Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Riiyuuu

Opinion regarding RNCL playstyle

34 comments in this topic

[BLUMR]
23 posts
3,840 battles

I have been grinding RNCLs from T2 until now in Leander. although it is a very hard grind, it does teach me a lot of things. I have been watching a lot of guides on upcoming tier ship reviews of RNCLs to prepare my captain and also have an idea of what am I going to face down the line. And almost all of the guides mention smoke as a necessities.

​Personally I find hiding in a smoke and fire is very disgusting so I have been avoiding using smoke from T5 until T6 (the ship I'm in) and help spot ships using catapult fighters. After watching and reading the reviews, I'm starting to wonder, is my play style preventing RNCLs from showing its full potential? Most of the videos they get like ridiculous amount of damage while I get 30k average each match.

​So, I would like to ask those who have experience in T7-T10 match in RNCLs, is smoke really necessary in order to do well in matches? Not necessary top fragging, just not at the bottom of the score list at the end of the match.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

I have been grinding RNCLs from T2 until now in Leander. although it is a very hard grind, it does teach me a lot of things. I have been watching a lot of guides on upcoming tier ship reviews of RNCLs to prepare my captain and also have an idea of what am I going to face down the line. And almost all of the guides mention smoke as a necessities.

​Personally I find hiding in a smoke and fire is very disgusting so I have been avoiding using smoke from T5 until T6 (the ship I'm in) and help spot ships using catapult fighters. After watching and reading the reviews, I'm starting to wonder, is my play style preventing RNCLs from showing its full potential? Most of the videos they get like ridiculous amount of damage while I get 30k average each match.

​So, I would like to ask those who have experience in T7-T10 match in RNCLs, is smoke really necessary in order to do well in matches? Not necessary top fragging, just not at the bottom of the score list at the end of the match.

if you play RNCL, you use smoke, end of story

381 posts
9,957 battles

Why would you grind a line that has smoke + AP as a unique flavor, and then weaken yourself by not utilizing smoke?  

On your question I'd say yes, not using smoke will limit yourself to like 30% of your maximum potential. If you don't want to be bottom of scoreboard it's easy though, you can hug an island + stealth fire and farm damage on BB 15km away or just charge into cap at the start and kill one DD which should be enough to place you at the middle of the board.

[BLUMR]
23 posts
3,840 battles

Lol... Why disgusting? Im curious?

seen as cowardly i assume

​As Drakon said, I do think that spamming inside smoke is a coward move. Yeah you may argue that it is a tactic but I would rather being killed by someone that have higher skill than me (in terms of  positioning, aiming, torping...) rather than some pesky DDs/RNCLs that decided to smoke up nearby and spam HE/AP from safety when I'm having a battle with other BBs (I do sail BBs, just that I prefer Cruisers in general) without me having the chance to fight back. 

​Yeah I know I'm not good enough (and I'm trying to git gud), just that firing inside the smoke annoys me. Maybe because I came from games where smokes are used to create a temporary vision block to the enemy and friendlies, not a one way mirror that blinds the enemy but DDs inside the smoke still can fire inside it chanting hakuna matata.   

[BLUMR]
23 posts
3,840 battles

Why would you grind a line that has smoke + AP as a unique flavor, and then weaken yourself by not utilizing smoke?  

Because I want to try out a line that has fast firing guns that I can play like Tenryuu. Atlanta is like RM200 here (expensive) and almost all the lines converges to heavy cruisers at one point. And then I found the RN CL line.

On your question I'd say yes, not using smoke will limit yourself to like 30% of your maximum potential. If you don't want to be bottom of scoreboard it's easy though, you can hug an island + stealth fire and farm damage on BB 15km away or just charge into cap at the start and kill one DD which should be enough to place you at the middle of the board.

Hmmm... Sounds interesting. Maybe I need to change the mind set of mine regarding how the smoke works in WOWs.

Edited by Janson_Liew

420 posts
20 battles

1. Smoke not affecting you only, they also benefical to your allies.

2. You help redirect enemy torpedoes to your smoke, it is quite valiant to my opinion.

3. You give reason for your enemy to pop radar instead to your other teammate.

Smoke is not coward, it is brave.

