Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SaintVincent

F. de Grosse

17 comments in this topic

22 posts

So, I just got the F. de Gross. And my damage has dropped dramatically. I've got it specced for accuracy, reload time and concealment with a 14 point captain skills build PT, AR, BFT, AFT, CE (since I never seem to get into brawling range in Tier IX/X matches). The thing is, this ship is a pig. It is slow, it doesn't turn, it's a torp magnet, and by the time I get anywhere, the action has moved on already and I'm left out alone and the target of the infestation of DDs that I can't see or hit, especially with a reload time of 30secs. And if a CV is in the game, it's even worse, since I get torped by them as well. I did much better in my Bismarck and in fact, better in the Gneisenau than in the Bismarck. It seems that as the tier goes up the ships get worse and the gameplay gets worse. 

What's with higher tier BB play? It's so painful I'm ready to just give up. 

683 posts
7,338 battles

First if all, glad you like the Bismarck :)

Well, frankly me and a friend of mine just couldn't make FDG work back then, until a point I gave up and partly free XP her and never look back.

GK IS a beast in tier 10. I really recommend just try your best grind through FDG and get to GK.

From the way you spec FDG you may consider Flamu GK survival build, though personally I go for secondaries.

All the best mate :) GK is still worth getting.

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

You cant brute force brawl on T9-10 matches

the map is open and big, they will saw you miles away, and pound you from range before you even got into range

If you play FDG like bismark on T9-T10 match, you will fail 9 out of 10

since the hi tier maps were open from all direction, other ship from all direction can and will melt you from half map away when you force your way through 

FDG and kurfurst also sluggish battleship, unlike bismark which good for brawling

with non existent agility and jupiter sized body, even with hydro - dodging torps on kurfurst is hard

There aint other ships that play like bismark, FDG and Kurfurst play diffrently :

Edited by humusz

22 posts

You cant brute force brawl on T9-10 matches

the map is open and big, they will saw you miles away, and pound you from range before you even got into range

If you play FDG like bismark on T9-T10 match, you will fail 9 out of 10

since the hi tier maps were open from all direction, other ship from all direction can and will melt you from half map away when you force your way through 

FDG and kurfurst also sluggish battleship, unlike bismark which good for brawling

with non existent agility and jupiter sized body, even with hydro - dodging torps on kurfurst is hard

There aint other ships that play like bismark, FDG and Kurfurst play diffrently :

Absolutely agreed. I don't brawl and have respecced my captain away from the Bismarck secondaries build. But even so, the FDG just sucks - the gun dispersion is so bad I couldn't hit the side of a barn from 10 km away with its guns while simultaneously attracting focus fire from pretty much every opposing ship!

22 posts

First if all, glad you like the Bismarck :)

Well, frankly me and a friend of mine just couldn't make FDG work back then, until a point I gave up and partly free XP her and never look back.

GK IS a beast in tier 10. I really recommend just try your best grind through FDG and get to GK.

From the way you spec FDG you may consider Flamu GK survival build, though personally I go for secondaries.

All the best mate :) GK is still worth getting.

Thanks, that's really good to know. I will persevere and grind through to GK. I was fearful that GK may just be a super FDG with all the same problems magnified into T10 form

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles

FDG melts really quickly, even when you angle, Iowas and Izumos are going to cit you from across the map. And the t10 BBs will eat you for lunch. I haven't played German BBs myself. But from playing against them, Bismarck is overrated, FDG is weak, but GK is a beast.

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,967 battles

Welcome to Tier IX/X BB play, it's just unfun, boring and stupid.

I went from averaging 80-110k damage in tier 7-8 BB's to averaging around 15-30k damage in Iowa/FDG/Izumo.

Fun factor pretty much hits a brick wall at their 9 and 10. And you can be deleted in a single salvo, so no one does anything other than angle at the enemy and drive forward at 5 knts or reverse at 5 knts.

Wow, FUN!

22 posts

When I  posted this, my FDG was stock as I'd just got it. It improves markedly after all upgrades have been researched (although it's expensive as hell and the XP grind is painful). I'm now averaging about 60k - 80k, which is a definite improvement. I find it's armor is very solid if you're careful to stay angled and survive 80%+ of games as long as I'm not caught over-extended somewhere and focus fired by half a dozen ships. The B hull makes much quicker rudder shifts and with the rudder upgrade SGM2, the beast is actually almost as manageable as the Bismarck. 

