You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
drakon233

are BBs OP (let's put it up to a vote)

are high tier(T8-10) BBs are OP? yes/no  

82 members have voted

1. 1. read title

41 comments in this topic

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

since i dont have the time tonight to reply to a certain forum member about a argument in the other thread tonight i'll just put this poll out and see the opinion of you citizens of Asia server, are BBs OP or not, leave your opinions in the below section if you want

Edited by drakon233

[BOTES]
438 posts
3,955 battles

Please do not use phrases like "a certain person/ member" as a pointer towards specific persons. It's an ugly form of undue passive aggressiveness. 

Edited by 9mm1n

525 posts
7,946 battles

my opinion, only one ship so far i can say are OP, and that is Belfast and Black (i hate you belfast, because of you i stopped playing ranked), i only consider a certain ship stronger than the other, BBs are very strong yes, but i don't consider them OP, at least not in Asia, where the meta is kiting meta.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

Please do not use phrases like "a certain person/ member" as a pointer towards specific persons. It's an ugly form of undue passive aggressiveness. 

because i dont want to point names and im not sure that i can, but i wanted to move the argument from that post because it was getting a low off topic from the OP's post and i wanted the person i am referring to to move the argument to this thread, i apologize if it causes offense

1,386 posts
8,230 battles

Always gonna be a war whenever a "is (ship type here) OP" thread come out.

Hope someone can provide me some potatoes to DevStrike and some Izumoes to burn.

But I do want to remind these things

1. Keep in mind that tier should always be taken into account when having a discussion like this.

2. Battleships are most certainly underpowered in one aspect, spotting.

Edited by _Halcyon

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

alright, i'll change the poll a bit then

limited to T8+ where BBs cant overmatch eachother

Edited by drakon233

525 posts
7,946 battles

"I don't care just gib me an izumo to burn" option plz :3

it's the meh option, that's why i picked that ;3

[BOTES]
438 posts
3,955 battles

Back on topic, Battleship is indeed a very strong class of vehicle in World of Warships as they're characterized with the strong endurance, high damage output, and above all, tolerance for mistakes. And these strengths has evidently caused the Battleships to outclass the other classes albeit the supposed weakness and thereby counterplay against them. These points has been elaborated by certain forum posters in a certain thread.

On a side-note, there are more things in Heaven and Seas than "this ships is underpowered" and "OP, pls nerf". The world exist not in a polarised black and white photograph, and equally not in a grey-scaled picture either. 

1,340 posts
8,848 battles

I don't know if BBs are OP or not, but I sure do like to burn them! :P

Seriously though, while I don't think they are any more OP compared to other classes, I do think they are slightly more forgiving to play, thanks to their thick armour, large health pool and Repair Party. That doesn't really mean they are easy to play, just that mistakes made are a bit less punishing. Just my $0.02.

294 posts
2,997 battles

When I drive them, they are both torpedo magnets and soaked in gasoline. When I face them, they are made of adamantine and have 80% resist to fire. That being said, I still love them to bits and probably wish they were the only class in the game so you could have honorable duels between two battlecruisers rather than get ambushed by a DD ninja while you are facing another BB. Ofcourse I understand the game would becoming a bit repetitive and not so interesting anymore so I just keep my wish to myself. That being said, any ship is OP in the right hands so I chose "meh".

Edited by LonerPrime

440 posts
3,379 battles

I wouldn't really call them OP, just that they're supposed to be what seems to be OP, big guns and thick armour. I mean, that's like saying DDs are weak because they have thin armour and small caliber guns. OP for me is a player who knows how to maximize the potential of his/her ship to the fullest.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Nope. Very situational.

In group? It's not OP, it's called good teamwork gonna rekt your broken divided team.

From my signature: "There's no such thing as best ship, only skilled player."

[LNA]
1,660 posts
10,438 battles

since i dont have the time tonight to reply to a certain forum member about a argument in the other thread tonight i'll just put this poll out and see the opinion of you citizens of Asia server, are BBs OP or not, leave your opinions in the below section if you want

Daikon san ,  I think BB themselves are OP when they GET to fire and damage any other classes other than themselves. Thing is , BB is an unsightly class that is extremely threatening to other beings while being meh when facing themselves.

Most of the times the salt come from the fact that pen and overpen will cause significant damage to dd , cit pen will annihilate CA. BB does alot to those classes but against themselves ... not much unless broadside.

BB are very tolerant of mistakes thats why many keep those mistakes they are supposed to learn when moving to other ships. End of my line.

Rant : do something to those BB that run at first salvo traded and both side are more or less the same in strength :angry:

[LYNMF]
463 posts
10,384 battles

What's so OP about BB?!

Sure missouri have radar but it still need to get close to use it and it sure don't have SMOKE !!!

and I won't rant about other class, it's about BB here :P

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

Pointless poll that doesn't affirm anything, since:

1. The language is loaded to begin with. Last night's thread involved people arguing that BBs were easier to play and were more forgiving of mistakes compared to other classes. Not "OP". The two concepts are completely different from another, and are not equivalent by any means. By misrepresenting the argument and going for the argumentum ad absurdum tactic, you've already poisoned the well.
  2. You're not going to get any sample size greater than 300, I'm willing to wager. I'm not sure if you've learned basic statistics in school, but you're not going to get statistically significant results from such a small sample. Not to mention, you'd be definitely dealing with volunteer bias from a select group of vocal forumites as well. Remember, telephone polls predicted that Hillary Clinton would win the presidency.
  3. Battleships are popular. That's a fact of life; players are drawn to big ships with cool guns. From a sociological viewpoint there will be more players defending their favourite class, however that doesn't mean that they'd do so in the best interests of game mechanics balance.
  4. The majority of any online community suffers from the Dunning–Kruger effect.

