You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LordTyphoon

Consistency when playing DDs

22 comments in this topic

980 posts
12,617 battles

How does everyone manage to score 100k+ damage games consistently in destroyers?

I often get games where I get killed outright at the very start of a game by a stray torpedo while trying to cap, and that puts a massive damper on my stats in destroyers for the rest of the day. 

I'm at the stage where I'm okay with destroyers, but I can't just seem to do consistently well in them. Either very good games or very bad games most of the time. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

[-SZY-]
211 posts

Survive, go for damage, don't do risky move, don't try sacrifice oneself for team unless it is guaranteed good result

That's my advice but I'm too still struggling to keep up my avg damage, feel free to criticise and correct me

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

How I play my IJN DDs:

1. cap (because that's all you'll ever do if the enemy BBs know how to WASD or stay so far back your torpedoes cannot reach them)

2. torp enemy smoke

3. think about where the enemy DDs will enter the caps from and blind fire there (or where you think you will enter from)

Remember the DDs that people complain about, not being team players and such? It pays to be a little selfish.

980 posts
12,617 battles

How I play my IJN DDs:

1. cap (because that's all you'll ever do if the enemy BBs know how to WASD or stay so far back your torpedoes cannot reach them)

2. torp enemy smoke

3. think about where the enemy DDs will enter the caps from and blind fire there (or where you think you will enter from)

Remember the DDs that people complain about, not being team players and such? It pays to be a little selfish.

I do the above. A lot. If I can't damage I will cap. 

But is that normal? Sometimes to get games where you hit lots of small targets, or no targets for that matter,  for minuscule amounts of damage but good supporting XP,  and other times where you torpedo battleships over and over again. 

Then I go on WoWS statistics and there in big fat red numbers is a 'bad' rating for the damage I accumulated that game. 

It just doesn't feel right because every YouTube video out there by the community contributors shows them doing standard DD roles (smoking allies, DD killing, capping, spotting) AS WELL AS racking up significant damage numbers. I just can't seem to get it right. 

Any advice to help me git gud would be appreciated. 

In relation to people complaining about DDs, I experienced this heavily last night. I was criticised for almost everything I did. 

I'm in my 'stock' Lebrecht Maass' spotting for my team. They are all camping behind Islands around a cap circle. Two enemy DDs show ip in the cap circle. I hold fire as I have to spot and don't like getting focused on. One of the battleships write 'noob DD, why don't u attack enemy DDs'. Ignoring the comment, I keep on spotting, until a enemy Missouri shows up, radars me, and I run. A different person in chat this time goes 'noob DD, why are you running, you are useless why you no spot for us.' Note that all of my team were STILL hiding either behind islands or their own smoke. Needless to say, I got wrecked and died with zero damage. More resulting 'noob/coward dd' remarks. 

How am I supposed to spot, tank damage, torpedo AND cap at the same time? I feel there is a lack of knowledge around how to play DDs in thr WoWS community. 

307 posts
6,413 battles

But is that normal? Sometimes to get games where you hit lots of small targets, or no targets for that matter,  for minuscule amounts of damage but good supporting XP,  and other times where you torpedo battleships over and over again. 

Then I go on WoWS statistics and there in big fat red numbers is a 'bad' rating for the damage I accumulated that game. 

It just doesn't feel right because every YouTube video out there by the community contributors shows them doing standard DD roles (smoking allies, DD killing, capping, spotting) AS WELL AS racking up significant damage numbers. I just can't seem to get it right. 

In relation to people complaining about DDs, I experienced this heavily last night. I was criticised for almost everything I did. 

I'm in my 'stock' Lebrecht Maass' spotting for my team. They are all camping behind Islands around a cap circle. Two enemy DDs show ip in the cap circle. I hold fire as I have to spot and don't like getting focused on. One of the battleships write 'noob DD, why don't u attack enemy DDs'. Ignoring the comment, I keep on spotting, until a enemy Missouri shows up, radars me, and I run. A different person in chat this time goes 'noob DD, why are you running, you are useless why you no spot for us.' Note that all of my team were STILL hiding either behind islands or their own smoke. Needless to say, I got wrecked and died with zero damage. More resulting 'noob/coward dd' remarks. 

How am I supposed to spot, tank damage, torpedo AND cap at the same time? I feel there is a lack of knowledge around how to play DDs in thr WoWS community. 

