Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Bigbrownbear

Strafing from behind (CV talk)

14 comments in this topic

20 posts
994 battles

Hello all, 

I was just in a match where I got completely wrecked in an unexpected way. Tier 4, in my langley, enemy is in his, first 2 minutes I get a strafe on his fighters and take out 4 of them - he has 3 left. Then as mine are still strafing, he manages to get his back around mine and follow them the rest of the way. He wiped out my entire squadron of 7 fighters in one go, crippling me for the rest of the match. He did this again later when I got a dive bomber squadron strike on an enemy BB. Again, he manages to pull up behind them, strafe from behind and poof, they're all gone in 1-2 seconds. 

The guy knew what he was doing, and with that type of disadvantage against a skilled player for the rest of the match, combined with being on the losing team - it was definitely a famine game. It was a really humiliating affair as I usually do pretty well in the Langley.

Now the second instance of his strafing on the DB's I understand - I've done it before on TB's and DBs. 

But it was that initial strafe that threw me into complete disarray, as I've only ever seen this done once before but marked it up to luck. Whenever I've tried to do it the planes waste a few seconds flying around in a big circle and by the time they come about the enemy squadron has moved well on. But this time it was just whip-zip - they turned on a dime and sgtarted following mine the whole way and strafing them the entire time - 3 fighters took out 7 and crippled me for the rest of the match by giving him complete air superiority.

How does one manage this maneuver? As mentioned I've never gotten it to work, but obviously some can. Or was it just a fluke or a bug or something? I asked him how he did it in chat but he didn't respond.

Edited by Bigbrownbear

[SGC]
93 posts
6,371 battles

Honestly until they remove strafing I will never play another CV, it's just a crazy mechanic which is not even needed where the CV performance/skill gap is already so wide. Also take into account players lag, my ping is 30-40 and I've strafed right over the top of enemy planes and not destroyed a single one, that player must of had lag... very frustrating.

Personally I hope they remove it in the upcoming CV overhaul.

Edited by KillStealz

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,013 battles

That is something called "counterstrafing". The mechanics is the same as a normal strafe except you need to time it well in order to strafe right behind him, making sure that the strafe reticle is placed far enough from your fighter to prevent looping (low tier USN CVs have long strafes so you can practice there). Calm down and place the strafe properly. This is NOT a bug and is on the higher end of CV skills.

20 posts
994 battles

View PostKillStealz, on 23 March 2017 - 08:22 AM, said:

Honestly until they remove strafing I will never play another CV, it's just a crazy mechanic which is not even needed where the CV performance/skill gap is ale ready so wide. Also take into account players lag, my ping is 30-40 and I've strafed right over the top of enemy planes and not destroyed a single one, that player must of had lag... very frustrating.

I'll probably cop a bit of flak, but I totally agree. I think it's a ridiculous mechanic. Fighter management at later tiers just becomes a game of cat-and-mouse who-can-strafe-who first before sticking-and-killing the reduced strength squad. Personally I find it's incredibly boring and tedious. 

Edited by Bigbrownbear

20 posts
994 battles

That is something called "counterstrafing". The mechanics is the same as a normal strafe except you need to time it well in order to strafe right behind him, making sure that the strafe reticle is placed far enough from your fighter to prevent looping (low tier USN CVs have long strafes so you can practice there). Calm down and place the strafe properly. This is NOT a bug and is on the higher end of CV skills.

Do you know of a thread somewhere or youtube video etc that demonstrates how to perform this, please?

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,013 battles

I'll probably cop a bit of flak, but I totally agree. I think it's a ridiculous mechanic. Fighter management at later tiers just becomes a game of who-can-strafe-who first before sticking-and-killing the reduced strength squad. It's incredibly boring and tedious. 

Higher tier players tend to be more competent in dodging strafes. Strafes can be a way to get victory, but it is NOT guaranteed to work.

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,013 battles

Do you know of a thread somewhere or youtube video etc that demonstrates how to perform this, please?

Not that I know of, but pretty much everyone knows this tactic exists. I'll try to record the next time I pull one off.

[SGC]
93 posts
6,371 battles

I'll probably cop a bit of flak, but I totally agree. I think it's a ridiculous mechanic. Fighter management at later tiers just becomes a game of cat-and-mouse who-can-strafe-who first before sticking-and-killing the reduced strength squad. Personally I find it's incredibly boring and tedious. 

Ship strafing for USN CVs which increases the targets cooldown on ship consumables and Kamikaze for IJN would be some cool mechanics to replace it with.

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,013 battles

Ship strafing for USN CVs which increases the targets cooldown on ship consumables and Kamikaze for IJN would be some cool mechanics to replace it with.

WG has stated that kamikazes will not be implemented.

As for shipstrafing... I don't know if its coming, but WG has said that fighters capable of attacking ships are "in production". That should be a thing, to be honest.

20 posts
994 battles

Not that I know of, but pretty much everyone knows this tactic exists. I'll try to record the next time I pull one off.

That'd be fantastic, thank you.

Do you see any hope for the USN line in the near future, or do you think going through the IJN line is still pretty much the go-to-option for the foreseeable future?

1,105 posts

LOL SEAL CLUBBER! why langley have air supremacy commander skill?

How does one manage this maneuver? As mentioned I've never gotten it to work, but obviously some can. Or was it just a fluke or a bug or something? I asked him how he did it in chat but he didn't respond.

of course he wont respond, its some secret of unicum they wont tell you :V

1. DONT LAG >> lag MAKE FAIL STRAFE >> PLANE SLOWER DOWN BEFORE STRAFING >> PESKY FAIL

2. Strafe bring the RNG factor for damage calculation, may be you are just bad luck

3. as USN CV are more stronger againts Strafe from the front, but got weaker againts strafe from the ass

4. you should alt+click in a bit farther, the faster the plane, the farther alt click (but not so far)

5. dont fly on obvious way

Honestly until they remove strafing I will never play another CV, it's just a crazy mechanic which is not even needed where the CV performance/skill gap is already so wide. Also take into account players lag, my ping is 30-40 and I've strafed right over the top of enemy planes and not destroyed a single one, that player must of had lag... very frustrating.

Strafe is actually make the game balance, without strafe.... RIP surface ship

just learn how to strafe, btw lagging enemy wont cause fail strafe.... ITS YOU WHO LAGGING... sometime SPIKE lag is occured!

[and its really annoying bro]

Higher tier players tend to be more competent in dodging strafes. Strafes can be a way to get victory, but it is NOT guaranteed to work.

Yep... annoying faster plane..... AND OVERPOWERED SAIPAN.... that plane is impossible to strafe+always win in right click battle

btw, DID THEY REMOVE STRAFE in tier 4&5 CV on 0.6.30?

ITS going to be ridiculously weird

460 posts
8,313 battles

This is a fine example of how the strafe mechanic makes it possible for a more skilled player to dominate another CV totally. It's a nice mechanic but I feel that it punishes newer CV players which in turn keeps the population down. Perhaps that is why they removed strafing from T4 and T5 CVs in 0.6.3? Many T4-5 CVs are seal clubbers (I think most), so with out strafing available for them to dominate perhaps they'll move to a higher tier.

I haven't tried the new UI yet, hopefully it makes it easier for newer players to use the strafing mechanic, which should help. Hopefully it also improves your ability to dodge.

20 posts
994 battles

Still hate strafing lol. 

My beef with it is that it's just a really boring mechanic.

In my Hiryu matches are just decided on who can strafe who first. Get lucky with strafing and you've got air dominance, now the other CV is toast. Really needs to be taken out of the game imo.

Edited by Bigbrownbear

Sign in to follow this