Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
seiji09

DYNAMIC LOADOUTS for Aircraft Carriers

10 comments in this topic

[SGC]
197 posts
10,285 battles

I got a suggestion to improve CV gameplay:
What if we actually remove the concept of fixed loadouts, so CV players will actually start with no squadrons at all?
Instead, THE PLAYER will determine which squad composition he will go for, like in RTS games!

And that's not all - you will also have the option to "swap" squadrons by storing said squad in the "hangar" and launch an alternative squad to your liking; you can swap w squads once the squad you want to replace has returned to the CV, and "swap time" would be equivalent to servicing time if not slightly longer. Squadrons automatically get rearmed and restored once in the hangar, and if you lose a squad you have the option to either deploy stored squads or launch a different squad type of your own liking.

Going the extra mile, we can even add the option to queue up numbers of squads of each type ahead of time while you're controlling your launched squadrons, ready to be swapped at any given notice. However, you still have to take into account reserves to replace lost planes, and each squad would cost credits.

IMO CV gameplay becomes more dynamic this way; turning CV battles into a chess game. 

For example: 
CV1 goes full spam on TBs;
CV2 finds out and launches a full spam of fighters instead.
CV1 realizes this and sends some of his TBs back and store them in the hangar; replaces them with fighters
CV2 spots an ambushing DD; replaces some of his FTs with DBs to intercept it; DD was eliminated; swapped DBs with TBs to engage BBs

so on and so forth~

If a similar system gets implemented it might get RTS players to try CVs, and eliminating the fixed loadout-based system could also prevent "one-sided" CV matches caused by a mismatch in loadouts.

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

IMO CV gameplay becomes more dynamic this way; turning CV battles into a chess game. 

For example: 
CV1 goes full spam on TBs;
CV2 finds out and launches a full spam of fighters instead.
CV1 realizes this and sends some of his TBs back and store them in the hangar; replaces them with fighters
CV2 spots an ambushing DD; replaces some of his FTs with DBs to intercept it; DD was eliminated; swapped DBs with TBs to engage BBs

so on and so forth~

Could this end up with the CVs constantly recalling their planes to replace them to one-up the opposition CV?

And then nothing else gets done with regard to damaging enemy ships?

[SGC]
197 posts
10,285 battles

Could this end up with the CVs constantly recalling their planes to replace them to one-up the opposition CV?

And then nothing else gets done with regard to damaging enemy ships?

we could shorten the swapping time, or the CV captain sails closer to the main fleet to maximize its influence while having himself defended by a shit ton of allied ships.

You can also swap the squad which has already completed its attack run as well. For example, you might as well have your TBs finish their attack run first before you swap them with either DBs or FTs depending on the situation.

Sides, if the squad dies you can launch another squad type of your liking as well - could be the same squad that got shot down, or a squad type that can counter the threat.

Edited by seiji09

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,859 battles

If this were to happen, the loadout swap should be reflecting the planes that are carried since the game start.

For example:

If you go full AS and have no TB, you will not be able to launch TB for the rest of the game while you may have extra DB squadrons.

If you go general-purpose loadout, you could switch to full strike, but you may not have as many tries as the full strike loadout when the planes get shot down.

318 posts
6,866 battles

I would say that they have to have 1 base Fighter Squadron which is mandatory for all CV's.

The remaining Squadrons can be recalled as/when is needed but a penalty should be imposed on top of the rearming of the unit.

Example ( I'm not familiar with service times so please bare with me ).

Mandatory Fighters would be exempt from a penalty.

CV : Mandatory Fighters + 1 Squadron of Fighters + 2 D Bombers. = 20 seconds to ready.

CV : Changes to 2 Squadron of Fighters and 1 D Bomber = 20 seconds service + 5 seconds penalty = 25 seconds until take off.

CV : Changes reverts back to original load out = 20 seconds service + 10 seconds penalty = 30 seconds until take off.

So for each change +5 seconds is imposed, and with no max cap time. This will deter Captains from making excessive changes as they will very little reward from the match, and also make the player question their own decisions per load out, therefor make every choice they make an important one. 

[SGC]
197 posts
10,285 battles

If this were to happen, the loadout swap should be reflecting the planes that are carried since the game start.

For example:

If you go full AS and have no TB, you will not be able to launch TB for the rest of the game while you may have extra DB squadrons.

If you go general-purpose loadout, you could switch to full strike, but you may not have as many tries as the full strike loadout when the planes get shot down.

You don't start with any particular loadout, but you will have all three squad types available and you can choose and even change your composition throughout the battle.

Think of Dawn of War or StarCraft 2, where you can have access to all the available units, but only limited w a squad cap/supply.

Unless of course, the in-game CV literally has no access to one type of squad (like some US CVs? correct me if I'm wrong).

I would say that they have to have 1 base Fighter Squadron which is mandatory for all CV's.

The remaining Squadrons can be recalled as/when is needed but a penalty should be imposed on top of the rearming of the unit.

Example ( I'm not familiar with service times so please bare with me ).

Mandatory Fighters would be exempt from a penalty.

CV : Mandatory Fighters + 1 Squadron of Fighters + 2 D Bombers. = 20 seconds to ready.

CV : Changes to 2 Squadron of Fighters and 1 D Bomber = 20 seconds service + 5 seconds penalty = 25 seconds until take off.

CV : Changes reverts back to original load out = 20 seconds service + 10 seconds penalty = 30 seconds until take off.

So for each change +5 seconds is imposed, and with no max cap time. This will deter Captains from making excessive changes as they will very little reward from the match, and also make the player question their own decisions per load out, therefor make every choice they make an important one. 

Yeah I think it's a good idea to have 1 mandatory FT squad early game so the CV can help with recon, but I think it doesn't necessarily have to be un-swappable. You can swap it w a DB or TB later on if you go full-strike, though meta-wise I think CV captains would keep at least 1 FT squad flying for most of the match anyway~ The incremental increase in rearming time would also prevent CV captains from abusing the system; was thinking of that issue when I first made the suggestion, but couldn't come up with any ideas to counter it.

Edited by seiji09

Sign in to follow this