Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HMS_Swiftsure_08

IMPERATOR NIKOLAI I

17 comments in this topic

1,386 posts
8,224 battles

I guess it's a big hooray for those who happen to own this ugly sausage.

It has been an OP ship since release and has seen multiple buffs.

1. Matchmaker change. Previously Nikolai often meets T6 ships, and now she only meets up to T5. Take the ever popular IJN line, Kongo only has ~65% firepower of Fuso.

2. IJN DD rework. No more super fast torps from Isokaze and Minekaze.

3. British cruisers. Devastating strike.

4. Skill rework. Unlike high tier BBs which get totally roasted by IFHE, Nikolai has good armor covering almost her entire hull and own no superstructure. And low tier people don't have IFHE. But you can own fire prevention to greatly reduce the amount of fire damage you receive.

5. Flooding change. Not significant but still a buff.

And now, Nikolai's biggest fear, low tier sealclubber CV is soon to be gone.

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

1. Matchmaker change. Previously Nikolai often meets T6 ships, and now she only meets up to T5. Take the ever popular IJN line, Kongo only has ~65% firepower of Fuso.

4. Skill rework. Unlike high tier BBs which get totally roasted by IFHE, Nikolai has good armor covering almost her entire hull and own no superstructure. And low tier people don't have IFHE. But you can own fire prevention to greatly reduce the amount of fire damage you receive.

i can still kill it using Gremy and Kamikaze

460 posts
8,295 battles

The Nikolai might be OP, but it's not some kind of magic super BB. The main reason it is OP is because of its turret layout, it basically allows 75% of your firepower to be used whilst still being very well angled. Armour wise she's not much tougher/weaker than the other T4 BBs, it's just that you can angle her well. Her guns themselves are pretty good (although not perfect), and without much super structure it's harder to set fire to her. She is however slow and still vulnerable to torpedos, especially from low tier CVs (which is the only space you see them regularly). You can still set fire to her just it's not as easy.

However she still had trouble at T6, she was out-ranged and has her armour over matched by T6 BBs (esp Warspite and Bayern) and cruisers could kite her very effectively. She could do ok, but in many cases struggled for the same reasons something like Wyoming would at T6.

I've not heard about any of the changes you talk about, so I looked at the patch notes on the main world of warships portal and didn't see any sign of what you describe. Can you point us toward your source of information for those changes?

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

So basically you need a premium ship that cant be obtain anymore to kill a premium ship that also cant be obtain anymore.

balance

109 posts
5,101 battles

The Nikolai might be OP, but it's not some kind of magic super BB. The main reason it is OP is because of its turret layout, it basically allows 75% of your firepower to be used whilst still being very well angled. Armour wise she's not much tougher/weaker than the other T4 BBs, it's just that you can angle her well. Her guns themselves are pretty good (although not perfect), and without much super structure it's harder to set fire to her. She is however slow and still vulnerable to torpedos, especially from low tier CVs (which is the only space you see them regularly). You can still set fire to her just it's not as easy.

However she still had trouble at T6, she was out-ranged and has her armour over matched by T6 BBs (esp Warspite and Bayern) and cruisers could kite her very effectively. She could do ok, but in many cases struggled for the same reasons something like Wyoming would at T6.

I've not heard about any of the changes you talk about, so I looked at the patch notes on the main world of warships portal and didn't see any sign of what you describe. Can you point us toward your source of information for those changes?

Do you even play the game now? Tier 4 has protected MM for a long time, which means it cannot meet tier VI except when they fail div. So it will remain OP. 

CVs are abundant at lower tiers, 70% of my matches has CVs in them. Player skills are pretty questionable however. So if you meet a Nikolai, pray that your fellow CVs and DDs are sealclubbers or that Nikolai is a potato. 

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,859 battles

At least, you would not be roasted by a Gremy you would never get vision of.

Now you will be roasted by a Gremy you helplessly watch as the Gremy's shells slowly cook you to the maximum degree of done-ness.

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

At least, you would not be roasted by a Gremy you would never get vision of.

