Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LonerPrime

VMF or IJN: Which cruiser line to pursue?

28 comments in this topic

294 posts
2,997 battles

Hello fellow players,

So when I picked up the game few weeks back I screened through the forums so I could pick up tips and tricks when it came to what cruiser would be the right fit for me. After going though them all it boiled down to 2 lines and in the pursuit of finding what suited me best, I decided to go down both the Russian and Japanese cruiser line till tier 5 as suggested by a fair amount of forum denizens. Though now that I have done so, I find myself standing at a crossroad where I am more confused than ever.

Right now I own the Kirov as well as the Furutaka and to be very honest I am doing pretty good in the both of them. The Kirov's quirks like bad handling/limited torps or Furutaka's bad range/atrocious gun rotation, I have adapted to them all and I don't really face any issues adjusting my play style. So now I am in unfamiliar waters where I am lost on my own. My end game goal is pretty much randoms at the moment and going by ship stats, VMF line seem to be doing marginally better. But I do not put much stock in stats and I would rather welcome personal opinions of players in this regard. I understand a lot of good folks would suggest me to go down both lines, but the matter of fact is that I do not have the time or patience to do so as I am also pursuing the DD and BB lines of US and IJN respectively. And unless WG ever decides to add a story focused PVE/raid, I don't ever see myself pursuing more than one of each ship type ever.

So in the end, which line presents more opportunity for play style maturity? Which line is the least stale when it comes to tier accession? Which line of the two is more rewarding when it comes to team support? Even if you have only one line to say, please go ahead and unload your thoughts in this thread as I will take anything at the moment to figure myself out of this predicament.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

LonerPrime

Video Contributor
2,266 posts
10,789 battles

main guns

IJN cruiser is very good accuracy if compare VMF cruiser, VMF is not good accuracy at tier 7 to 10, damage HE of IJN is the best cruiser and chance of fire Zao at 23% by Moskva 22%, but Moskva is the best penetration Moskva can citadel any battleship and any range (19km I have citadel Yamato once time) 

Torpedo

They both quite rarely to use it but range of view VMF is better than IJN, damage IJN is more massive ,faster,further than VMF

Armor

IJN is quite good armor and magic 30mm(on Zao) VMF? Until tier 10 with Stalinium

Range of firing

VMF is winner

Concealment

IJN is good stealth without firing but next patch RIP invisi-firing VMF does not care stealth they usually rapid fire when they detected or found target, Chapayev has lower concealment than radar by 1.5km so if Chapayev detected radar on and pew pew

AA

IJN is better....(only tier 8 Chapayev is better I used to play full AA, maximum 83/100)

Ps

I use ipad to write

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,418 battles

VMF fits well for you requirement and for easy damage dealings

if you do plan on getting the TierX then IJN line would also be a good choice.

Edited by R3negade

294 posts
2,997 battles

VMF.

Hory shiet!! Total respect to all the other folks who gave me their opinions but you sir, wow! A WOWS celebrity graced my call for help thread! I am trying really hard not to sound like a smitten chick but gotta say this: "I know you must get this a lot but I am a fan of your channel." In-fact I subscribed just a few hours before I made this thread. You have no idea how much I have used your videos as my point of reference to improve my game-play, especially aiming. Ironically enough, I learned the Furutaka after watching your "How to Furutaka" video but now here you are suggesting the VMF to me. Honestly I enjoyed the "How to Moskova" video as well so even though it is just three alphabets you wrote, I'll still take your suggestion seriously. Thank you!

main guns

IJN cruiser is very good accuracy if compare VMF cruiser, VMF is not good accuracy at tier 7 to 10, damage HE of IJN is the best cruiser and chance of fire Zao at 23% by Moskva 22%, but Moskva is the best penetration Moskva can citadel any battleship and any range (19km I have citadel Yamato once time) 

Torpedo

They both quite rarely to use it but range of view VMF is better than IJN, damage IJN is more massive ,faster,further than VMF

Armor

IJN is quite good armor and magic 30mm(on Zao) VMF? Until tier 10 with Stalinium

Range of firing

VMF is winner

Concealment

IJN is good stealth without firing but next patch RIP invisi-firing VMF does not care stealth they usually rapid fire when they detected or found target, Chapayev has lower concealment than radar by 1.5km so if Chapayev detected radar on and pew pew

AA

IJN is better....(only tier 8 Chapayev is better I used to play full AA, maximum 83/100)

Ps

I use ipad to write

Thank you for the in-depth and detailed explanation. This helps clear out those minor questions I had in my mind. So according to you, since later tier games are all long range snipe fest, IJN seems to edge out on VMF in this regard. /hmm

VMF fits well for you requirement and for easy damage dealings

if you do plan on getting the TierX then IJN line would also be a good choice.

The VMF's fast firing ability does feel quite attractive but since both tier X cruisers end up with almost the same reload time I feel like both lines are panning out at somewhat same in the end. I wish there was something solid that would put both these ships in a category that would make it easy for me to make a decision. Sadly I am still back at square one.

