You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
WeavingBird1917

RNG is making dogfights totally B.S. (Is someone bribing the RNG?)

23 comments in this topic

8 posts
374 battles

This keeps happening, and it's driving me nuts. I was in a fully upgraded Langley, when an enemy Langley fighter squadron decided to engage my fighters less than minute into the battle. Since my fighters are fully upgraded, it should be an even match right (both squadrons are from the same ship)? No. In just 40 seconds, my whole fighter squad had vaporized, and I only managed to take down one of his fighters.

Now his remaining 5 fighters are going for my two other helpless squads. And even though they were above 5 or so tightly packed friendlies, none of them were shot down by any anti-air. Now that I'm defenseless, the enemy's torpedo squad finishes me off in one salvo of torpedoes (I have fully upgraded anti-air gunners in crews). The on board AI anti-air did not shoot down any planes, and Langley + 6 Torpedoes = dead.

Like how is this even possible??? If two fighter squadrons from 2 Langleys and with similar upgrades (mine was fully upgraded) engages each other at the same time, you would expect all fighters to all die at the same time, or maybe 1-2 to survive on one side. How is it possible that one Langley squadron gets taken down completely, while the other Langley fighter squadron only loses 1 plane? (And there's 6 planes per squadron!). This is totally unfair.

Is someone bribing the RNG?

Edited by WeavingBird1917

Super Tester
813 posts
3,912 battles

Is someone bribing the RNG?

I'll answer your main question: no. It is impossible to bribe a non-sentient being.

10 posts
4,412 battles

I'll answer your main question: no. It is impossible to bribe a non-sentient being.

i dunno about that... my dog seems to like being bribed to be quiet....

8 posts
374 battles

I know, it was a joke xD. But it blew my mind how I only took down one of his fighters, while he managed to take down my whole squadron. We both had the same carrier and my planes were maxed out in upgrades.

Beta Tester
358 posts
7,415 battles

You've got 18 battles in the Langley I'd say his commander has more skills than yours which will give his fighters a definite advantage in a straight up dog fight. Because you don't have the option of using strafe you can't engage his fighters and have to hope that ally AA is strong enough to give you any chance whilst also hoping that the other player will be dumb enough to fight under friendly AA.

So don't rely on the other player being stupid avoid fighting his fighters when possible and strike ships as far away from his fighters as you can. Attack with dive bombers first hope for fire then follow up with torpedoes after they used repair.

the enemy's torpedo squad finishes me off in one salvo of torpedoes (I have fully upgraded anti-air gunners in crews). The on board AI anti-air did not shoot down any planes, and Langley + 6 Torpedoes = dead.

If your taking 6 torps in one hit you must be stationary. You need to be moving and you should be turning your bow into their planes when they strike. Don't be an easy target.

1,341 posts
8,858 battles

This keeps happening, and it's driving me nuts. I was in a fully upgraded Langley, when an enemy Langley fighter squadron decided to engage my fighters less than minute into the battle. Since my fighters are fully upgraded, it should be an even match right (both squadrons are from the same ship)? No. In just 40 seconds, my whole fighter squad had vaporized, and I only managed to take down one of his fighters.

Maybe you were engaging his fighters over a high AA enemy ship? At the start of the match, always check and make a note of which enemy ships have good AA and avoid engaging over them. Also did you get the Air Groups Modification upgrade  and the Aircraft Servicing Expert skill for your Captain? If not, then that could explain it.

Now his remaining 5 fighters are going for my two other helpless squads. And even though they were above 5 or so tightly packed friendlies, none of them were shot down by any anti-air. Now that I'm defenseless, the enemy's torpedo squad finishes me off in one salvo of torpedoes (I have fully upgraded anti-air gunners in crews). The on board AI anti-air did not shoot down any planes, and Langley + 6 Torpedoes = dead.

Maybe those friendlies had little to no AA? Not surprising as in the low tiers most ships do not have good AA. Heck, some don't even have AA guns at all! Make it a point to check the team lists during the loading screen. You don't want a case where you fly over a friendly ship for help, only to find that his AA consists of somebody using a pistol to shoot down planes.

While dogfighting can be a bit RNG based, there are ways to tip the scales in your favour.

1,105 posts

this is just me or langley are is so ez

no strafe..... brainlessly right click enemy fighter

right click enemy ship to deal 20K damage without worry of AADF

too bad langley cannt Yolo.. no secodary and TOO SLOW -_-

btw, its look like enemy must Have AS skill (7planes) it can explain why your plane got destroyed. or you just forget to buy t4 fighter

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Also, there is something very interesting.

If you click on the enemy fighter squadron first, for some magical reason, the enemy squadron will lose. I have no idea why this is happening, must be some weird mechanic that no one knows about

8 posts
374 battles

Also, there is something very interesting.

