fails to hit when I misjudge the speed of the enemy ship. And I'm doing more damage in the Arizona than in the FDG. So it's not my lack of gunnery skill that's the problem, it's the bollocks ship that's the problem. 

And before anyone trots out that tired old justification that the German BBs are brawlers, I'll bollocks that in advance too. Nobody plays at close range in Tier IX/X. Nobody. It just doesn't happen. Frankly, in a long range duel I'd take the Arizona over the FDG. That way at least I can hit my target. I was repeatedly citadelling a Scharnhorst in the last game. Oh I wish for that in the FDG.

WG really needs to fix the awful gunnery on the German BBs. They're unplayable. 

1,105 posts

German BB dont need main gun lol, it need BETTER SPEED AND REDUCED RAMMING DAMAGE.

this BB is supposedly doing yolo with ram and secondary. with the superior armor and decent speed it can be good for ramming.

USN BB have high armor too but with HIGH ACCURACY and just look at special upgrade. with Steven Seagal turret traverse speed, it can be good sniper.

JUST PLAY USN BB if you like them. pffftt i like USN BB too!

GG Steven Seagall

22 posts

Nobody is asking for a 50m dispersion. However, and yes I know this is an oversimplified calculation since the actual accuracy calculation is more complex, see the below table. At lower ranges the real calculation is not linear, but this gives an idea of just how poor the accuracy of the German BB line is at max range. 

Ship Tier Range Max Dispersion m/km
Amagi 8 18.1 214 11.82
Izumo 9 19.7 225 11.42
Yamato 10 26.6 276 10.38

Bismarck 8 19.3 255 13.21
FDG 9 20.3 265 13.05
GK 10 20 268 13.40

N. Carolina 8 21.1 271 12.84
Iowa 9 21.2 272 12.83
Montana 10 23.6 297 12.58

Edited by SaintVincent

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

Nobody is asking for a 50m dispersion. However, and yes I know this is an oversimplified calculation since the actual accuracy calculation is more complex, see the below table. At lower ranges the real calculation is not linear, but this gives an idea of just how poor the accuracy of the German BB line is at max range. 

Ship Tier Range Max Dispersion m/km
Amagi 8 18.1 214 11.82
Izumo 9 19.7 225 11.42
Yamato 10 26.6 276 10.38

Bismarck 8 19.3 255 13.21
FDG 9 20.3 265 13.05
GK 10 20 268 13.40

N. Carolina 8 21.1 271 12.84
Iowa 9 21.2 272 12.83
Montana 10 23.6 297 12.58

so your table shows IJN as having the better accuracy and USN as having the worst....DK is in the middle range. Where is the problem?

22 posts

Nope, IJN far and away the best, USN second, KM third. And if you take the Yamato for example, better armor, better accuracy and lower sigma and better range than USN and KM. It may as well be one tier higher than the USN and KM equivalents. All that notwithstanding, I could live with everything else on the German line, except for the horrendous accuracy.

Edited by SaintVincent

1,105 posts

so your table shows IJN as having the better accuracy and USN as having the worst....DK is in the middle range. Where is the problem?

what? so IJN BB have better accuracy? also can someone explain m/km in table mean?

if IJN have the best acc, lets quit USN BB :B

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

FYI, it's not like you're gonna hit anything at long range, nor the hit can do much damages at long range. And if you want German BB accuracy to be buffed, you have to take out THAT Turtleback Armour for it to be balanced m8, do you really want that?

22 posts

Yes, I'd exchange the armor for better accuracy. Not that it makes any difference - the turtleback just prevents citadelling at close range and Tier X battles are not close range, right? 

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Get in close as possible to the enemy, I never engage in long range unless detected though.

Of the 3 battleships I played, NC had worst dispersion. Shells landed around the target :D

22 posts

what? so IJN BB have better accuracy? also can someone explain m/km in table mean?

if IJN have the best acc, lets quit USN BB :B

Yes, IJN have far and away the best accuracy. The table is just a simple calculation that assumes the dispersion is linear over distance (it's not so at short range, but after about 7km it is). It is the metres of dispersion divided by the range in km to give a very simple measure of metre of dispersion per kilometre. 

FDG in particular has the lowest number of guns of any Tier IX/X BB (8 as opposed to 9/9 for Iowa/Izumo and 12 each for the Tier X), so the high dispersion / low sigma is particularly hard on FDG. Less shells means less chance to land on target.

The following graphic is instructive. It comes from a

from user M4gicman. Simplistically, Yamato is top right, GK top left. Although Yamato's dispersion at GKs max range is lower than GK's dispersion at max range, so in fact the big circle should be smaller for Yamato. When viewed like this, I think the problem is clearer.

dispersion.JPG

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

Yes, I'd exchange the armor for better accuracy. Not that it makes any difference - the turtleback just prevents citadelling at close range and Tier X battles are not close range, right? 

Sorry but the closer you get, the more useful you become, and that goes for every BBs, not just IJN or USN. But you have to know when to go in, otherwise you'll be easy targets for DD torps.

Beside, who needs another "copy-paste" playstyles for German BBs? That's boring as hell and not unique at all.

[LNA]
1,657 posts
10,412 battles

You should just think that your armor allow you to take more shots and allow you to safely show broadside to some degree and not having to go bow on all the time like the other 2.

Fact is  your poor acurracy compels you to do short range brawling and at short range you can out traverse a Yamato and to some degree a Montana while your secondary shred them to pieces.

While your gun is meh the armor and durability allow you to take more shots and use more turrets to even out the equation.

Yamato rarely like to go to short range and Montana cannot do anything to an angling FDK

22 posts

It's easy to say this but it's unfortunately not how Tier X games work. Nobody wants to go close in - you try and you die, usually from lack of support or when the other players turn tail and run away.

Super Tester
813 posts
3,912 battles

It is the intended playstyle of DEBBs. If you can't hit enemy ships you should practice aiming. I easily hit DDs at 12km with my bismarck. As a DEBB you have to push towards the enemies and not kemp bush at base. Rarely, the shells go all over the place but that is normal.

1,105 posts

It is the intended playstyle of DEBBs. If you can't hit enemy ships you should practice aiming. I easily hit DDs at 12km with my bismarck. As a DEBB you have to push towards the enemies and not kemp bush at base. Rarely, the shells go all over the place but that is normal.

replay please, learn from the masta! i want to see how to shot DD in KM BB from 12 KM and hit.... i am missed, event in 8 km

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,453 battles

That's right. At a range of 14 km Bismarck has the fastest HE shells of any battleship, taking only 7.34 seconds. And the only ship of any class faster than that is (of course) Moskva (6.57 seconds).

Bismarck's AP is the same speed, but comes in second behind Izumo (7.13 seconds).

Edited by Unraveler

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,453 battles

There's currently a bug in 0.6.4 Public Test causing secondary guns to aim too low, resulting in most of the shells falling short into the water:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/122349-64-public-test-secondaries-broken-at-close-range

Hopefully this doesn't make it through to the Live Server.

1,105 posts
7,834 battles

Based from my experience.

US BB have same horrid accuracy as the germans (with exception of NC).

The US artillery plotting room however, makes the Missouri better at medium to close range (13km or bellow - its effect is not realy noticable at long range IMO). without the upgrade They both were awfull - with Missouri require more precise aim. due to faster german shell is make it easier for lead shoot

Due to Nature at Higher tier, which Range of engagement become further and further away - the impact will be more noticable. however at tier 10, due to 50% more gun. the sheer number of shells will saturate the target - raising the probability of shell hit the target by....... well 50%