You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
dead_man_walking

Pacific Class Patrol Boats

3 comments in this topic

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

So I'm out on the balcony looking around and see something grey tied up at the wharf across from my hotel.

(Apologies for the dodgy photo - it's raining and my phone isn't that great a camera!)

20150314_0739471_zpsh3dmw0d9.jpg

Turns out it's one of the Pacific Class Patrol Boats donated to our neighbours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific-class_patrol_boat

2 posts
852 battles

The hull-design was a mix of the old Attacks and the Fremantles that replaced them, but with diesel engines that we often joked were taken straight from John Deere tractors. They were cheap to build and operate, relatively simple to maintain and highly reliable in the kinds of border protection, fisheries and anti-smuggling roles that the recipients needed to fill.

The bigger problem, unfortunately, was training up local crews from the various police (and Army) forces that would crew them...

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

The hull-design was a mix of the old Attacks and the Fremantles that replaced them, but with diesel engines that we often joked were taken straight from John Deere tractors. They were cheap to build and operate, relatively simple to maintain and highly reliable in the kinds of border protection, fisheries and anti-smuggling roles that the recipients needed to fill.

The bigger problem, unfortunately, was training up local crews from the various police (and Army) forces that would crew them...

oh yeah - been there lol, was just a surprise to see her actually in use rather than a wharf ornament - she sailed several times in the 4 weeks I was in Honiara that trip.