980 posts
12,617 battles

1. Smoke not affecting you only, they also benefical to your allies.

2. You help redirect enemy torpedoes to your smoke, it is quite valiant to my opinion.

3. You give reason for your enemy to pop radar instead to your other teammate.

Smoke is not coward, it is brave.

YES. 

520 posts
11,127 battles

​As Drakon said, I do think that spamming inside smoke is a coward move. Yeah you may argue that it is a tactic but I would rather being killed by someone that have higher skill than me (in terms of  positioning, aiming, torping...) rather than some pesky DDs/RNCLs that decided to smoke up nearby and spam HE/AP from safety when I'm having a battle with other BBs (I do sail BBs, just that I prefer Cruisers in general) without me having the chance to fight back. 

​Yeah I know I'm not good enough (and I'm trying to git gud), just that firing inside the smoke annoys me. Maybe because I came from games where smokes are used to create a temporary vision block to the enemy and friendlies, not a one way mirror that blinds the enemy but DDs inside the smoke still can fire inside it chanting hakuna matata.   

ok i respect your opinion.

Definition of COWARDICE in Google

- Lack of Bravery

But, 

IMHO

If youre gonna fight in the virtual world... use what tools you have at your disposal.... Bravery is irrelevant in the game.. because we all behind A monitor and Keyboard here. lol....  

RN Cruisers in WG are successful because they are a merging of 2 classes.  DD and CL.  (DD smoke, CL Firepower)... this is at the expense of pretty much Glass armor.

Smoke is there for you to survive in order to be more beneficial for the team.    if you gonna play Royal Navy... you gonna use smoke, and if you going face to face with a "Coward" RN cruiser in smoke the same, learn to counter it:)

Good luck with your RN Grind:) 

980 posts
12,617 battles

Oh please. Yet another person whining about RN cruisers. 

Here is a list of many things I have to consider/watch/think about before, during, and for after I set up my smokescreen:

1. Will there by a friendly ship to spot for me when I smoke up?

2. Am I going to be in the path of any incoming enemy capital ships when I smoke up that I wont be able to see approaching? Last thing I want is to find a Izumo sailing at me at full speed bow on 5km away before my hydro picks him up.

3. Where are the enemy DDs, what are their torpedo ranges?

4. Who has radar and hydroacoustic on the enemy team, and what are their ranges?

5. How will I angle my boat so that I can run from any incoming torpedoes that will inevitably come without getting hit? From which direction are they likely to come in? How tight will the spreads be, based on the DDs that may be firing them?

6. What is the minimum time that I have before I can reasonably expect some torpedoes to be fired at my boat based on the last position of the enemy destroyers?

7. If I was the enemy destroyer(s), what tactics will I employ over the next 100 seconds or so to try to kill me?

8. Do any enemy battleships or AP cruisers have their guns pointed at my smoke so that I will have to move backwards and forwards in my smoke to avoid getting blind fired? When should I time my moves backwards and forwards so that I wont be caught reversing broadside to incoming torpedoes?

9. What is my escape route if the enemy radar comes online (or if worse, if enemy hydro picks me up, which means they are very very close).

10. Would it be possible that when I escape, an enemy ship is waiting to trap me behind behind an island or something, and which way should I turn my guns when I run?

11. When my smoke clears and I run, will I be detected? Which opponent should I shoot at?

12. At who should I aim and fire my torpedoes? Do I need to save my torpedoes to shoot anyone who may try to yolo charge my smoke?

All while doing this, I have to aim and shoot my guns once every 7.5 seconds. 

So please, don't say shooting up from within smoke is cowardly play or easy. To do it well, a crap tonne of strategy and pre-planning is required. 

Edited by LordTyphoon

892 posts
7,853 battles

If you don't use the smoke that RNCLs are blessed with, you really should not be playing the RNCL line. The RU CL line may be a more suitable substitute.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

If you don't use the smoke that RNCLs are blessed with, you really should not be playing the RNCL line. The RU CL line may be a more suitable substitute.

well if he manages to fail his way up to the edinbrough without using smoke then i guess he can trade the smoke for radar...

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,832 posts
4,122 battles

well if he manages to fail his way up to the edinbrough without using smoke then i guess he can trade the smoke for radar...

Not saying this applies to the OP but eventually even the worst player gets a T10 ship but by being bad for long enough.  WOT was often described as a sewerage tank because the shit just floated to the top...................................