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,418 battles

The VMF's fast firing ability does feel quite attractive but since both tier X cruisers end up with almost the same reload time I feel like both lines are panning out at somewhat same in the end. I wish there was something solid that would put both these ships in a category that would make it easy for me to make a decision. Sadly I am still back at square one.

For shooting BBs their HE performances are not really big.

Moskva

best firing arc, fastest shell flight time, highest AP pen and performance is more reliable than Zao (possible to citadel hit enemy cruiser a max range and much easier to score cit hits on BB at close).

Radar 25sec @ 11.7km, if you are lucky enough to get the radar upgrade installed it becomes 35sec, pretty easy to destroy a DD in one go.

Really long hull and stiff rudder which makes you want to think twice/plan much forward before maneuvering. AA is joke.

Concealment doesnt exist, but have pretty strong armor at range , just bow in and angle. Immune to Minotaur (Yes, RU Bias)

Can act as down-tiered BB if necessary, as long as no broadside were shown :] 

Most common thing you see on this ship is stay at 15km+ and HE spam BBs.

Zao

stupidly high damage HE shells, both ships fire set chance are high, Zao is slightly even higher if I have to choose one. the 3rd turret firing arc is pretty bad but Zao herself is agile. She also have the most bs amour geometry/scheme which can randomly bounce off BB shells or only doing overpens. You can only survive from CV attack when you have your DFAA on. Torpedo is not that useful as her previous tiers but when you use it it will be nice, good thing is that torpedo room doesnt count as citadel. Best concealment rating aside from Minotaur. When you combine all these stuff Zao is like the only ship that can solo push a position. Go RoF build makes your usual reload time reduce to 11/12seconds. With rudder upgrade the rudder shift time is <4sec lolololololol

Edited by R3negade

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

I cant gave u oppinion cause i suck at cruiser.

Right now i have Mogami and Schors. But both is done after long grinding period.

All i want to say to you is, just enjoy the game. Play the ship you like most in the tier you comfort with.

Reaching tier 10 is not the goal. The goal is to play and have fun. So dont feel ashame if you enjoy a match in tier 5 or 7 and stick with it.

I have play 6k match i think... And i havent play a single match in tier 10. LOL....

980 posts
12,617 battles

I love all cruisers, but I have to say VMF. 

The reward that awaits you (Moskva) is a beast. 

Why don't you want to try KMS cruisers? 

[LYNMF]
991 posts
11,625 battles

why not both? lol

both line are very different so only play one you will miss out on the other

i play all for variety, they all have their cons and pros so not one line is better than the other

if your goal is to reach top tier quick then i would say russian bias cruisers, easy to play with it's gun range and lazerrrrrr guns

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

I may opt to choose the IJN since they're more fun to play with compare to the VMF's biasness...

I like going up close to shoot the hell out of the enemies and then disappear like i never exist when things get tough. Moskva's long range sniping is not for me anyway since it's boring.

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

Russian Cruiser had more DPM potential in general, and favours more mid range HE spamming while kiting.  Basically they are pure DPS.  At high tiers they have radar too, which is pretty useful especially when coordinated with team.  IJN CA grind from T7-9 is quite the same and pretty boring though.  RU cruisers are just more useful in general imo.

But if you are getting T10, then the Zao is actually pretty excellent, like better at DPM than the Moskva.

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

Russian Cruiser had more DPM potential in general, and favours more mid range HE spamming while kiting.  Basically they are pure DPS.  At high tiers they have radar too, which is pretty useful especially when coordinated with team.  IJN CA grind from T7-9 is quite the same and pretty boring though.  RU cruisers are just more useful in general imo.

But if you are getting T10, then the Zao is actually pretty excellent, like better at DPM than the Moskva.

Mogami with 155mm is pretty fun for me :D

294 posts
2,997 battles

Hehe... I am sorry for grinning like an idiot. First off, thank you all for the plethora of suggestions. I really appreciate it especially the in-depth and detailed breakdown of the characteristics of both lines. As for why I can't pursue them all, I am playing on a standard account and already pursuing the DD and BB lines. As much as I would love to catch them all, it is gonna be damn tiring and honestly just like WOT, WOWS is the same PVP repetition. Eventually it starts getting heavier at least for me. So I decided to remain loyal to one line each for every ship type. But as I see, people are pretty much split in this regard. All in all, it seems I can't go wrong with either line.

1) Tier accession wise it seems VMF has quite the edge as IJN ships seems copy paste play style from tier 6 to 9.

2) IJN ships seem more flexible and capable of solo game-play in case the need arises for brawling. This kinda makes them a good tactical strategy teachers.

3) Though thinking in advance and planning your moves is required for VMF too but all in all as long as you remain in the back with other ships you can pretty much pepper targets while bigger allies take the flak.

