You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DarkAngelus01

Remove aim assist for torpedoes

21 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
37 posts
17 battles

Torpedoes are certainly powerful no questions, but getting an aim assist is simply making them OP it is becoming less caring about how many aircraft carriers battleships etc there are but more playing "dodge those torps, right aim... damn dodge torps, right hit something... dodge torps almost got it turn, turn DAMNI........ back to port". 

so the question is: why are the torps getting aim assist while when we fire main guns we have to guess roughly where the ship will be?

and considering that a successful torp (about 60-80% of the time) hit is a guaranteed to lose a nice chunk of your health or simply watch your ship explode and sink, not to mention watching those speedy little destroyers come right up next to you knowing it will take 5-8 shots to sink and if you are lucky you might disable a torpedo tube and simply wait for the inevitable torpedo spread.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

aim assist does not make the torpedoes OP, all it is doing is showing you where to fire IF the enemy ships stays on its current course and speed. If you have DD's in close, then do not sail in a straight line, all you are doing is helping them torpedo you.

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
390 posts
3,801 battles

Its more about team work really... DDs shouldnt get close and if they do its the whole teams fault... do what you can and turn away

Beta Tester
12 posts
19 battles

If you let a DD sail in close enough for them to easily torpedo you them im afraid your doing it wrong. 

If you remove the aim assist from torpedos how on earth would Destroyers be able to kill anything? Without it torpedoes would be ridiculously hard to use unless your at pointblank range which also makes the DD an easy target.

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

If you see torps coming towards you side-on, and they're still 6km away, just mash the S button repeatedly.

If you're moving forward, DDs will preaim a few clicks ahead of you. Coming to a full halt often keeps you safe from torps as long as they're far away. You shouldn't be letting DDs get close to you in the first place.

Beta Tester
86 posts
208 battles

DD aim assist is pointless, when a DD is sinking battleships at point blank range!  :D 

You guys shouldn't let DDs come in close in the first place :playing:

besides even with aim assist on, if you just SLIGHTLY change your speed or take a SLIGHT turn, those torpedoes are going to miss you by a mile.

Beta Tester
37 posts
17 battles

all valid points, but the point I am raising is if torps get the aim assist might as well give it to main guns as well, and not to mention not allow them to get in close, teamwork are you sure you guys are playing the same beta as me. team work does not exist in pub battles which is one of the 2 formats to play with. I play cruisers and I use the auto aim ability simply because it is the optimal spot to fire if the ships turns (very few ships other than destroyers are able to turn sharply or quickly unless you spot them far away, in which case the game play goes from warships to torpedo watch). IMO and it is only an opinion given the power of torps one should have practiced to use them not jump into a destroyer/cruiser and have the game do it all for you.

It is only a suggestion after all, personally if i could hit a ship without the aim assist I would actually be pretty happy as it is I fire forget and hope the ship I fired at does not notice them until the ping alert comes up.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

I'm actually fine with ship-launched torpedo. In early tiers they don't have enough of them to make a wide spread. Late tier is a different matter. The main problem I see is that they have such a low reload timer, everybody spam it like no tomorrow.

Aircraft-launched torpedo however, is a completely different thing which I feel that needs more attention on balancing.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

This is arcade game, btw. It's acceptable for arcade game model and it does not guarantee a hit anyway unless the guy been sailing on same speed and course.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

This is arcade game, btw. It's acceptable for arcade game model and it does not guarantee a hit anyway unless the guy been sailing on same speed and course.

Many people tunnel vision, and suffered painful death. That's actually normal, but what I'm concerning is how much open window you have to avoid being torpedo-ed.

For Destroyers I think they are fine since you have quite a bit of time to counter act.

Torpedo Bombers can stay away of your AA gun range as they wish, and when they starts the attack run you have only a couple of second to dodge, try doing that when they attack you from the sides. Even worse, 2 squads of them coming at you at the same time.

I'm not saying that I want Torpedo Bombers to become obsolete, just that I hope targeted ships have more time to maneuver (if they can at all) to reduce the receiving damage because right now it's kinda easy to cripple or 1-shot big ships with 2 salvo of air-launched torpedo, which you get access to right at the very first Carrier.

Maybe increased Torpedo arming range could help, and/or reduced bombers' speed or the rate at which bombers are resupplied on carrier.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Many people tunnel vision, and suffered painful death. That's actually normal, but what I'm concerning is how much open window you have to avoid being torpedo-ed.

