Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Somedude_Yudachi

About Yorck

11 comments in this topic

1,070 posts
3,850 battles

IF you learn to play it well,it works very good.Its takes some practice to get the best out of it.

You need to use HE most of the time as its AP is hard to aim over 10km due to slow shells,and under 10km the enemy need to be basically broadside for it to do decent damage with the AP.

Its HE is very good,and it takes out DD very well.Learn to be able to land shots up to its max range.

Its turrets are slightly slower than its ability to turn,so you need to learn to use rudder and speed to get guns on target when needed.It has a good turn rate though.If you know how to WASD then you will be able to dodge enemy shells while still being able to fire back at the same time.

Following the BB or even slightly nearer the enemy to distract them and WASD to frustrate them would be a good idea.Also if you get near a DD in smoke,pop HA and wade in firing torps from both sides at the same time.It has good enough turn rate to dodge torps fired at it at close range while pummeling them with HE.

Edited by BanditSE1977

980 posts
12,617 battles

I thought Yorck was a fun ship. I didn't really find a way to do well in Yorck, but had fun playing it like a Soviet cruiser and (ineffectively) lighting everything on fire. 

Forget about AP unless you are ambushing a cruiser 8km away or less to ensure you Have enough penetration power. 

Have some fun before you get to the Hipper, that's where the pain begins. 

1,356 posts
8,888 battles

I think it is an OK ship, though admittedly I haven't played much of her yet. 

Maybe I am using her wrong, but I find her pretty boring to play. I basically play her as a longer ranged but less maneuverable Pensacola, using HE at long range and only switching to AP if an enemy presents their broadside at close range. I find that the AP shells, though they have high damage, lose a lot of Penetration over distance. I tend to get a lot of shatters and bounces with AP at anything more than 10km away. The same thing for Nurnberg, I use her like a Cleveland and mostly stick to HE unless its a close range fight.

Maybe that is why I don't like to play the German cruisers much (apart from the Graf Spee). I haven't found their niche or playstyle yet.

And i thought German Cruisers all have bad HE with low fire chance and alpha damage compare to other nation (beside British cuz they don't have HE)

I thought that too, but found that in practice I tended to stick HE in most cases due to the AP shells' poor penetration.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

I put DE perk on my Yorck captain (and keeping it until Hidenberg) and fired only HE from long range, both as advised by certain Youtuber. And it went really well that I attained 11 fires on one game and average of 4 fires per game.

Capture.PNG

The only time you used AP shell is when target is under 10 km range where AP shell travel time is acceptable & able to land hits on the target.

Capture.PNG

1,070 posts
3,850 battles

And i thought German Cruisers all have bad HE with low fire chance and alpha damage compare to other nation (beside British cuz they don't have HE)

Yorck is the odd one out in the German line.Its AP sucks and its HE is great.I don't worry to much about the fire chance as the HE does decent damage anyway.

I put DE perk on my Yorck captain (and keeping it until Hidenberg) and fired only HE from long range, both as advised by certain Youtuber. And it went really well that I attained 11 fires on one game and average of 4 fires per game.

I need to remember to try that once I get more skill points up.I mount the 2 fire flags to help with it for now though.

Beta Tester
609 posts
6,780 battles

I love my Yorck (but don't like other KM Cruisers). My win rate is over 70% in it so it clearly agrees with me.  A few points to note are that it is very tanky for a cruiser (check the citadel in the armour viewer), the AP is excellent in close ranges, it's agile and has 6 torps a side with good arcs, and it of course has superb hydro.

This makes it a great brawler. You're not in a BB though, so you need to know when to push.  Early game I feel out the enemy, try to burn at long range with it's good HE.  When the opportunity presents itself, I'll move up and try to bully the enemy into submission.  This works great against all classes.  It is ridiculously fun to do this, and quite effective.  Pick the wrong time to get aggressive though, and you'll die pretty quickly.

All in all, a unique playstyle, I can't really think of any other cruiser that plays like it.

[AUSNZ]
59 posts
11,704 battles

I loved it.  I heard it was crap and certainly is odd to play, but played properly its kick ass.  You have to master the HE arc and AP arc, use AP close only and normally later in game.  Burn things early and normally have some fun games.  I liked it more than the hipper which i feel is kind of bland.

1,070 posts
3,850 battles

I loved it.  I heard it was crap and certainly is odd to play, but played properly its kick ass.  You have to master the HE arc and AP arc, use AP close only and normally later in game.  Burn things early and normally have some fun games.  I liked it more than the hipper which i feel is kind of bland.

I think you maybe right,the Yorck is more fun than the Hipper.Hipper needs to be played a bit more thoughtfully,where as the Yorck you just go nuts!

146 posts
10,267 battles

My experience was the same. I found Roon disappointing as well. The Hindenburg was worth it though :)  ---- best ship in the game imho. 

Sign in to follow this