You explaining players who have a lack of knowledge of what other ships can do and a lack of understanding of what a German DD would appear to the enemy when he fires?  This says more about them than it does about you.  German DD's have a insane detection after firing as you know .... however once detected ... fire away,   Use your torps as defense.  In terms of youtube vids, you will only see the good games right? Even the best of players will have a bad day, and these vids should be shown as well :ohmy:.    If the BB's WASD and they stay miles away, the key is to move around  the map.   They saw you at C but you stealth up to A and then drop your torps, this will work.   However it is hard with capping zones and getting any hits with your torps in the higher Tiers.   

520 posts
11,127 battles

Lately, i have been getting somewhere from 24000 to 35000 damage playing US and German DDS, using guns mostly.  i cap first, or contest cap before assisting to damage enemy ships.

Unfortunately, it is a struggle to stay alive during the 1st minutes of the game,specially in HIGH DD environments.  But, once most ships have been spotted.... that when Torping and Ambushes can do lots of damage.  Averaging 40000 to 80000 

[BRU]
279 posts
2,079 battles

I usually do around 20-40k dmg on average with my RU/US/German DDs in my other account, mostly by guns. I don't mind not getting 100k damage all the time, as long as I did something valuable or important to help win the game.

As long as you do things to help the team win and you're at the right place at the right time, it's all good.

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

How does everyone manage to score 100k+ damage games consistently in destroyers?

Unless you Khabarovsk, you don't

You play DDs for objectives, not damage.

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

You can still get good XP for just capping. I had a Kagerou game where all I did was 19k but capped multiple capture point and gotten first place in XP. For the comments, people expect more of gunboats than IJN DDs, so that could be why I haven't gotten any complains yet. As for high damage, I never get those unless battleships doesn't know what WASD is.

What you need to first know as a DD player is EVERY DD concealment with CE (+ module if they have it) and check the scoreboard for which DD the enemy team have and plan accordingly. Know which DDs can spot you and which you can spot. If you know you can spot a few, you can play more aggressively and vice versa. You can't do anything about BBs/CAs hiding around corners except for torpping them, but people don't know that torpedoes aren't like shells, they don't plunge so just ignore them. There's no counter for radar too, so just run. You cannot defend against a radar cruiser hiding behind an island you while the enemy DD hides in their smokes peppering you, just give up the cap at that point.

Video Contributor
2,266 posts
10,789 battles

After remove invisi-firing 

I played Shimakaze on tear of desert epicenter mode

Fletcher on 5.7 km!! OMG i'm dead

He didn't shoot me....(shoot for what just spot and run is better than shoot and detect up to 10km+)

Friendlies shot Fletcher lel

Found another DD! Shot it! Runaway! 

Akizuki and Sea of no luck no fortune no point no wahtever(ok I hate this map)

Go front smoke cap ok! Hello torpedobeat404notfound.gif bye~

307 posts
6,413 battles

I usually do around 20-40k dmg on average with my RU/US/German DDs in my other account, mostly by guns. I don't mind not getting 100k damage all the time, as long as I did something valuable or important to help win the game.

As long as you do things to help the team win and you're at the right place at the right time, it's all good.

Funny thing with DD's my win rate has gone up as my damage rate goes down.  I used to YOLO a lot and sink more ships, these days i am doing less damage around the 20-50k range which according to my stats means i am going backwards, i did try to be more aggressive with my Benson only the other night, got 126k damage but we lost.  But my winrate has increased by about 4%.... so this tells me that i am doing the right things .... basically keeping opponents out of the cap zones.    
Edited by Burnt_Out_Koalas

980 posts
12,617 battles

Funny thing with DD's my win rate has gone up as my damage rate goes down.  I used to YOLO a lot and sink more ships, these days i am doing less damage around the 20-50k range which according to my stats means i am going backwards, i did try to be more aggressive with my Benson only the other night, got 126k damage but we lost.  But my winrate has increased by about 4%.... so this tells me that i am doing the right things .... basically keeping opponents out of the cap zones.    

Hmm alright. So I guess low damage/high XP games in certain destroyers isn't that poor then! 

And also I suppose the inconsistency in damage is also normal. 