I don't even know what you are trying to achieve through this.

1,105 posts

BB are not actually OP....

WG Keep nerfing other ship, that is why BB is KEEP STRONG!

1.no invisfire from CA and DD

2.CV nerf in lower tier, in high tier most BB have insane AA

3. secondary build, with adrenaline rush...... RIP DD

4. and other nerf

CV should be the most OP ship in the game.....NOT BB

460 posts
8,295 battles

They aren't OP and not as forgiving as you might think.

If you are caught out of position you could.

1. get citadeled by a flanking BB, who will be accurate and will take a significant chunk of your HP pool.

2. get burned by people hiding behind islands or in smoke (at least now they can't do it in the open) Some games you will burn almost the entire game.

3. fall victim to torpedoes, sometimes fired by a DD from stealth.

4. run headlong into a larger group of enemies and be unable to escape, you can't stealth up and running away exposes your broadside see 1. Also US BBs do not have the speed until T8, making this more difficult.

5. CVs use you for their food, until the BBs that have a decent AA suite.

You have to plan for all that stuff well in advance, there is no seat of your pants escape option from most of these most of the time.

That being said they can also be exceptionally strong.

1. properly angled they can deflect lots of AP damage.

2. They can delete cruisers with well aimed salvoes.

3. Secondary guns can rain shells on anyone who comes too close (looking at you Bismark :-) )

4. They can survive a battering much longer.

5. even when you don't citadel a ship your AP can totally wreck them if you score a ton of hits.

However until the recent patch they weren't that important in whether you won a game or not. The DDs were basically completely dominant in the objective meta, if you had good DD players you had a good chance of winning. You couldn't say that about BBs. Now DDs aren't so dominant in the objective I suspect that both CL/CA and BBs will have a better chance of playing the objective. I've noticed in a few of my games that cruisers are surviving better, but I've not played enough to really know for sure.

1,068 posts
3,847 battles

The problems isn't OP BB,its UP players in anything!

Most players:

Have no Situational Awareness ( the personal skill,NOT the ex captain skill )

Don't know how to read the mini map

Don't know how to use WASD hacks

Don't know how to NOT show broadside ( usually while stopped or reversing! )

BB just happen to be able to let them survive long enough to make a few credits and XP so they can keep playing while not doing the above.

1. Battleships are popular. That's a fact of life; players are drawn to big ships with cool guns. From a sociological viewpoint there will be more players defending their favourite class, however that doesn't mean that they'd do so in the best interests of game mechanics balance.

This seem to be ignored by a lot of people,including WG.BB are the glamour ships and always have been.When you tie that in with the German BB release last year which is one of the most popular lines,plus them being the first new BB line since launch and fun to play you are going to have a lot of people playing them.

I can't wait for the RN BB to drop,and watch WG and all the haters start making up excuses and trying to nerf them even further! ( Hood should be a good test,with all the Hood buyers out to pay,and all the Bismarck players out to sink them! )

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,859 battles

Depends on the nation.

The USN high tiers BB is the least forgiving of all. Getting caught overextending within permanent concealment range with the full attentions from enemy BBs is one of the most crappy experience to be in.

You bow-tank and reverse your way out: Large quantity of HE spams, DD walls of skills, Yamato lopens you, Enemy BB got your flank and deletes you with multi-cits.

You make a turn to "safety": Expect at least double-citadel worth of damage mid-turn if you are lucky, but would usually end up with 3/4 of your health disappear in a blink of an eye, if not outright deletion.

You yolo rush: 50/50 outcome. Either RNG being on your side and you took 2-3 ships with you, or get deleted by Torps/Broadside shots from the other flank.

Can't speak for the other lines though since I have not unlocked T8+ IJN/German BBs.

43 posts
6,031 battles

In my opinion it's between "Yes" and "NO".

BB's are slightly OP, such as:

- Too many HP in high tier (7-10) with armor compare to CA. The CA must take too much time to sink BB even do burning them (with risk many citadel shot return).

- Rudder shift time and engine accelerate not too slow, they can do a little kite for improve angle or "W" and "S" too evade some bullet or

even evade guessed torpedo.

This a little OP's to cover their weak-point the heavy depend on "RNG"

1) One-on-One situation, BBs are too much depend on RNG: They can one shot anything with 1 salvo (even AP on DD),or cannot do any significant damage in entire game (miss-water/over-pen even below 10 KM). DD are not too very dangerous for BB, if they know approximate DD location and guess torp direction. They cannot do search and destroy DD mode (except some BB) just leave DD alone and go to other target.

2) Team situation, it's up too play style: but in ASIA meta trend to kite and snipe as other people said, they don't help other too much in fend off enemy for team to cap or tank some damage for team. The problem is sniping is very depend on super RNG even already do the best aim, will the bullet hit?, will the salvo with good dispersion (spread)?, will they go not to over-pen?, and will they lite fire (If use HE)?

Many player may feel it OP because this RNG, they can one shot anything or they can citadel me in 15KM even bow position.

For me, some time RNG on BB goes stupid such as: Salvo for Bismark at 8KM target: 4 of bullet goes to water and 4 of bullet go to superstructure (over-pen). Or 40 HE spam from BB do not lite any fire in game.

Edited by TSilverwing