Now you will be roasted by a Gremy you helplessly watch as the Gremy's shells slowly cook you to the maximum degree of done-ness.

well, if you can see who shooting at u, then u still have small chance to hit him....

better than nothing right?

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,859 battles

well, if you can see who shooting at u, then u still have small chance to hit him....

better than nothing right?

Depends, but normally not when this bugger captained by a super-unicum who can predict shots from 14+ km. I was once one-shotted a full-health hatsuharu from 17km with a Fuso once without actually detonating it though. Need to sacrifice the whole year of my lottery-winning luck to pull that off though.
Edited by Admiral_Neptulussus

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,859 battles

Yah giff me Nikolai and Gremy, I promise I wont club at all. I just collect ships.

IKR, you don't need a Nikolai to club. Real clubber clubs with a Myogi.:trollface:

1,487 posts

I love my Nikolai, I regularly play him,  I am very good in him, except when the secondary guns won't fire, or damn torpedo planes want to zero in on me even in a sea full of ships..  I LOVE deleting cruisers in in one salvo... Devastating strike...

Boom

It was actually this ship that taught me how to steer other ships better, because I learned to predict the rolling of the ship & timing the rudder....

But those guns...... A thing of beauty, like my moniker... Except they are from Rodney or Nelson...

Great ship to own, & people fear me in it... Lol

:child:

Back to the russian club

Ordrazz

Edited by Ordrazz

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

I love my Nikolai, I regularly play him,  I am very good in him, except when the secondary guns won't fire, or damn torpedo planes want to zero in on me even in a sea full of ships..  I LOVE deleting cruisers in in one salvo... Devastating strike...

Boom

It was actually this ship that taught me how to steer other ships better, because I learned to predict the rolling of the ship & timing the rudder....

But those guns...... A thing of beauty, like my moniker... Except they are from Rodney or Nelson...

Great ship to own, & people fear me in it... Lol

:child:

Back to the russian club

Ordrazz

Can we sync drop? I really wish we could be on the same match. Opposite side preferably :p

460 posts
8,295 battles

Do you even play the game now? Tier 4 has protected MM for a long time, which means it cannot meet tier VI except when they fail div. So it will remain OP. 

CVs are abundant at lower tiers, 70% of my matches has CVs in them. Player skills are pretty questionable however. So if you meet a Nikolai, pray that your fellow CVs and DDs are sealclubbers or that Nikolai is a potato. 

Yes I do, but I played the Nikolai a fair bit when he did meet T6 ships. Note the use of past tense. Still play him occasionally. Yeah it's OP and will likely remain so, but the OP doesn't seem to understand why the Nikolai is strong, perhaps because they haven't played him, and that many of those "buffs" weren't really much of a buff to Nikolai at all.

1. She wasn't great at T6 games, so the MM change to +/- 1 was generally a positive thing for it and teams that got stuck with it at T6.

2. IJN DDs can still torpedo it, it's still slow to maneuver and if you fire from a flank you'll still wreck it.

3. Low tier british cruisers get punished by all BBs or anyone firing AP at their broadside. Their existence buffs every BB by that logic.

4. Skill rework affected all the ships equally, why wouldn't someone have IFHE if they played and liked their T4 ships alot? Also fire has never really been a big issue for the Nikolai even before the change.

5. Flooding changes affected everyone equally, that and the way you position the Nikolai means fish will often miss your torpedo belt, which isn't spectacular when they do hit it.

Finally I doubt we'll be seeing less CV's, in fact we'll see more for a short time after the patch as people try them out again. In fact because strafing has been removed for T4-5 the low tier population of CVs may grow.

Again what makes Nikolai strong is her turret placement, she can fire most of her armament whilst well angled and advance slowly on her objective. Wrecking CLs and BBs foolish enough to broadside in front of her, and chasing anyway anyone else. DDs still can hard counter it and flanking fire at its broadside still hurts, but many playing at that level haven't worked out how to deal with it. That and pretty much everyone that owns it must be fairly experienced now as it was sold quite a while ago. Unless of course you're a potato.

Sign in to follow this