Edited by LordTyphoon

307 posts
6,413 battles

Hmm alright. So I guess low damage/high XP games in certain destroyers isn't that poor then! 

Well it seems to be the case in the higher Tiered games.  You get more experience capping zones and defending them and focus your kills on other DD's, its very map-situational in the Higher tiers.  If you can get around your enemy DD's or attack from a side or from them coming around an island will get you the Damage.  But these guys have more tools in terms of radar, spotter aircraft and they tend to sit further behind the lines.  Besides the maps are HUGE and the BB are much quicker/agile which makes it harder for you to get closer to them, I would like to see more time added in these games as plenty of games the side with less ships wins the game cause they are more aggressive in holding the caps and it takes forever to reach a different zone.   It seems that if you do not go for kills or dmg but for positioning gets you the wins and the XP.  Go for the kills gets you behind in points more dmg of course but less wins.    This is what i have been experiencing.

[BRU]
279 posts
2,079 battles

I think getting high damage on DDs is a result of RnGesus, the enemy situation, your location at a certain moment and skills all agreeing with you. I rarely get >50k damage on DDs.
Edited by EJL

[-SZY-]
211 posts

I think getting high damage on DDs is a result of RnGesus, the enemy situation, your location at a certain moment and skills all agreeing with you. I rarely get >50k damage on DDs.

Imo VMF DD has best consistency for damage dealing but worst capping capability(compared to other nation DD)

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

It is better to do 40k damage on enemy DDs than 100k damage on a single kurfust

so true

40k dmg to enemy DD must should be around 2.3k++ base experience. and lots of credits

Avrg Exp is more important imo

Edited by humusz

Super Tester
7,567 posts
8,001 battles

Only player I know who can do this is Suzy with her Shimakaze. Where did you get your info. Most people are around 40k-60k average. Not 100k.

Also, not all destroyers are made to deal damage (sadly stat sites won't realize that). Go VMF if you want damage.

[_BST_]
[_BST_]
250 posts
12,902 battles

Try and survive as long as you can and take advantage of the opportunities when they arise.  If things don't go well,  retreat if you can. I really should follow my own advice :read_fish:

Ignore BBs who want you to spot or be a decoy for them while they hide in the background - they're always asking for support but rarely will they support CA or DDs - they're simply just waiting to lob a killing salvo into an already damaged ship in most cases.

Super Tester
7,567 posts
8,001 battles

Try and survive as long as you can and take advantage of the opportunities when they arise.  If things don't go well,  retreat if you can. I really should follow my own advice :read_fish:

Ignore BBs who want you to spot or be a decoy for them while they hide in the background - they're always asking for support but rarely will they support CA or DDs - they're simply just waiting to lob a killing salvo into an already damaged ship in most cases.

But that is important for a win. It will take an eternity to kill a BB with a brain. You need your team to do it for you. If they have to tell you that, you are already a bad DD player.

1,386 posts
8,246 battles

Some people just don't understand BB gameplay. What you are expecting is equal to letting a cruiser go ahead of destroyer when going capping. You are demanding feeding gameplay which should not be executed by anyone who has basic understanding of different positioning of different ships. While it seem that BBs are positioning themselves behind, they are already taking up a lot of damage and at that position, experienced BB players are already close enough to do their responsibility.

And the selfishness I see from your post reminded me of a certain Fletcher I met yesterday. I was in my Neptune, decided to go smoke and delete the three cruisers coming towards me. The Fletcher then decided to go into my smoke to pew pew. Which basically means letting those cruisers go away unharmed because they get undetected. They would have been deleted by Mark N5's superior firepower. That could have killed the battle, but my effort and a teammate Edinburgh's brave sacrifice in defending the cap won the battle. What about the Fletcher? Nothing but selfish pewpew. He didn't deserve that victory. That game was carried by the combined effort of my Neptune, Edinburgh and Benson. That Fletcher, being in arguably the best T9 DD, with four kill steals, still fall short in EXP to Edinburgh which is a pretty meh ship, and Benson who get concentrated all the time.

Edited by _Halcyon

Super Tester
7,567 posts
8,001 battles

Some people are used to selfish plays. Mostly Ijn DD and CA players. You know your team is doomed when your dds go spamming enemy ships avoiding objective or enemy dds. It is always easy to blame BBs. But the thing is, playing BB requires brain, he spamming does not.