So it seems IJN follow a multipurpose game play with no individuality until tier 10 while VMF follow a linear kiting gameplay while HE spamming with every ship bringing something new to the table... Oh good god both of them look good to me... mj4lzq.png

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

how about you pick VMF first then grind IJN after u finish it and have nothing to do do/ get bored?

146 posts
10,243 battles

If I had my time again I would stick to IJN. I am a little disappointed with Moskva - it can dish out ungodly amounts of hurt in the right circumstances but is hard to do well in. I haven't unlocked Zao yet (am still in Ibuki). But I am scared of Zao in Moskva - its HE does more damage and if it's bow on there is not much i can do to hurt it. It can disengage when it wants to, or close in and torp.

Looking back, I think Budy was the pick of the Russian line. The IJNs are similar, aside from Mogami, which is great fun. But I think Zao will be great.

My real suggestion is to go for the German line. It has some low points, but Konigsburg, Yorck and Hindenburg have all been standouts. Indeed, I find it hard to imagine a better all round cruiser in the game than Hindenburg; Zaos are no threat to her in a 1v1 and I'll be surprised if I enjoy Zao as much.

294 posts
2,997 battles

Well, thank you all for your priceless suggestions and advice. Sadly it was all boiling down to pros and cons and they were all equalizing out so I was getting more and more double minded. In the end, after mulling it over for a week, I decided to keep pushing for RU line since I was closer to Budyony compared to Aoba. Without a doubt, RU cruiser line is fun, but after playing a few matches I decided to pick up the IJN line again instead. I did so purely because I realized how team dependent the RU cruisers performance is. Twenty games into my Bud and I kept getting teams that were playing passively. Though I was kiting plenty the fact that my team was just on the run most of the time, ended up me being the pinata for the enemy as they wanted the HE spamming prick more than the BB next to me. What made things worse was most of the time my front two guns were useless as running in a zig zag fashion didn't give you much opportunities to utilize them. Don't get me wrong, there were games where I was an absolute headache for the red guys with constant shelling but those games were only possible because my team kept the pressure on. The moment the reverse happened, I was a smoking pile sinking into the ocean and I don't know why but in Asia server, most people do not like to communicate much and mostly are pacifists looking for someone else to take the initiative. Maybe I'll pick up the RU line again if I ever make any friends here. The line definitely shines when you have people working with you with a strategy in mind. Sadly for newbies like me, that is not possible at the moment.

Anywayz, thank you all again. Much appreciated all the tips.

Regards,

LP

EDIT: @ Mister_Teatime: I'll think about it. Right now as it stands, even IJN line feels like a compromise but I don't want to jump to conclusion on a stock Furutaka. Still a lot of folks recommend it, so i'll definitely have a look at it.

Edited by LonerPrime

294 posts
2,997 battles

Why not both?

Heh because I don't have the time. I am pursuing the IJN BB, IJN CV, US DD and pondering over a cruiser line. Sadly it is pretty taxing to do all that on a standard account and I can only play for a few hours every day.

Super Tester
7,567 posts
8,001 battles

Heh because I don't have the time. I am pursuing the IJN BB, IJN CV, US DD and pondering over a cruiser line. Sadly it is pretty taxing to do all that on a standard account and I can only play for a few hours every day.

Eventually it will happen. I can only play during the weekends, and somehow I got up to Montana and really close to Yamato and Khaba. Also I don't use premium account, and many battles in regular-non-tech tree ships. If you take it easy, you actually get it faster.

294 posts
2,997 battles

Eventually it will happen. I can only play during the weekends, and somehow I got up to Montana and really close to Yamato and Khaba. Also I don't use premium account, and many battles in regular-non-tech tree ships. If you take it easy, you actually get it faster.

Yea this is why I am considering picking up German/IJN line where solo play is still possible. Eventually if I make friends down the line, I'll pick up Budy again but solo play really is a feast or famine kind of deal with the Russian cruisers. Your performance is directly related to how good your front liners are because you can't take a hit from any angle and staying at max range is your only chance to dodge stuff with the wide turning rate.

980 posts
12,617 battles

Yeah, I can't play Budy either. These are my games I played today. Look at that abysmal Budy score compared to other ships.

9W9JWUM.png

Wow. 

With stats like these you are definitely king around here. 

*looks shamefully at own stats*

294 posts
2,997 battles

Those damage numbers, I swear I thought I was the problem because even though a 100 shell hits, all I would averagely do is about 30 to 40k damage per game with just measly 5 fires at minimum. Not sure how to say this with a straight face because RU line is considered pretty OP but, honestly I think Budy might need a bit of fire chance boost or dmg boost of some kind? I mean the DPS rate is so slow that most of the time the team is already dead while you are still spamming enemy battleships that just keeps eating your shells at 300 damage per hit. Maybe things change for the better when you get IFHE? I dunno since my captain is still 9 points only but Budy in its stock form has just its gun and speed saving the grace. Other than that everything else is pretty mediocre across the board.

Sign in to follow this