If you click on the enemy fighter squadron first, for some magical reason, the enemy squadron will lose. I have no idea why this is happening, must be some weird mechanic that no one knows about

I had a suspicion of this, which is why I tried to fly over the tightly packed friendlies before engaging.

this is just me or langley are is so ez

no strafe..... brainlessly right click enemy fighter

right click enemy ship to deal 20K damage without worry of AADF

too bad langley cannt Yolo.. no secodary and TOO SLOW -_-

btw, its look like enemy must Have AS skill (7planes) it can explain why your plane got destroyed. or you just forget to buy t4 fighter

The torpedo bombers on the Langley are quite great, hardly any BBs can out-maneuver them. I don't think the enemy had 7 planes though, he had one plane down, and I counted 5 planes still alive. 

You've got 18 battles in the Langley I'd say his commander has more skills than yours which will give his fighters a definite advantage in a straight up dog fight. Because you don't have the option of using strafe you can't engage his fighters and have to hope that ally AA is strong enough to give you any chance whilst also hoping that the other player will be dumb enough to fight under friendly AA.

So don't rely on the other player being stupid avoid fighting his fighters when possible and strike ships as far away from his fighters as you can. Attack with dive bombers first hope for fire then follow up with torpedoes after they used repair.

If your taking 6 torps in one hit you must be stationary. You need to be moving and you should be turning your bow into their planes when they strike. Don't be an easy target.

Thanks for your replies. His commander must have had more skills, but isn't this just unfair on beginner Langleys? His fighters didn't even seem to care about the 5 friendlies swarming below (it was just 1 minute into the game), or he must have been too experienced. I was slowly following the group, but I headed to towards some cover behind some islands. With my fighters down, there was nothing I could do to defend myself against his torp and dive bombers. 

8 posts
374 battles

Another problem. This time my fighters won't even listen to me! Why are they engaging the enemy recon plane, when I asked them to target the enemy fighters that just took down my whole torpedo squadron?! They engaged an enemy recon plane for like 2 minutes without killing it while the enemy fighters killed my whole torpedo squadron. Now the enemy fighters are picking them off while they are doing nothing.

Here is a screenshot:

C8D3YNc.png

You can clearly see that I didn't ask them to attack the enemy recon plane. The "attack" icon is over the fighters, but they chose to defy my orders and engage the recon plane while the enemy fighters picked them off! Is this treason, or some mysterious game mechanic I don't know about?

What's going on? Everything feels so un-intuitive, or maybe I'm just a noob.

1,386 posts
8,232 battles

Another problem. This time my fighters won't even listen to me! Why are they engaging the enemy recon plane, when I asked them to target the enemy fighters that just took down my whole torpedo squadron?! They engaged an enemy recon plane for like 2 minutes without killing it while the enemy fighters killed my whole torpedo squadron. Now the enemy fighters are picking them off while they are doing nothing.

Here is a screenshot:

C8D3YNc.png

You can clearly see that I didn't ask them to attack the enemy recon plane. The "attack" icon is over the fighters, but they chose to defy my orders and engage the recon plane while the enemy fighters picked them off! Is this treason, or some mysterious game mechanic I don't know about?

What's going on? Everything feels so un-intuitive, or maybe I'm just a noob.

What your fighter squadron is engaging is another fighter. This is the icon of a catapult fighter plane. Catapult planes are launched from a cruiser or battleship, fighter to provided some AA defenses, and  spotter to provide an alternative view together with extended main gun range. Both type of planes automatically fly around the ship that launched it and can not be manually controlled.

In this case, this catapult fighter is launched from that Kuma.

Edited by _Halcyon

8 posts
374 battles

What your fighter squadron is engaging is another fighter. This is the icon of a catapult fighter plane. Catapult planes are launched from a cruiser or battleship, fighter to provided some AA defenses, and  spotter to provide an alternative view together with extended main gun range. Both type of planes automatically fly around the ship that launched it and can not be manually controlled.

In this case, this catapult fighter is launched from that Kuma.

Oh gosh. That's must be why. Do they automatically engage the fighter? My fighters were stuck there for about 2 minutes while my torpedo squadron got wiped out. 

1,386 posts
8,232 battles

Oh gosh. That's must be why. Do they automatically engage the fighter? My fighters were stuck there for about 2 minutes while my torpedo squadron got wiped out. 

Catapult fighters automatically engage whatever gets near them. Although manual selection of air group by the catapult fighter's owner can make the catapult fighter target the selected group unless it's dogfighting a fighter.

Edited by _Halcyon

Super Tester
813 posts
3,912 battles

i dunno about that... my dog seems to like being bribed to be quiet....

Your dog is sentient.....

Note: sorry, last off topic post

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles

You have to move around your fighter squads near friendly ships so that their AA bubble can cover your fighters. Never lock in or go near catapult fighters (they are shown with a smaller and different icons) unless the situation is in your favor. Langley fighters are the best! But doesn't mean you will always win.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

AA is a lottery in this game; hell, this game is a lottery World of RNG. Glad to see it's still shit. welldone devs

Red ink. Post edited. User already sanctioned.

~dead_man_walking

Edited by dead_man_walking

1,386 posts
8,232 battles

AA is a lottery in this game; hell, this game is a lottery World of RNG. Glad to see it's still shit. welldone devs

Isn't red ink only for mods?

Quote updated.

~dead_man_walking

Edited by dead_man_walking