You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
cyqsimon

Match Maker should Attempt to Balance Ships

5 comments in this topic

[PANTS]
39 posts
10,046 battles

In the current match making system, the match maker would try to balance the teams according to ship tier and ship nation. I recognize the effort in trying to make more balanced matches. However it does have problems.

It is no secret that different ships of the same tier and nation perform differently. Specifically for ranked, almost everyone would agree that Sims > Mahan, Atlanta > Indianapolis / Pensacola, Leningrad > Minsk (/ Kiev), Belfast > Fiji. Yet all those are examples of ships that have the same tier and nation. So sometimes you end up with match making like this:

Scharnhorst Gneisenau
Nagato Scharnhorst
Belfast Fiji
Belfast Fiji
Belfast Myoko
Sims Akatsuki
Sims Mahan

I think it is pretty obvious which team has more favorable match making, yet this distribution does not violate any principles of the current match maker. More importantly, this actually happens from time to time in this season of ranked.

I recognize that it is probably not practical to assign each ship a performance score and try to balance teams based on that. But I think differentiating ships by what actual ship it is is a good start. For example, if the match maker has three Belfasts, two Fijis, and a Myoko in a pool, it would understand that putting all three Belfasts on one side is not a good idea (because they are the same ship), and thus attempt to make two teams like this:

Belfast Belfast
Belfast Fiji
Fiji Myoko

Not only does this allow more play styles for each time, it also makes the teams more balanced and thus more enjoyable.

This is particularly the case for ranked, because in random battles player skills tend to outweigh the ships they play. But I will definitely be happy to see an updated match making being used outside of ranked as well.

1,069 posts
3,847 battles

Someone might remember better,but I think one of the patches last year was supposed to do what you are saying.But MM is known to rarely work as advertised!

Ok,actually found it fairly quickly,I was right and wrong! 0.5.8 didn't sort it:

https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/update-notes-main/release-notes-058/

The new matchmaker logic does not provide for any 'mixing' of ships by nation -- there could be a theoretical situation where three Japanese destroyers will encounter three U.S. destroyers

But 0.5.9 'should':

https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/update-notes-main/release-notes-059/

In line with the matchmaker development plan, we restored the ship sorting rule:

Now the matchmaker tries to uniformly distribute ships of different nations between the teams. For example, if two Soviet Gnevny destroyers and two Japanese Minekaze destroyers are present, the matchmaker will attempt to put one destroyer of each nation on each team. This rule will positively affect the quality of team balancing and make battles more even.

So as I said,MM rarely works as advertised!

[PANTS]
39 posts
10,046 battles

Someone might remember better,but I think one of the patches last year was supposed to do what you are saying.But MM is known to rarely work as advertised!

Ok,actually found it fairly quickly,I was right and wrong! 0.5.8 didn't sort it:

https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/update-notes-main/release-notes-058/

But 0.5.9 'should':

https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/update-notes-main/release-notes-059/

So as I said,MM rarely works as advertised!

I think we have a misunderstanding here. The change you mentioned is already in the current match maker: you wouldn't have 3 Sims v 3 Shiratsuyus. But you can still have 3 Belfasts v 3 Fijis, since they are of the same nation and therefore are equivalent in the eyes of the match maker. This is the problem I'm concerned with. Ships being in the same nation doesn't mean they are equally strong.