For Destroyers I think they are fine since you have quite a bit of time to counter act.

Torpedo Bombers can stay away of your AA gun range as they wish, and when they starts the attack run you have only a couple of second to dodge, try doing that when they attack you from the sides. Even worse, 2 squads of them coming at you at the same time.

I'm not saying that I want Torpedo Bombers to become obsolete, just that I hope targeted ships have more time to maneuver (if they can at all) to reduce the receiving damage because right now it's kinda easy to cripple or 1-shot big ships with 2 salvo of air-launched torpedo, which you get access to right at the very first Carrier.

Maybe increased Torpedo arming range could help, and/or reduced bombers' speed or the rate at which bombers are resupplied on carrier.

Don't worry, I suffered a lot from torpedoes during Alpha and beta test weekend.

But I'm glad they buff the income torpedo detection, if you recall your battles during Beta Test Weekends.... you only have like less than a kilometer (??) or 500 meters or simply 3 seconds to evade incoming torpedoes? They buff it now in closed beta to like.... 7 seconds to give time to avoid?

And for torpedo bombers and & dive bomber, they need to add the attack animation. (e.g. launching torpedoes from planes & bombs animation)

The game will get updates, it's not yet final. Worry not on that matter.

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Don't forget there is a Captain's Skill to increase your torpedo detection range...

That skill used to be useless because the increase was negligible, but with the buff to torp detection range it might be useful now.

Quick, someone test this for science!

Beta Tester
184 posts
107 battles

I've only played a weekend of the game but I can definitely see torpedoes being a problem in their current state with the reload times and their damage effectiveness. I have only the discussion of friends involved since Alpha who are playing high tier to gain a perspective from that end of the game.

Destroyers with the current implementation of torps seem to me to be a little like the auto loader tanks of WoT and engender the issues of that game where Med tanks were out of control. People will have their own opinions of course but I have concern that the combination of speed/manoeuvre, smoke (invisibility basically), devastating firepower,  and map size/congestion leave this ripe for abuse in games. The 'fragile' nature of these ships does not seem to be the required counter balance to their effect I think.

A stiff penalty for friendly fire also should be implemented soon I think. Other than screwing your teams chance at a win I think it's necessary to penalise so that people begin to play with some anticipation of the impact of firing. It might slow the torp spam and allow a more refined assessment of the impact they  will have as the game matures?? (I mean the game getting older not he player base maturing :P)

Still.... early days and I 'll keep playing and evaluating. Hopefully I'll have my access to the beta forums soon and see what discussion is underway there.

I think someone mentioned there being no issue as the counter is easy with teamwork and ranged attack. I had a nice laugh at that. With the amount of foresight required due to slow turn/move etc this game will likely expose bad teamwork far more thoroughly than WoT ever did and it's largely the same player base.

Edited by Quasinerdo

Beta Tester
25 posts
439 battles

Destroyer torpedoes, torpedo bombers, dive bombers all get an assist in aiming at the target yet firing your main guns doesn't.

Either remove the aim assist from all of them or give us a main gun assist to aiming.

It doesn't have to be 100% accurate but something like the torpedo aiming would make things better.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

That skill used to be useless because the increase was negligible, but with the buff to torp detection range it might be useful now.

Quick, someone test this for science!

I'll try. But someone sponsor my videocard replacement for my dead desktop! *cries*

Beta Tester
20 posts
290 battles

I've only played a weekend of the game but I can definitely see torpedoes being a problem in their current state with the reload times and their damage effectiveness. I have only the discussion of friends involved since Alpha who are playing high tier to gain a perspective from that end of the game.

Honestly speaking the only problematic DDs are at Tier V and below. They have nonsense reload times on the torps (like what, 30 seconds per salvo?) but when I tech up to Tier VI and above, there is suddenly a massively long 1 minute and 40 seconds torpedo reload time for a salvo.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Honestly speaking the only problematic DDs are at Tier V and below. They have nonsense reload times on the torps (like what, 30 seconds per salvo?) but when I tech up to Tier VI and above, there is suddenly a massively long 1 minute and 40 seconds torpedo reload time for a salvo.

For JP DDs in higher tier, the torpedo reload time is reasonable for game balance. Longer range and faster.

Beta Tester
20 posts
290 battles

For JP DDs in higher tier, the torpedo reload time is reasonable for game balance. Longer range and faster.

I don't see how the Mutsuki class needs to be affected by this "balance" when I can't even destroy a BB with 2 salvos of 3 torpedos.