The big improvement for me was the guns. The 420mm main battery makes a huge difference. Beforehand my shells were just bouncing against tier X BBs and I took to flinging HE at range. With the 420mm main battery, it hits like a freight train. I've had multiple one-shot kills of full HP CAs and just earlier today citadelled an Iowa for 45k in one salvo. Likewise I 1:1 dueled a badly played Yamato that did not stay fully angled and took him down rapidly too, partly with the help of the secondaries as we closed to brawling range. I managed a 27k single salvo citadel against the Yamato. I specced out of the secondary spec I had for the Bismarck, but even so the brawling capability is pretty good. In fact, not having manual secondaries is useful as sometimes I get alerted to a sneaky DD or CA when my secondaries trigger. 

The propulsion upgrade is also helpful, although she is still sluggish. My biggest gripe is the dispersion. I'm running the ASM1 which gives -7% to dispersion and still perfectly aimed shots sometimes miss, with shells landing either side and front and back of the target. Compared to the laser-focused dispersion in my Roon or Chapayev, FDGs dispersion is truly awful. Anyway, with all the upgrades I don't feel so much out of my depth anymore against tier X opponents. My captain build with a 14 point captain is PT, AR, BFT, AFT, CE. I'll take EM at 16 points. Upgrades are MAM1, ASM1, MBM3, DCSM1, SGM2, CSM1. With the latter and CE on the captain skills, my detectability range is 13km, which is quite useful for me to let targets close to a range that is better for my guns before opening fire. I can also run off and heal up after an intense engagement.

I've taken to heading for the nearest group of BBs when a match starts. I find that when there are 3 BBs and ideally some other CAs around that people get a little more confident and start pushing. I've had a couple of recent matches that ended in a brawl with a few BBs at close range, so that seems to work some of the time for me. Although don't get me wrong, I definitely still prefer the T7/8 matches - they're way more fun. My other gripe about T10 is the literal infestation of DDs and torp walls. We can't see them, can't hit them and they basically sail around launching walls of 15km range torps that by and large are pretty difficult to avoid in a wallowing beast like the FDG. 

FDG.JPG

980 posts
12,617 battles

When I  posted this, my FDG was stock as I'd just got it. It improves markedly after all upgrades have been researched (although it's expensive as hell and the XP grind is painful). I'm now averaging about 60k - 80k, which is a definite improvement. I find it's armor is very solid if you're careful to stay angled and survive 80%+ of games as long as I'm not caught over-extended somewhere and focus fired by half a dozen ships. The B hull makes much quicker rudder shifts and with the rudder upgrade SGM2, the beast is actually almost as manageable as the Bismarck. 

The big improvement for me was the guns. The 420mm main battery makes a huge difference. Beforehand my shells were just bouncing against tier X BBs and I took to flinging HE at range. With the 420mm main battery, it hits like a freight train. I've had multiple one-shot kills of full HP CAs and just earlier today citadelled an Iowa for 45k in one salvo. Likewise I 1:1 dueled a badly played Yamato that did not stay fully angled and took him down rapidly too, partly with the help of the secondaries as we closed to brawling range. I managed a 27k single salvo citadel against the Yamato. I specced out of the secondary spec I had for the Bismarck, but even so the brawling capability is pretty good. In fact, not having manual secondaries is useful as sometimes I get alerted to a sneaky DD or CA when my secondaries trigger. 

The propulsion upgrade is also helpful, although she is still sluggish. My biggest gripe is the dispersion. I'm running the ASM1 which gives -7% to dispersion and still perfectly aimed shots sometimes miss, with shells landing either side and front and back of the target. Compared to the laser-focused dispersion in my Roon or Chapayev, FDGs dispersion is truly awful. Anyway, with all the upgrades I don't feel so much out of my depth anymore against tier X opponents. My captain build with a 14 point captain is PT, AR, BFT, AFT, CE. I'll take EM at 16 points. Upgrades are MAM1, ASM1, MBM3, DCSM1, SGM2, CSM1. With the latter and CE on the captain skills, my detectability range is 13km, which is quite useful for me to let targets close to a range that is better for my guns before opening fire. I can also run off and heal up after an intense engagement.

I've taken to heading for the nearest group of BBs when a match starts. I find that when there are 3 BBs and ideally some other CAs around that people get a little more confident and start pushing. I've had a couple of recent matches that ended in a brawl with a few BBs at close range, so that seems to work some of the time for me. Although don't get me wrong, I definitely still prefer the T7/8 matches - they're way more fun. My other gripe about T10 is the literal infestation of DDs and torp walls. We can't see them, can't hit them and they basically sail around launching walls of 15km range torps that by and large are pretty difficult to avoid in a wallowing beast like the FDG. 

wtf waaheeyy you went from stock FDG to fully upgraded in 5 hrs???? How many games did you play???

