You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Jeffotherefo

Just how random is random?

11 comments in this topic

13 posts
6,353 battles

Has the team selection algorithm been "massaged" lately?  The last twenty games at least (random battles) whatever tier my ship is is the bottom tier of the fight (ie me tier 4 game 4,5,6, me tier 3 game tier 3,4), it's a tedious complaint I know but how random can it be if you continuously wind up being in the least capable ships?  Additionally, It seems like I'm always in the noob team.  The other side operates with super-human efficiency while my guys inevitably either run away or run into a swarm of enemy ships without support.  In the last twenty or so games I've played, I've been on the winning side once.  Once!  Say what you like but that isn't "random".

While I'm here I can complain about the damage model as well which seems to be bullshit recently.  Second to last game, me in a T4 kuma vs T5 emerald.  I got three citadels on him and did 2000 damage, he hit me with one and I detonated.  Seems to be happening every second or third game, If it was just the once I'd say, oh well too bad, but this is getting monotonous.  Seems like every game now my damage is undergoing a "modifier".

415 posts
10,918 battles

It happens to all of us (just look at my win rate for yesterday) ....Sometimes MM will troll the crap out of you for no reason ... take a break or go beat up on the bots for a bit and get your mojo back ... sometimes just changing ship types will do the trick.

Edited by Storm_Raiser

1,106 posts
7,834 battles

yesterday, I got 5 times - tears of the desert map. in a freaking row, one after another

4 of it were Epicenter

the one that makes it stop, were - I quit to play other games instead

that was pure coincidence, right ? 

yes wargaming,, whatever

[AE]
199 posts
9,466 battles

Its not random. WG has consistently stated that only your tier ship/tank determines the tiers you see in MM. But they have never specifically stated that the people you see are not based on your skill. People in tanks asked for a skill based system for MM for years, but they did introduce "filters" that minimised the chances that a player with over 2500 games would see someone with less. As a result, given that more experienced players tend to play higher tiered tanks, the types of tanks I saw in MM were of higher tier than what I had seen previously. For example, My T49 TD used to see mostly KV1s. After the changes it became mostly KV1Ss and ISs.

When I first started playing the Hermelin was my favourite ship - I loved the AP on it. So I kept playing it, and eventually got AFT on it, allowing me to engage at longer ranges. Only problem was that whereas a month before I was seeing whole teams of tier Is in random battle, it reduced the number of enemy players to usually 1 or 2. There is no way that say 80-90% of all the players playing tier 1 had suddenly stopped playing. I then came to realise that the load screen for MM doesn't state players in your tier, it specifically states "players in your skill range". When I queried the opposing single opponents in random how skilled their captain was, the vast majority had AFT captains. So, increasing your captain skill in tier 1 doesn't mean you own, it means that the MM no longer allows you to see low skilled players. I don't know for sure whether it is based on your "profile" skill level, or the number of skills you have on the captain. I also cant tell for sure if it only effects tier 1 and 2 "kiddies wading pool" matches, or is consistent across the tiers.

So the MM is NOT random. It does take you into account. WG has stated that they were thinking of introducing a system where MM gave you an easy match now and then after a string of losses. Nothing further heard. As you are probably aware, it certainly takes your ship type into consideration, or at least it did. Therefore certain ships will see you get consistently better MM tierage wise.

[AE]
199 posts
9,466 battles

Oh and this isn't tin-foil hat stuff. One tanks player was a mathematician, and he ran a page on the net where he not just proved that "standard deviation" did not allow for the MM he was seeing - ie it was mathematically impossible for the MM games he recorded to be "random, but he also published WG's initial patents online where they described MM as a "system" that ensured players would be "challenged" by stronger MM if they were having a dream run.

Also, by logging into the newest patches where you agree to their terms, you effectively let them control the MM you see, as they see fit.

And, the MM system wants to pull you up if you have a WR lower than average, and push you down to lower WRs if it is higher than average.

13 posts
6,353 battles

Thanks for the replies guys.  Complaining obviously does the trick because when I next went in, -hey presto- winning, supportive, cooperative teams!  It was like a miracle - or something ;D

Flemboy - At a guess I'd say they're totaling ship/captain experience across the teams so experince levels in total are about the same.  Unfortunately, if you've got a boat/captain combination with a lot of xp, that boat/captain will represent the lion's share of the teams experience quota - hence teams that are seemingly full of noobs except for one or two guys.

520 posts
11,126 battles

Oh and this isn't tin-foil hat stuff. One tanks player was a mathematician, and he ran a page on the net where he not just proved that "standard deviation" did not allow for the MM he was seeing - ie it was mathematically impossible for the MM games he recorded to be "random, but he also published WG's initial patents online where they described MM as a "system" that ensured players would be "challenged" by stronger MM if they were having a dream run.

Also, by logging into the newest patches where you agree to their terms, you effectively let them control the MM you see, as they see fit.

And, the MM system wants to pull you up if you have a WR lower than average, and push you down to lower WRs if it is higher than average.

Very interesting....  Right when i have been doing very well improving on my WR by playing my best ships.. All of a sudden, im getting stomped on by seemingly better players..(or maybe its just me getting lax)

if your theory is true, how can we normal players get RNG to favor us?

1,106 posts
7,834 battles

You know there is XVM kind mods, that let you see - players record in your team and enemies

most of the time, it seems distributed the "color" equaly to both teams

however, division and cv player kinda mess whatever wg algorithm were

Either way, Map and spawn point also influence player behavior

1 game, Im in missouri, spawn near me a New orleans, ibuki, and bismarck

our flank got pushed by 2 Yamato, 1 atago, Fletcher and udaloi

our team have 3 DD, all spawn on opposite side of the map, there was nothing we could do - beside being routed and chassed to death

What makes your team goes all potato, also influenced by starting position they given in

[MEGA]
4,562 posts
17,552 battles

Has the team selection algorithm been "massaged" lately?  The last twenty games at least (random battles) whatever tier my ship is is the bottom tier of the fight (ie me tier 4 game 4,5,6, me tier 3 game tier 3,4), it's a tedious complaint I know but how random can it be if you continuously wind up being in the least capable ships?  Additionally, It seems like I'm always in the noob team.  The other side operates with super-human efficiency while my guys inevitably either run away or run into a swarm of enemy ships without support.  In the last twenty or so games I've played, I've been on the winning side once.  Once!  Say what you like but that isn't "random".

While I'm here I can complain about the damage model as well which seems to be bullshit recently.  Second to last game, me in a T4 kuma vs T5 emerald.  I got three citadels on him and did 2000 damage, he hit me with one and I detonated.  Seems to be happening every second or third game, If it was just the once I'd say, oh well too bad, but this is getting monotonous.  Seems like every game now my damage is undergoing a "modifier".

im,more intrested in the part where you clamed go meet T6s in a T4, did tou fail did? if you did then losing is more your fault then anyone else's

2,217 posts
13,678 battles

I'm more interested in the part where you claimed go meet T6s in a T4, did you fail div? If you did then losing is more your fault than anyone else's

FTFY :D