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

How ironic that these kind of "cowards" were the ones who won WW2. the US Army was like "live to fight another day than die for nothing". While the Japanese was brave to enough to "fight to the death" but still they lost WW2.

[BLUMR]
23 posts
3,840 battles

Oh please. Yet another person whining about RN cruisers. 

Here is a list of many things I have to consider/watch/think about before, during, and for after I set up my smokescreen:

1. Will there by a friendly ship to spot for me when I smoke up?

2. Am I going to be in the path of any incoming enemy capital ships when I smoke up that I wont be able to see approaching? Last thing I want is to find a Izumo sailing at me at full speed bow on 5km away before my hydro picks him up.

3. Where are the enemy DDs, what are their torpedo ranges?

4. Who has radar and hydroacoustic on the enemy team, and what are their ranges?

5. How will I angle my boat so that I can run from any incoming torpedoes that will inevitably come without getting hit? From which direction are they likely to come in? How tight will the spreads be, based on the DDs that may be firing them?

6. What is the minimum time that I have before I can reasonably expect some torpedoes to be fired at my boat based on the last position of the enemy destroyers?

7. If I was the enemy destroyer(s), what tactics will I employ over the next 100 seconds or so to try to kill me?

8. Do any enemy battleships or AP cruisers have their guns pointed at my smoke so that I will have to move backwards and forwards in my smoke to avoid getting blind fired? When should I time my moves backwards and forwards so that I wont be caught reversing broadside to incoming torpedoes?

9. What is my escape route if the enemy radar comes online (or if worse, if enemy hydro picks me up, which means they are very very close).

10. Would it be possible that when I escape, an enemy ship is waiting to trap me behind behind an island or something, and which way should I turn my guns when I run?

11. When my smoke clears and I run, will I be detected? Which opponent should I shoot at?

12. At who should I aim and fire my torpedoes? Do I need to save my torpedoes to shoot anyone who may try to yolo charge my smoke?

All while doing this, I have to aim and shoot my guns once every 7.5 seconds. 

So please, don't say shooting up from within smoke is cowardly play or easy. To do it well, a crap tonne of strategy and pre-planning is required. 

​Wow, that's an eye-opening stuff for me. I don't know there are so many stuff to consider when firing in the smoke. When I play DD (I suck in DD, stopped at T3) I always smoke for my teammates so I don't know the inner working of it. Sorry for my ignorance.   

[BLUMR]
23 posts
3,840 battles

It seems that my post asking for opinion have triggered some people. As I mentioned in the above post, I underestimated the skill ceiling for using smoke. At here,

​I would like to apologize to everyone that I have triggered with my ignorance regarding smoke usage

​I don't spend that much time on this game so this explains my inexperience. Thank you to everyone who gave me insights regarding smoke usage and the significance of smoke usage in RNCL line. Next time I fire up my game I'll try to use smoke screen. Again,

Sorry and thank you.

Super Tester
562 posts
4,462 battles

Hi Janson. Smoke is pretty much a necessity with the RN lines and you basically have to feed of your teams spotting as much as possible. Don't forget your armour is like paper and yone salvo can destroy you.

Nb: the you tube videos are not a good indication as to a ships normal damage output. Let's face it, you'll never see an average game on them. You tubers only put the best games up and how many games did they play to get that game, 

Good luck. 

Ensign 

420 posts
20 battles

I'm not triggered tho, just putting some other way of thinking.

Btw, i noticed that no one tells about the way to crank up damage output for RN CL other than mentioning smoke, and Lord Typhoon's check list.

If your avg damage stated at your ship statistics shows 30k, then it should be good enough for Leander.

Not super but, good enough.

https://asia.warships.today/vehicle/4183734224/Leander

31K avg damage at Asian server.

980 posts
12,617 battles

​Wow, that's an eye-opening stuff for me. I don't know there are so many stuff to consider when firing in the smoke. When I play DD (I suck in DD, stopped at T3) I always smoke for my teammates so I don't know the inner working of it. Sorry for my ignorance.   

Thats alright mate, I love my RN cruisers and would really like more people to appreciate that they are probably the most challenging ship class to play overall. 

Hope you found this enlightening. 

[APS]
80 posts
6,432 battles

I need to figure out why I loved the Emerald but find the Leander meh

Sign in to follow this