Sign in to follow this  
Strodecas

How to Zuiho? Newb here!

8 comments in this topic

16 posts
223 battles

So far I'm enjoying the Hosho and I currently have the Zuiho now. Might I ask for any tips and tricks for this mighty CV? It's strengths and weakness? Thanks in advance! 

980 posts
12,617 battles

Learn to manual drop while you can - with the CV rework, you won't be able to learn manual drop soon until you get to tier 6.

After that, grind to the Ryujo as soon as possible since Zuiho and Hosho won't be that fun anymore. 

Plenty of manual drop guides available on YouTube. 

Then learn to 'flood and burn' to farm witherer. 

[BRU]
279 posts
2,079 battles

As a former AS Bogue skipper, you must also learn how to distract enemy fighters: not even an AS Bogue can prevent all enemy strikes, if the enemy IJN CV knows where to lure US fighter planes.

Use your fighters to "pin down" (done so by engaging them, keeping the enemy focused on your fighters) enemy fighters who'll try to attack your strike sqaudrons. Though it might change when the option to escape a dogfight arrives.

And also, learn how to strafe now (press Alt when you have fighters selected--a good strafe can seriously cripple USN fighter squadrons), and get the Air Supremacy skill if you can, adds 1 plane for your fighter and divebomber squadrons (so they'll have 5 planes instead of 4).

Edited by EJL

16 posts
223 battles

Awesome! Thanks for the tips! Yeah, I've heard about Tier 4 and 5 CV's will somehow be nerfed due to its restrictions on using manual drops. How can aspiring CV players learn manual drop if the won't be able to practice it? They'll only get seal clubbed by long time high tier CV players. Newcomers will simply don't have a chance at tier 6 and beyond. I seriously don't get how WG got into that conclusion..

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

I assume the idea is to learn the basics at tier IV&V and keep the advanced things for higher tiers.

This makes sense to a degree, however it's actually a huge buff for experienced players of certain tiers.

For example any half decent BB player will laugh at auto dropped torpedoes unless there's other circumstances keeping

the player from dodging the torpedoes. ( For example: DD torpedoes or BB guns waiting for the juicy broadside)

I guess time will show how this effects the low/mid tiers.

[BRU]
279 posts
2,079 battles

I assume the idea is to learn the basics at tier IV&V and keep the advanced things for higher tiers.

This makes sense to a degree, however it's actually a huge buff for experienced players of certain tiers.

For example any half decent BB player will laugh at auto dropped torpedoes unless there's other circumstances keeping

the player from dodging the torpedoes. ( For example: DD torpedoes or BB guns waiting for the juicy broadside)

I guess time will show how this effects the low/mid tiers.

USN torp bombers will get buffs on release distance and the approach radius of auto-dropped torps in 6.3 (i.e., they can auto-drop torps a wee bit closer than before). Not sure if it will help Bogue and Langley players though.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

I haven't tried the PT server, but I doubt that the reduced launch distance will do them any good.

In fact if you're going against an experienced player this'll translate into 1-2 seconds more under AA fire, which for all three techtree BBs

could mean losing another plane or two pre-drop.

Meanwhile the shorter distance (From what I've seen on pictures and videos) won't necessarily increase the hit chance

since the auto drop system can be easily confused by reducing speed while maneuvering.

I do think that both new and experienced players will be able to do even better than before when it comes to Langley and Bogue in terms of Aerial Superiority.

Both Houshou and Zuihou have lost their threat potential against their US equivalents with the loss of the strafing ability.

Of course they're not defenseless, (After all both could do well pre-strafing, too) however against an experienced player, especially

a Bogue player with the Aerial Superiority loadout, they'll quickly lose all aircrafts.

As for balance between these... time will tell.

Sign in to follow this