Don't you get bored after 2-3 games in the same ship?

22 posts

wtf waaheeyy you went from stock FDG to fully upgraded in 5 hrs???? How many games did you play???

Don't you get bored after 2-3 games in the same ship?

Hahaha.....I played almost non-stop from when I posted this message until I was fully upgraded. The frustration level had just gotten too much and I needed to see if I was truly such a lousy player or if the ship in stock form is rubbish. It was a bit longer than 5 hours though, as I posted the original message yesterday...and although my damage output is way up I still think I'm a lousy player lol

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

But hey, T9 BBs are all terrible, just in different ways.

I don't know why WG likes to make T9 BBs deliberately shit, the Izumo gets spotted from half the map away, Iowa has terrible turning radius and shit armour, FDG has meh armament and terrible maneuverability.

1,386 posts
8,224 battles

But hey, T9 BBs are all terrible, just in different ways.

I don't know why WG likes to make T9 BBs deliberately shit, the Izumo gets spotted from half the map away, Iowa has terrible turning radius and shit armour, FDG has meh armament and terrible maneuverability.

FDG's protection against AP isn't all that perfect. 300mm vertical is paper for high tier battleship guns. You don't get citadelled often but normal penetration is still much pain. Better than Iowa but nowhere near Izumo's troll armor.

Most T10 are a lot better than T9 counterparts, or at least have significant advantage in some ways. Even the best T9 ships. For example Fletcher get crushed by Gearing in a gun fight, owing to Gearing's 21mm side belt. Neptune's maneuverability, firing angle and concealment are much inferior to Minotaur, also Neptune's citadel seem somewhat higher than Minotaur.

7 posts
6,406 battles

All I can say about FDG is that is a total POTATO ship. The worst dispersion I've encountered ever since I played this game. Forums says its good for brawling but even if you have the AFT and MFC it still is a POTATO ship. And they call it balance? Once you get spotted by any Cruiser or Destroyer with HE you definitely melt. You are a floating target. Who ever made this idea sure have a nice place in hell. I devoted my time to get a hold of one of a T9 Ship and surely I was very frustrated and annoyed... If there is a way to trade FDG I would love to. Well I guess I will just be contented with the T8 BB and CA for now...

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,256 battles
On 4/8/2017 at 9:23 AM, SaintVincent said:

So, I just got the F. de Gross. And my damage has dropped dramatically. I've got it specced for accuracy, reload time and concealment with a 14 point captain skills build PT, AR, BFT, AFT, CE (since I never seem to get into brawling range in Tier IX/X matches). The thing is, this ship is a pig. It is slow, it doesn't turn, it's a torp magnet, and by the time I get anywhere, the action has moved on already and I'm left out alone and the target of the infestation of DDs that I can't see or hit, especially with a reload time of 30secs. And if a CV is in the game, it's even worse, since I get torped by them as well. I did much better in my Bismarck and in fact, better in the Gneisenau than in the Bismarck. It seems that as the tier goes up the ships get worse and the gameplay gets worse. 

What's with higher tier BB play? It's so painful I'm ready to just give up. 

My guess, because better players and cause you speced it for non-secondary. Secondary damage is where KM BBs shine, if you don't get them running, you lose a big chunk of your damage

317 posts
6,862 battles

Iv'e only had the F. de Gross a couple of days and i think its fully upgraded and it does have its problems with getting focus fired with HE by cruisers. This is where you have to improve your map awareness. Plan your turns and always stay close to other Battleships.  Never instantly head into a cap until the DD has been spotted and dealt with. Remember your a torpedo magnet. Let friendly battleships also carry some of the damage - sounds like a crappy thing to do but if it means 2 ships with half health rather than 1 dead ship and one full heath, then you have saved the team from loosing points and dealing damage potential on the enemy.

When i engage i try to keep an island between me and the masses, while trying to bait another battleship. If they take the bait "you" turn and kite them (angled of course) and feather your throttle to maintain 8/10km distance so enemy secondaries don't activate. Most Battleships will keep slinging AP and a lot of it you can bounce - this is where your secondaries will light them up as your making an aggressive kite away.

So far i feel that F. de Gross is a better once your already 1/3 into game time and some of the high priority targets have been taken out which then allows you to actively push caps and then get play more aggressively,

Sign in to follow this