Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LordTyphoon

French Cruiser Armour Layout

5 comments in this topic

980 posts
12,617 battles

Hey guys,

Any of you had time to check out the new French cruisers in public test 0.6.3?

There's no statistics available for each of the ships yet, but the ship model is available in the PTS for you to see, and they look gorgeous. You can also have a look at their armour schemes. 

Of course, being primarily a cruiser player, I was curious and decided to investigate the armour and what it would mean for gameplay. 

I'm not sure what to make of what I found. 

E.g. Emilie Bertin at tier 5 has two layers of armour protecting her citadel - a 13mm 'armoured belt' on the outside, and then a 13mm 'citadel torpedo bulkhead'. Its weird because the citadel torpedo bulkhead layer is also raised well above the waterline, meaning that it isn't just a bulkhead? But it also gives the citadel horizontal protection?

Also, 13mm x 2 is a bit weak in terms of protection for tier 5 - Furutaka, Emerald and Omaha have a single belt of 76mm, Konigsberg gets a double belt of 50mm on the outside + 15mm on the inside, even the glass cannon Kirov gets 50mm! Is there some mechanic in the game for dual armour belt layers that I'm not aware of? The armour does not appear angled for turtleback purposes. 

E.g. With the Algerie at tier 7, you see even more peculiar armour layouts. Bits of the citadel armour belt (110mm) is directly on the hull of this ship. The remainder of the citadel has two layers - an inner plate of 40mm (called the citadel torpedo bulkhead) which is covered by an armoured belt on top of 110mm. So bits of the citadel get an extra 40mm of inner armour protection. Again, the inner plating and casemate armour do not appear to be angle to provide any turtleback-type protection.

Experts, please explain. :)

420 posts
20 battles

Still updating my PT client.

Torpedo bulkhead counts as armor.

And oh, it is not anti torp bulge but anti torp bulkhead.

Anti torp wall or something written at japanese.

Tier 5 emile bertin, double walls of 13mm.

This lulzy armor probably meant that the ship could actually making any BB AP shots overpen.

Double walls mean no HE citadel.

Kamikaze would pen this ship.

Tier 10 Henry IV

This ship looks like meme, at front, 160mm citadel, 25mm bow armor like Zao or Moskva,

but at side, 45mm citadel armor protected by 30mm outer plating and 19mm bulge

Designed to face tank and overpen ?

Edited by Zwelivelle

423 posts

This 

E.g. Emilie Bertin at tier 5 has two layers of armour protecting her citadel - a 13mm 'armoured belt' on the outside, and then a 13mm 'citadel torpedo bulkhead'. Its weird because the citadel torpedo bulkhead layer is also raised well above the waterline, meaning that it isn't just a bulkhead? But it also gives the citadel horizontal protection?

This seems like spaced armoring like what is found in WOT.  

Would this work in WOWS?

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,486 battles

Tier 10 Henry IV

This ship looks like meme, at front, 160mm citadel, 25mm bow armor like Zao or Moskva,

but at side, 45mm citadel armor protected by 30mm outer plating and 19mm bulge

Designed to face tank and overpen ?

There's three layers of side protection: 19mm Torpedo Bulge + 140mm Armour Belt + 45mm Citadel Plating.

The 140mm Armour Belt is on the back side of the Torpedo Bulge plating - you can see it by switching off the Casemate Armour section.

NBuITAA.jpg

Edited by Unraveler

420 posts
20 battles

Only managed to see that with this angle.

Looks like submerged to me

Edit, this one better picture.

30mm case armor |  space ....................................................................................| 30mm

19mm torp bulge   | 140mm armor | space | 45mm citadel armor | space | 140mm | 19mm

Welp it is back to back with the torp bulge, nice to notice that.

The citadel is very low.

Edited by Zwelivelle

Sign in to follow this